• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Exiled Shrimper

Manager
During today's match between the Fleet and the Minstermen no fewer than four ex-Shrimpers were involved in the matchday squads:

Ben Surey - the most recent having been on trial in pre-season had a comfortable game in the centre of the park for the hosts

Darren Dunning - a non-playing pre-season trialist in Steve Wignall's days turned to flinging his elbow in frustration, escaping punishment, as his York side were decidedly poor

Lee Nogan - five-game loanee from Leeds United in the early 90s is now City's assistant player-manager, and in desperation brought himself on with twenty minutes to go, but to no avail as he was barely allowed a kick

Chris Porter - ex-youth team goalkeeper and one-time scorer in the Essex Senior Cup at Harwich & Parkeston deputises for Paul Crichton, who let in four. How bad does that make him these days?...

Not forgetting Andy Ford Fleet's manager a very able defender for Southend in the 70's, whose worked miracles at Fleet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ Aug. 28 2004,22:31)]Darren Dunning - a non-playing pre-season trialist in Steve Wignall's days turned to flinging his elbow in frustration, escaping punishment, as his York side were decidedly poor
No playing because he never turned up! Shame as well because he's a good player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ Aug. 28 2004,22:31)]Lee Nogan - five-game loanee from Leeds United in the early 90s is now City's assistant player-manager, and in desperation brought himself on with twenty minutes to go, but to no avail as he was barely allowed a kick
Eh?

The Lee Nogan I'm thinking of was a twice Southend loanee, would have played more than 5 games for us and I'm pretty certain he never played for Leeds.

IIRC he was first signed around 1987 or 1988 as he played in the team that beat the Derby team of Shilton, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders etc in the League Cup.

He was then later signed on loan, circa 1995, by Spud(?) from Watford.

I think he probably managed only a single goal in a dozen appearances for us, but scored in every game against us. His 97th (and a half) minute winner at Vicarage Road was one of the most gutting moments I've experienced in football.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 01 2004,05:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ Aug. 28 2004,22:31)]Lee Nogan - five-game loanee from Leeds United in the early 90s is now City's assistant player-manager, and in desperation brought himself on with twenty minutes to go, but to no avail as he was barely allowed a kick
Eh?

The Lee Nogan I'm thinking of was a twice Southend loanee, would have played more than 5 games for us and I'm pretty certain he never played for Leeds.

IIRC he was first signed around 1987 or 1988 as he played in the team that beat the Derby team of Shilton, Mark Wright, Dean Saunders etc in the League Cup.

He was then later signed on loan, circa 1995, by Spud(?) from Watford.

I think he probably managed only a single goal in a dozen appearances for us, but scored in every game against us. His 97th (and a half) minute winner at Vicarage Road was one of the most gutting moments I've experienced in football.
Yes, you're quite right - for some unknown reason I believe I was reading about Jamie Forrester just prior to writing it - Forrester of course played five games as a loanee from Leeds. Nogan did have two spells with us, neither of which was glorious, and thankfully now he's in the Conference he can;t score any more against us!

Back