• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
So, Essex FM has almost disappeared from the airwaves. The name won't have been mentioned on the air at all for the last two weeks, the only remnant will be on radios with RDS, where the name Essex FM will still be displayed. But that all changes from 6am tomorrow, when the rebrand to Heart is complete, as it will be for radio stations across the South and South East. In all, 33 local radio stations will have lost their local identity completely to become Heart stations.

Now I know many people on here have a very low opinion of Essex FM, I have read as much on these pages many times, but for those of us who can remember the early days, when Essex Radio started up in 1981 and throughout the eighties and maybe into the early nineties, it really was a great station, with presenters such as Jon Scragg, Dave Gregory, Terry Davis, Jon Leech and of course Timbo. Timbo actually was on BBC Essex this morning, having a dig at the death of the old station.

I felt I couldn't let this moment pass, so, for those of you who can remember the good old days when Essex Radio really was Somewhere Special, have a listen to these:

Start of Essex Radio 12 September 1981

Essex Radio theme

Somewhere Special

The Timbo Show

And as a final farewell:

Goodbye Essex

Goodbye Essex FM/Essex Radio, thanks for the memories... :'(

Well said Ian, used to get up in the morning with Timbo, then Holmes and McCoy and now Martin and Su. Think it's a real shame, but when they moved from Southend to Chelmsford it was the beginning of the end really.

Well said Ian, used to get up in the morning with Timbo, then Holmes and McCoy and now Martin and Su. Think it's a real shame, but when they moved from Southend to Chelmsford it was the beginning of the end really.

I always remember Timbo doing the late show, always very entertaining.

To be fair, although it was known as Essex FM, the last year or 2 has been pretty boring as it has been owned by another group anyway along with all these other local stations. In the old days, if you didn't like the song on Essex FM you could switch to Invicta FM for another tune, but since they have been part of the same group, apart from keeping their own presenters, they got no say on the music played, it was all the same...like automated music piped to each station. Switch to Invicta and the same song was playing.

At least we get to keep Martin and Su.

I'm with its a crap station camp. I used to listen to Timbo of an evening, but find it bland & predictable. Its basically a womens station like Heart, so its quite appropriate to be swallowed up by Feart, I mean Heart!

Its basically a womens station like Heart, so its quite appropriate to be swallowed up by Feart, I mean Heart!

But that was the deliberate ploy - turn the playlist into the Heart format early on, so when the name change comes along it's only the name that changes and not the music, and then it's not so noticeable!

I like Martin & Su. Their show really can be quite funny and entertaining sometimes but other than that I think it's cack. The same old tunes get played over and over again, hour after hour, no matter which presenter is on air.

I'll give it a try tomorrow morning but I swear if I hear Take That more than once in the first hour (which is highly likely) there's going to be human blood spilled.

I like Martin & Su. Their show really can be quite funny and entertaining sometimes but other than that I think it's cack. The same old tunes get played over and over again, hour after hour, no matter which presenter is on air.

I'll give it a try tomorrow morning but I swear if I hear Take That more than once in the first hour (which is highly likely) there's going to be human blood spilled.

Sadly After that big hoax with Martin n Sue day show being suspended few mouths back I was hoping Heart FM would of know better

If they do the time tunnel and play nothing but 80's soul weekender vols. 1 thru 10 then I'll be back on the case, but Essex FM is ****, Martin Day is a complete ****.

BBC Essex all the way, Ray Clark rocks my world.

Timbo was a plonker and the Martin and Sue show is complete crap!
Also, Roger Buxton was an imbecile that laughed at everything despite it not being funny. Below is his profile picture at BBC Essex!
roger_buxton_203_203x152.jpg

Essex Radio never was any good and i don't suppose much will change under their new name. BBC Essex is no better except for the odd occasion when they broadcast commentary from Southend matches.

Personally, i prefer Southend Radio or Invicta (from Kent) in my car.

Essex fm will always have a place in my heart seeing as i banged one of the thunder girls or whatever there called . she was half decent but bumped into her a few months back and she's put on a lot of timber, shame.

One of my lecturers now works for Heart FM (I think) after they expanded. Just thought they were buying out Severn Sound but apparently not.

Severn Sound was a very good channel to listen to - Prefered that to Essex FM.

I suppose Wyvern FM is a gonner as well? Also a good station to listen to.

Essex fms playlist

George Michael
Take That
Lionel Richie
Snow Patrol
Beyonce
Girls Aloud

And repeat all day until listener falls asleep or cuts their ears off.

Essex fms playlist

George Michael
Take That
Lionel Richie
Snow Patrol
Beyonce
Girls Aloud

And repeat all day until listener falls asleep or cuts their ears off.

Plus Robbie Williams if they are feeling saucy and want to push the boundries with a 'safe' bad boy.
Have this **** on at work all day long and one day it could drive me to murder!

Only really listened to it in the morning and liked Martin and Su's show. This morning on Heart, it may only have been 1 show but out of the 5 ish songs I listened to while it was on 3 of them were Take That. All the jingles are extremely annoying too. Okay you are Heart not Essex FM, you told us for weeks before the changeover and now you are telling us again. I GET THE MESSAGE. There was about 5 different jingles about how they are Heart. Started to wind me up!

Back