• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good News From The Training Ground.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
Just got back from the training ground. Started off badly with hearing about basic things the club could not afford and that they have to pay up front in cash if they really need something as no credit is given to them now, and everyone is chasing them for money.

But I ended up coming away much happier than when I arrived.
Tommy Widdrington took the training whilst Paul Sturrock looked on. The players mainly did gentle fitness work. T.W. seemed to have the respect needed from the players.

The first bit of good news is that Paul Sturrock kept getting phone calls all the time and was constantly moving over to a quiet spot to speak. When he went past me and two other fans at the end, he said ''I'm getting some players in guys''.

Also spoke and grilled somebody from the club and he painted a very good picture (Yes I know, we've herd it all before). He said that the time for the press conference was changed so that Paul could get hold of a certain player before he went and signed for another club, as he was on his way there.
This person said that even he was worried for his future as he has to support his family, but now he is not as there is a lot of money coming in and a lot of things will be sorted out by the club. I gave my opinion of the way Ron Martin has handled things and he defended him. He also said that some of the critisism of Geoff King is unfair as he has done so many good things for the club that is unmentioned or not seen by the fans.
I then said, O.K. why won't Ron Martin talk to the Shrimpers Trust about the £60,000 loan. He gave a lame excuse that Ron has just had 4 operations and not had the time yet. A fan with me then said does the operations mean he can't pick up his phone?
He said that a top man from Sainsbury's had been involved with many projects but none more complicated than the Southend one.

Yes, there was a lot of fobbing off, but I could see he was being genuine about things are going to get a lot better for our club.

I also met a very nice chap who turned out to be Onion_Bag_Dave's dad, and had a nice chat about Southend and of course, the good old days in the North Bank when we drew 2-2 with Q.P.R. in the cup, who were then a top side.

Im getting cramp with all this finger crossing that i am doing to try and keep these tiny drips of optimism coming back into OUR club real. I honestly believe that Sainsbury's and SUFC have come to an agreement for a sustained investment from Sainsburys to keep us more than going and still able to pay of the creditors....Dont ask for evidence it is just a gut feeling.

Any new faces there? e.g. Gilbert
0,,10444~6826071,00.jpg

were Mildy, Francis and Moussa there?

Thanks for posting that. Things look slightly brighter now, long way to go.

Just got back from the training ground. Started off badly with hearing about basic things the club could not afford and that they have to pay up front in cash if they really need something as no credit is given to them now, and everyone is chasing them for money.

But I ended up coming away much happier than when I arrived.
Tommy Widdrington took the training whilst Paul Sturrock looked on. The players mainly did gentle fitness work. T.W. seemed to have the respect needed from the players.

The first bit of good news is that Paul Sturrock kept getting phone calls all the time and was constantly moving over to a quiet spot to speak. When he went past me and two other fans at the end, he said ''I'm getting some players in guys''.

Also spoke and grilled somebody from the club and he painted a very good picture (Yes I know, we've herd it all before). He said that the time for the press conference was changed so that Paul could get hold of a certain player before he went and signed for another club, as he was on his way there.
This person said that even he was worried for his future as he has to support his family, but now he is not as there is a lot of money coming in and a lot of things will be sorted out by the club. I gave my opinion of the way Ron Martin has handled things and he defended him. He also said that some of the critisism of Geoff King is unfair as he has done so many good things for the club that is unmentioned or not seen by the fans.
I then said, O.K. why won't Ron Martin talk to the Shrimpers Trust about the £60,000 loan. He gave a lame excuse that Ron has just had 4 operations and not had the time yet. A fan with me then said does the operations mean he can't pick up his phone?
He said that a top man from Sainsbury's had been involved with many projects but none more complicated than the Southend one.

Yes, there was a lot of fobbing off, but I could see he was being genuine about things are going to get a lot better for our club.

I also met a very nice chap who turned out to be Onion_Bag_Dave's dad, and had a nice chat about Southend and of course, the good old days in the North Bank when we drew 2-2 with Q.P.R. in the cup, who were then a top side.

Over 18,000 crowd at Roots Hall that day by the way.

Well, it looks like we are starting to turn a corner.
I am still quite reluctant to fully trust it all though, many will not believe it.
But I have to say I am about 110% happier than I was on sunday.

Here's Hoping.

Thanks for the update, lots of exciting and encouraging news!

Cannot wait for all the "X Player has signed!" threads in the coming days...

QPR had a seriously good side then with Francis, Bowles, Givens, Thomas etc. 2-0 down and we came back to draw 2-2. And lost the replay there 2-0 on the following Tuesday night.

Yes, great comeback against a great side. Guthrie and Brace scored. Onion_Bag_Dave's dad mentioned the roar when we scored the equaliser, he said he has still never herd anything like it.

I went to the replay with hundreds of other Southend fans on the tube, some of them caused complete havoc, as they did in those days. No C.C.T.V. camera's in those days, they sprayed Southend and S.U.F.C. and The Pak everywhere. It was my first ever trip on the tube, as I was just a young lad.

Just a thought, but as everybody is wanting to back the manager, which ofcourse is a no brainer, will they train on Saturday? Wouldn't it be really great to get hundreds of us down to boots and laces to hand a bit of encouragement ?

Just an idea!

Just a thought, but as everybody is wanting to back the manager, which ofcourse is a no brainer, will they train on Saturday? Wouldn't it be really great to get hundreds of us down to boots and laces to hand a bit of encouragement ?

Just an idea!

Thats a great idea - will be a nice day too.

Thats a great idea - will be a nice day too.

I take it they will be training on Saturday, what time will it be?
I personally think that would be brilliant. If a few people start to show a bit of interest and comment on it. I'll make a new thread, but it's just another event that might make everyones mind blow up!

I'm not sure they normally train at the weekend.

But if they do, it would be a good idea.

Maybe someone could drop an email to the club asking what the training schedule is for the next few weeks?...

Back