• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Great British Anthems

MK Shrimper

Striker
No not that god-awful dirge that Queen Liz uses as her ring tone.....Abbey Road are launching the search for "Anthems of our Time" so I thought this'll be a nice little thread for the web's favourite site.

So shall we say from 1900-2011, anthemic choons, be it rock, pop, classical, jazz etc. One rule, has to be by a British artiste.

So I shall start with a fave: Hey Jude - The Beatles.

Oasis - Live Forever
Blur - The Universal
Manic Street Prechers - Motorcycle Emptiness

Spot the bloke who was a teenager in the mid-90s!

Not necessarily my three favourite British tracks of all time (well up there though) but all very much anthemic.

I'd like to see the songs be about Great Britain too.

Some suggestions...most songs by The Clash, The Jam, The Smiths, The Kinks. And I'm shocked you've not mentioned New England by Billy Bragg MK!

Blur have done a fair few too....London loves, Sunday Sunday, Bank Holiday, Parklife

Some suggestions...most songs by The Clash, The Jam, The Smiths, The Kinks. And I'm shocked you've not mentioned New England by Billy Bragg MK!

Blur have done a fair few too....London loves, Sunday Sunday, Bank Holiday, Parklife

Was about to add Waterloo Sunset - Kinks , London Calling - Clash etc

Shy FX and UK Apache - original nuttah. Even has UK in the artists name.

The clock was counting down to home time! Ok, songs that mention a part of Britain in the title or in the song. If anyone says Mull of Kintyre then I'll neg rep them until I break the internet.

Last edited:
Everybody Wants To Rule/Run The World - Tears for Fears
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Angels - Robbie Williams

Everybody Wants To Rule/Run The World - Tears for Fears
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Angels - Robbie Williams

I did that .. 1985 six miles around Victoria Park in East London .. you had to run or some bugger would nick ya trainers if you dared stand still for ten seconds

Cigarettes and Alcohol
Common People
Creep
I am the Resurrection
This Charming Man
True Faith
Born Slippy
Bittersweet Symphony
Firestarter
Stairway to Heaven
My Generation
Rocket Man