• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am raising money for Great Ormand Street Childrens Hospital (GOSH) by taking part in the Great North Run, which is the worlds largest half-marathon with 52,000 runners and takes place on Sunday 20 September between Newcastle and South Shields.

If anyone has ever done this run, feel free to leave me some tips etc... on this thread. I need all the help I can get!!!

Some of you will remember the SZFC "Sunrise to Sunset" Charity Football Match I helped to organise earlier this year, and which raised an astonishing £9k for The Angelina Our Star Appeal. The appeal are ultimately raising money for GOSH, and it was when organising this event that I found out how much support GOSH requires each year. You can find out more by visiting this website: http://www.gosh.org/why-we-need-your-help/

The Great North Run is one of the Challenge Events that GOSH participate in, and which helps GOSH raise the £50m it requires annually to replace cramped, outdated wards with new modern facilities, provide essential equipment and fund essential research to find treatments and cures for complex and difficult illnesses.

All money raised from the Great North Run goes to the Heart & Lung Unit.

As all who have met me can imagine, The Great North Run is a huge challenge, almost as huge as my waistline. My previous longest run was a 5k event some time ago, and even that I found a struggle!! Training has gone well and my first training run of a stop-start 20 minutes seems a long time ago, however there are a lot more miles to get under my belt yet and the run is fast approaching!

I know times are hard but every little helps, and I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can donate a few quid to the cause. If you wish to sponsor me you can do so at:

http://www.justgiving.com/davidgracie/

Cheers all!

Dave

Thanks Shags - good luck to you too! I got knocked off my bike last week, which has rather hampered the training, albeit that I only took the skin off my arm. It's been a bit sore, hence the non-running... but no excuses for not doing some training this weekend!

:thump:

Best of luck with your training for what is a serious distance!

Matt

I am raising money for Great Ormand Street Childrens Hospital (GOSH) by taking part in the Great North Run, which is the worlds largest half-marathon with 52,000 runners and takes place on Sunday 20 September between Newcastle and South Shields.

If anyone has ever done this run, feel free to leave me some tips etc... on this thread. I need all the help I can get!!!

Some of you will remember the SZFC "Sunrise to Sunset" Charity Football Match I helped to organise earlier this year, and which raised an astonishing £9k for The Angelina Our Star Appeal. The appeal are ultimately raising money for GOSH, and it was when organising this event that I found out how much support GOSH requires each year. You can find out more by visiting this website: http://www.gosh.org/why-we-need-your-help/

The Great North Run is one of the Challenge Events that GOSH participate in, and which helps GOSH raise the £50m it requires annually to replace cramped, outdated wards with new modern facilities, provide essential equipment and fund essential research to find treatments and cures for complex and difficult illnesses.

All money raised from the Great North Run goes to the Heart & Lung Unit.

As all who have met me can imagine, The Great North Run is a huge challenge, almost as huge as my waistline. My previous longest run was a 5k event some time ago, and even that I found a struggle!! Training has gone well and my first training run of a stop-start 20 minutes seems a long time ago, however there are a lot more miles to get under my belt yet and the run is fast approaching!

I know times are hard but every little helps, and I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can donate a few quid to the cause. If you wish to sponsor me you can do so at:

http://www.justgiving.com/davidgracie/

Cheers all!

Dave

Might see you there Dave. I'm running (puffing) for Leukaemia Research (Banana Army).

I will double my donation if you run it in a Celtic shirt.....

I think if you were to run in say a Leopard skin thong.....there would be plenty of people willing to double their money!!

*BUMP*

Hope Matt is now "tapering" for his run!

And if anyone fancing sparing a few pennies for my GNR effort for GOSH, then it would be much appreciated.

Best of luck on this. Hope you shake the cold off. Knowing the effort Shags has put in on this I would urge you all to spare a little to raise money for this worthwhile cause.

Congratulations on completing the run yesterday. From the text you sent, it was very hot but luckily all your hard training has paid off. Now surely its time to get back on the beers Dave?????

Well I managed to complete the Great North Run on Sunday and as a result of the generous support I received including several members of SZ, I raised just over £700 for Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital.

It was a fantastic day with 54,000 runners taking part, and I was able to complete the course in 2h 30m 19s (placing me 27,821st) which I was pleased with given the surprisingly hot weather in the north east. Thankfully there were a fair number of crazy geordies trying to cool us down with water pistols etc... and the man standing on top of the bus stop with a garden hose was a welcome relief. Also amusing was the number of sweets, ice poles, wet wipes, oranges that were being handed out by the public.

Whilst I still feel a little tired from the weekend, I’m looking forward to getting my running shoes on again in the near future and hopefully taking part in the London Marathon next year (although will need to do some serious training for that!!). Will post up some pictures later on when my missus gets round to putting them on, but all in all a cracking day.

Back