• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The bad news first...

Well, bad news for me at least...

As the wife and I were talking last night, she mentioned how pleased she was that she'd been able to find a new outfit for the wedding of a couple of our friends in two weeks time. Hmm, thinks I, remembering said event, that'll be on a Saturday then. I'd forgotten about this wedding, or at least, always considered it to be some way in the distance. These things kind of sneek up on you.

More perturbed than a young Col U fan at a family barn dance, I run upstairs to check the fixture list. I have never climbed so many stairs so rapidly.

And then my deepest fears are realised. The Shrimpers will be taking the first kick in their relegation battle against Luton just as the vicar of Friern Manor calls his congregation to order. I can't believe I'm going to miss such an important game in Southend's history.

Our final home match and potentially our most crucial of the season, gutted doesn't even come close. The ensuing debate with Mrs Hank about it being "just a football match" does little to raise my spirits.

:mad:

So now the good news...

Through careful planning of holidays and the usual methods adopted by all of you to allow you your bi-weekly worship at Roots Hall, the home of football, I have managed to attend all but just two games at Roots Hall in the last God knows how many years. The two games I missed were due to circumstances beyond my control.

Those two games? They are ones which people still talk about and will continue to talk about for years to come. The first was a certain 4-2 victory over Swansea that saw young Mr Eastwood arrive in style with a goal in under 8 seconds and a debut hat-trick. The second was a certain 1-0 victory over Manchester United that, well, you know the story.

Words cannot express my disappointment at not being at the Luton game, especially after missing those two corkers. However, I can almost guarantee us a notable victory that you will all talk about for years to come.

LUTON!! are, quite frankly, going to get spanked!

:p

Last edited:
hmmm I've read you post over and over again, but I'm still at a loss to see why you're going to miss the Luton game...
Surely the groom would cancel the wedding for such an important game...??

hmmm I've read you post over and over again, but I'm still at a loss to see why you're going to miss the Luton game...
Surely the groom would cancel the wedding for such an important game...??

He's a TV-dinner Manchester United fan and I'm starting to think he's done the whole thing on purpose!

He's a TV-dinner Manchester United fan and I'm starting to think he's done the whole thing on purpose!

I have the Radio 5 commentry of the Freddy goal as my ring tone. You can download it from the Radio 5 website I think. Make sure it goes off during the wedding vows...

The bad news first...

As the wife and I were talking last night, she mentioned how pleased she was that she'd been able to find a new outfit for the wedding of a couple of our friends in two weeks time. Hmm, thinks I, remembering said event, that'll be on a Saturday then. I'd forgotten about this wedding, or at least, always considered it to be some way in the distance. These things kind of sneek up on you.

More perturbed than a young Col U fan at a family barn dance, I run upstairs to check the fixture list. I have never climbed so many stairs so rapidly.

And then my deepest fears are realised. The Shrimpers will be taking the first kick in their relegation battle against Luton just as the vicar of Friern Manor calls his congregation to order. I can't believe I'm going to miss such an important game in Southend's history.

Our final home match and potentially our most crucial of the season, gutted doesn't even come close. The ensuing debate with Mrs Hank about it being "just a football match" does little to raise my spirits.

So now the good news...

Through careful planning of holidays and the usual methods adopted by all of you to allow you your bi-weekly worship at Roots Hall, the home of football, I have managed to attend all but just two games at Roots Hall in the last God knows how many years. The two games I missed were due to circumstances beyond my control.

Those two games? They are ones which people still talk about and will continue to talk about for years to come. The first was a certain 4-2 victory over Swansea that saw young Mr Eastwood arrive in style with a goal in under 8 seconds and a debut hat-trick. The second was a certain 1-0 victory over Manchester United that, well, you know the story.

Words cannot express my disappointment at not being at the Luton game, especially after missing those two corkers. However, I can almost guarantee us a notable victory that you will all talk about for years to come.

Barnsley are, quite frankly, going to get spanked!

OK, so the team always performs better in your absence. So why are Barnsley going to get spanked?

Saturday weddings should be banned during the football season. :mad:

Although we lost and by all accounts it was a rubbish day out but I was pretty cheesed at having to miss MK Dons away last season to sit in a freezing cold church, listening to vows which to be quite frank were absurd and being blinded by the 'orange' bridesmaids in shocking pink dresses.

Really dustybin, can't find it on there, do you have the link please?
My friend sent it to me, I think he got it from the Fighting Talk download. He may have cropped it, I'm not sure so have just emailed him to find out. Will let you know

My friend sent it to me, I think he got it from the Fighting Talk download. He may have cropped it, I'm not sure so have just emailed him to find out. Will let you know
yeah he cropped it, but if you PM me your email address I can email you the file

Saturday weddings should be banned during the football season. :mad:

Although we lost and by all accounts it was a rubbish day out but I was pretty cheesed at having to miss MK Dons away last season to sit in a freezing cold church, listening to vows which to be quite frank were absurd and being blinded by the 'orange' bridesmaids in shocking pink dresses.

You didnt miss much mate...the most souless place on earth Milton Keynes. Although hats off to their road system and car parking at the stadium. Was like parking at Asda and then going to a football game...very bizarre.

And you say the church was cold...not as cold as the open stand we had that day, no roof, no sides just us shrimpers against the elements. I started a chant "Stand up if your **** is numb" to which quite a few people did so I wasnt the only one who felt like they were bathing in liquid nitrogen.

You didnt miss much mate...the most souless place on earth Milton Keynes. Although hats off to their road system and car parking at the stadium. Was like parking at Asda and then going to a football game...very bizarre.

And you say the church was cold...not as cold as the open stand we had that day, no roof, no sides just us shrimpers against the elements. I started a chant "Stand up if your **** is numb" to which quite a few people did so I wasnt the only one who felt like they were bathing in liquid nitrogen.

yeah my dad and brother went and said i didn't miss much but my mind was in MK and not a church wedding :guns:

And presumably Fredi will score - (his last ever goal at Roots Hall ???? )

The bad news first...

So now the good news...

LUTON!! are, quite frankly, going to get spanked!

I thought the good news was that you'd spread some rumours about the bloke getting married, split them up and the wedding was now called off so you can go to the match!

Back