• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Grand National 2019

amsemp

Director⭐
Whose everyone gone for?

I’ve gone for Joe Farrell as my only bet, but got Rathvinden in the work sweepstake so fairly happy!

Dounikos has some poor form being pulled up 3 times last season and fell first time out this season but then ran at Punchestown in a 3m 5f race and romped home,has a good trainer and stays all day when he jumps,well worth an E/W at 33/1.

Good morning to you too,boxing fan ain't you?

Yep, I was waiting for someone to throw that argument at me. Both consenting individuals who choose to get in the ring with each other. These horses do not get or have a choice!

Yep, I was waiting for someone to throw that argument at me. Both consenting individuals who choose to get in the ring with each other. These horses do not get or have a choice!
Yep I bet you was,quite often these young lads have two choices,a chance to earn real money or nothing with their backgrounds unfortunately. some choice, many boxers go on to have brain damage,disfigurement,mental issues and even death perish the thought,glasshouses mate glasshouses.

Good morning to you too,boxing fan ain't you?
The lazy old parallel with boxing.
I'm also a boxing fan but detest horse racing. The key difference is the boxer makes a choice to subject themselves to being battered for a living - the horse has no choice in the matter.
Horse racing is a sport which is a play thing of the ultra rich, which attracts massive crowds of chavs to major races like the Grand National who behave like ****ed up idiots at an away day and **** all their money up the wall betting on which short arse can whip an animal hard enough to make them win a race.

When will people get this - animals don't want to be groomed or ridden or whipped or anything. Just leave them the **** alone.
The massive issue we have on this planet is this increasing human superiority complex, whereby we feel we need to extract some 'use' from everything that moves. Just leave them alone.

Yep I bet you was,quite often these young lads have two choices,a chance to earn real money or nothing with their backgrounds unfortunately. some choice, many boxers go on to have brain damage,disfigurement,mental issues and even death perish the thought,glasshouses mate glasshouses.

Glasshouses? There is no comparison what so ever! The horse has no choice. Whether the young ‘lads’ women box too you know have two choices is irrelevant. They have a choice, and the same could be said for a lot of areas. People who grow up in a rough area may have to resort to a life of crime or choose another path. The fact of the matter is they have the option! The horse has no option, be a race horse, get injured you’re dead!

Glasshouses? There is no comparison what so ever! The horse has no choice. Whether the young ‘lads’ women box too you know have two choices is irrelevant. They have a choice, and the same could be said for a lot of areas. People who grow up in a rough area may have to resort to a life of crime or choose another path. The fact of the matter is they have the option! The horse has no option, be a race horse, get injured you’re dead!

Best you stick to the barbaric sport of boxing or dog training,you know jack **** about the sport of kings
oh by the way can you ask your fellow mods if we can have the politics thread back,nice and peaceful banter there.

Whose everyone gone for?

I’ve gone for Joe Farrell as my only bet, but got Rathvinden in the work sweepstake so fairly happy!
That’s is so bizarre I have the same !!!

I have also put Southend as a single win today fingers crossed on both lol

If a horse doesn’t want to run, it will not run
You obviously have not been to racing where a horse plants his feet and no matter how many pushing , cajoling it will not move
Horses get whipped look at the rules on whipping it’s limited, where boxing seems to be hurt your opponent until a ref decides enough is enough which can go too long
You have limited knowledge of one of the great sports so I will not reply further but as an owner of both flat and jumps the horse is the no 1 concern of the yard
Yes if a horse breaks a leg it’s put down because it’s frame cannot support on three legs, similar if it’s galloping in a field on its own
Is it cruel no otherwise I would never own one

Are there odds available for how many horses will fall, break a leg and be taken behind a curtain to be shot dead?
You are all so keen on betting on the horses that this bet should surely be considered?

Only animals at the end of the day aren't they....

If a horse doesn’t want to run, it will not run
You obviously have not been to racing where a horse plants his feet and no matter how many pushing , cajoling it will not move
Horses get whipped look at the rules on whipping it’s limited, where boxing seems to be hurt your opponent until a ref decides enough is enough which can go too long
You have limited knowledge of one of the great sports so I will not reply further but as an owner of both flat and jumps the horse is the no 1 concern of the yard
Yes if a horse breaks a leg it’s put down because it’s frame cannot support on three legs, similar if it’s galloping in a field on its own
Is it cruel no otherwise I would never own one

Killing millions of animals a day to provide burgers and bacon sandwiches for fat ****ers is cruel but that doesn't stop humans from doing it. Funnily enough, humans do a lot of cruel **** which they dress up as necessity.
Your final point is absolute nonsense. The horse wouldn't have to be shot dead with a broken leg if it wasn't racing in the first place.

What I do not understand is why if a prised racehorse does unfortunately break it's leg, ankle, etc, why it is put down?

If it was a cat or dog you would take it to the vets and they would pin it, screw plates in, or put it in a cast.

I also think is debatable as bones tend to be stronger after a break, look at sportsman that have come back stronger and fitter?

Surely a horse still has a value to the owner for breeding even if it can not race again,?

What I do not understand is why if a prised racehorse does unfortunately break it's leg, ankle, etc, why it is put down?

If it was a cat or dog you would take it to the vets and they would pin it, screw plates in, or put it in a cast.

I also think is debatable as bones tend to be stronger after a break, look at sportsman that have come back stronger and fitter?

Surely a horse still has a value to the owner for breeding even if it can not race again,?
That rather depends on whether a male horse has been castrated!

Also depends on individual owners and the severity of the break. A lot of horse racing owners are business men and therefore a horse with a broken leg is an unnecessary expense. Did think it was lovely to see the emotion on the faces of those involved with Tiger Roll yesterday though as he was brought back for the presentation - he's clearly an adored horse.

The horses frame cannot support standing on three legs mate, otherwise the owners would do this
Similar the horse cannot have a prosthetic leg due to the way the horse moves/runs
I am sure someone somewhere have had this operation and lived but I think very few and it’s a shame for all concerned

Back