• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gove sending a copy of KJ Bible to every school

pickledseal

cowboy
Every school is to be sent a copy of the King James Bible to mark the 400th anniversary of its translation, it was revealed.
The move was condemned by non-religious groups who suggested it was unacceptable and a waste of public money.
It is understood that every school in England will receive a copy of the Bible, which will include a foreword by Education Secretary Michael Gove.
Ministers are said to believe that the text is a historically and culturally important document.
But the National Secular Society (NSS) suggested that the Department for Education (DfE) could put a message on its website and save "tens of thousands of pounds".
NSS president Terry Sanderson told the Times Educational Supplement (TES): "It's not as if Bibles are in short supply in schools. But if Mr Gove intends to go ahead with this, will he also please ensure that a copy of On The Origin Of Species is sent out on Darwin Day?
"This book is much harder to find in schools and would be in line with his policy of promoting science and evidence-based education. I'm sure that he could write an excellent foreword to this too."
Richy Thompson, campaigns officer at the British Humanist Association, told the TES: "Either the Government is funding this initiative itself at a time when it is making severe cuts elsewhere, or the Church is finding it but using the Government as a vehicle through which to promote Christianity - both are unacceptable."
Mr Gove said he believes that the translation of the Bible "is a critical moment in the life of the nation".
A DfE spokeswoman said: "We want all pupils to be able to access and understand the great literary and historical heritage of our nation. As many people have noted - from former Poet Laureate Andrew Motion to the director of the British Museum Neil MacGregor - the King James Bible continues to shape our culture."

https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net...=AFAKxlQAAAAATtEkliqGVWH9M1EkHN83-zWf3Vqrfqn9

Seriously?! I think this is a massive waste of funds from the DoE. Also who the **** does Gove think he is? Writing a foreword to the Bible?! I hope my Head sends it back. Obviously it is not a version often used by Catholics anyway...

We're a Christian country, what's the problem? I'm not religious, but our heritage is part of what makes britain Great. :flamer:

We're a Christian country, what's the problem? I'm not religious, but our heritage is part of what makes britain Great. :flamer:

I have a great problem with anyone trying to fill a childs head with the poison that is religion.

As his government are trying to make savings I'd suggest he ask which of the school libraries don't already stock a copy then it could become a very cheap transaction. One of my biggest criticisms of Blair was his promoting of church schools, I would much rather as a tax payer cover the full cost of all schools rather than having any religious input. We end up with thousands attending church purely to secure school places and governments on one hand preaching assimilation and on the other allowing any religion to set up schools and keep their children apart from the rest of us. School is just school, go to your local one and build communities.

https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net...=AFAKxlQAAAAATtEkliqGVWH9M1EkHN83-zWf3Vqrfqn9

Seriously?! I think this is a massive waste of funds from the DoE. Also who the **** does Gove think he is? Writing a foreword to the Bible?! I hope my Head sends it back. Obviously it is not a version often used by Catholics anyway...

Do you think the fairytale that you espouse daily to young minds is in some way better than that particular fairytale? Or do you think that in the 21st century it might be time to pack away all of this puerile rubbish altogether and teach the kids something more useful. Just saying...

Strangely we are only a christian country because people came over with ideas which started in the middle east.

If Christianity is so good, perhaps we ought see what other religious ideas that area may have, they seem to know their stuff out there .:winking:

Really? I don't know much about it, but I struggle to see a bad side of Buddhism?

They have had their own internal sectarian and even fights between different sects ;-)

Also Siddarthar expressly asked that no one followed him or created anything after his death ... nice to see they listened :D

I'm with pickled , its a totally waste of money . Nothing wrong with school libraries having copies (might want to included the Bhagvadha Gita , Tao Te Ching) .

Also Firestorms correct in Roman times we were a Mithraic country (which was the largest religion in the empire of the time ) , then the Norse which added to the already exciting British gods (from Wales and Tir nan og) .

Very true Osy,but references from SF can not be taken seriously when the man is a tanner short of a pound himself,

Lol i know sadly . A friend of mine who is a COE vicar (in Lakeside of all places now ) also a MA in theology , can quite easier tell the differnence between Harry Potter and say the Necronomican (though both are works works of fiction ;-)).

The irony of course is Yoga means union and is the method where by you can obtain oneness with the Bhramic force (Hinduism actually has one deity just with many faces)

They have had their own internal sectarian and even fights between different sects ;-)

Also Siddarthar expressly asked that no one followed him or created anything after his death ... nice to see they listened :D

I'm with pickled , its a totally waste of money . Nothing wrong with school libraries having copies (might want to included the Bhagvadha Gita , Tao Te Ching) .

Also Firestorms correct in Roman times we were a Mithraic country (which was the largest religion in the empire of the time ) , then the Norse which added to the already exciting British gods (from Wales and Tir nan og) .
trying to work out if these are osy typos or correct usage

Back