• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
From the official site, reproduced with their kind permission:

Gower Pleased To Sign Extension

0,,10444~366710,00.jpg

Southend United winger Mark Gower today spoke of his delight at agreeing to a one-year extension on his current Blues contract.

The 24-year-old joined Southend from Barnet last season in a five figure deal. With a year left to go on his current deal the Club were keen to secure the services of him for a longer period. <span style='color:blue'>&quot;It&#39;s all done and dusted and everything has been sorted out now,&quot;</span> Gower told Chris Phillips of the Evening Echo.

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;All that is left now is for me to actually sign it but I haven&#39;t been able to do that yet as I have been away on holiday. I&#39;ll definitely be signing though and I&#39;m really pleased.&quot;</span>

Gower, who performed consistently well last season, added that he was looking forward to the coming season. <span style='color:blue'>&quot;There was a clause in my contract which said the length of my deal would be reviewed this summer if I played well last year,&quot;</span> said the 24-year-old. <span style='color:blue'>&quot;Thankfully it went well for me - but I&#39;m glad it&#39;s all been sorted and I&#39;m staying at Blues for longer as I like it at Southend.&quot;

&quot;There were a lot of reasons why I wanted to sign for another year. I like the manager Steve Tilson, the lads, the club as a whole and of course the fans who voted me player of the season last year which was a real honour for me.&quot;</span>

The former Spurs youngster also revealed that he had been working hard to regain fitness following a planned operation on his knee at the end of the last campaign.

<span style='color:blue'>&quot;I&#39;ve been doing some work on my knee and it&#39;s been going OK,&quot;</span> he said. <span style='color:blue'>&quot;I&#39;m going away again soon but when I get back I&#39;ll be working hard on strengthening that area and I will be reporting back for pre season training a week earlier than the rest of the lads to give myself a head-start.&quot;</span>

Two holidays and a new contract.

His got it made.

Im delighted his signed, he seems committed so keeping with the commited side of 2004/2005. And his a great winger. Alot of fans have said he is a player who looked dangerous.

Top news - top player and Gower will again be the key to many of our attacking moves this coming season.
This contract extension represents the type of loyalty that Tilson is trying to build in this squad - good luck to them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ June 16 2004,16:27)]Does he not know that we are the Shrimpers not Blues?&#33;
mad.gif
Well, What is the official nickname of the club ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ June 16 2004,16:27)]Does he not know that we are the Shrimpers not Blues?&#33;
mad.gif
Get a life&#33;

This is supposed to be a positive post or is your response some kind of foolish attempt at humour?

If so....B.O.L.A.C.S&#33;
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 16 2004,16:22)]&quot;There were a lot of reasons why I wanted to sign for another year. I like...of course the fans who voted me player of the season last year which was a real honour for me.&quot;[/color][/i]
well, SZ posters voted for him, to be honest. SZ strikes again...

biggrin.gif
smile.gif

One of these days we&#39;ll have the photos up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom&#33; @ June 16 2004,16:34)]
[b said:
mad.gif
Get a life&#33;

This is supposed to be a positive post or is your response some kind of foolish attempt at humour?

If so....B.O.L.A.C.S&#33;
biggrin.gif
Sorry forgot about the rules from B.O.L.A.C.S on the use of sarcasm.

The club really has let its self down, offering Gower a contract extention, this will make others at the club who have only got a one year deal jealous and could cause unrest, SUFC shouldnt give any players special treatment, which in the case it looks like Gower has

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ June 17 2004,10:57)]The club really has let its self down, offering Gower a contract extention, this will make others at the club who have only got a one year deal jealous and could cause unrest, SUFC shouldnt give any players special treatment, which in the case it looks like Gower has
I disagree. The club have only invoked a clause in his contract. Anyway, he walked off with most of the player of the year awards etc, and other players have been offered 2 year deals, so IMO, it will be seen as a good thing by the players as well as the fans.

I feel this is a great move by the club, and i also feel that gower won&#39;t leave after that , cos he will be playing second division football, in a SOUTHEND shirt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ June 17 2004,10:57)]The club really has let its self down, offering Gower a contract extention, this will make others at the club who have only got a one year deal jealous and could cause unrest, SUFC shouldnt give any players special treatment, which in the case it looks like Gower has
Have you seen Mark Gower play ever?

The reason they have given him an extra year is because the club have actually seen how influential he is and how important he is&#33; Plus I think you will find that at the moment most players have time on their contracts so it isn&#39;t an issue with them:

Edwards 2 Years
Barret 2 Years
Jupp Signed an exstension already I believe?
Nicolau 1 Year and relatively unprooven but I suspect has option for second year if he prooves himself all season.
Bentley Stil has a year and a half remaining
Smith 1 Year but if stays fit another year available
Pettifer 2 Years
Gower 2 Years now due to extension
Dudfield 1 year remaining but I suspect there will be an option to extend
Gray 2 Years

As for the others Maher has been offered 2 years and I suspect Lewis Hunt will have a similar offer as will Daryl&#33;

Some people are never satisfied&#33; I bet you would be the first to criticise if he left on a free at the end of his contract for no money, saying that the club don&#39;t do enough to hold on to their best players&#33;&#33;

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dreams @ June 17 2004,11:12)]
[b said:
Have you seen Mark Gower play ever?

The reason they have given him an extra year is because the club have actually seen how influential he is and how important he is! Plus I think you will find that at the moment most players have time on their contracts so it isn't an issue with them:

Edwards   2 Years
Barret      2 Years
Jupp        Signed an exstension already I believe?
Nicolau     1 Year and relatively unprooven but I suspect has  option for second year if he prooves himself all season.
Bentley     Stil has a year and a half remaining
Smith       1 Year but if stays fit another year available
Pettifer     2 Years
Gower      2 Years now due to extension
Dudfield    1 year remaining but I suspect there will be an option to extend
Gray         2 Years

As for the others Maher has been offered 2 years and I suspect Lewis Hunt will have a similar offer as will Daryl!

Some people are never satisfied! I bet you would be the first to criticise if he left on a free at the end of his contract for no money, saying that the club don't do enough to hold on to their best players!!
Agree
blues.gif

Too much negativity on here
ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ June 17 2004,11:57)]The club really has let its self down, offering Gower a contract extention, this will make others at the club who have only got a one year deal jealous and could cause unrest, SUFC shouldnt give any players special treatment, which in the case it looks like Gower has
I don&#39;t know... the club don&#39;t offer extensions (to contracts
wink.gif
) and they&#39;re wrong.

The club do offer extensions to contracts... and guess what&#33;

Gower deserves what he&#39;s got... and as already mentioned... this was a clause in his original contract.

We&#39;re dealing with grown ups here (albeit footballers), so the other players have to see this for what it is.

It also sends out a message. Play well, you&#39;ll get rewarded.

Maybe this is the carrot they need to have dangled in front of them.

Its Brilliant news that Gower is signing, now we won&#39;t have to worry about losing him next summer on a free&#33;

Also overall next season , we wont have to worry about many other players leaving on free&#39;s as most will be signed up for the follwing season ba the likes Tes,Lawrie,Corbett and jupp

Tilly is sending out the right message, play well and get offered a extension, play bad and your not ... couldn&#39;t be any simpler. .

Back