• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great North Run

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
As some of you know, the past year i have been steadily losing weight (4.5 stone in total), the main aim of this was to be able to run in the Great North Run. This a run that I have always wanted to do due to it taking place in the homeland of my mother as well as being an area of Britain that i spent many happy hours during school holidays.

Luckily for me I was given a ballot place and decided to try to raise money for two charities that are close to my heart.

Diabetes UK who have been very helpful to my mum who is a Type 1 suffer for 35 years as well was the Angelina Our Star appeal, an appeal that provides money for Great Ormond Street to investigate the terrible childhood cancer Wilm's Tumor which took the life of my daughter's friend when they were 5.

With the run taking place on Sunday and that i have not really pushed my charity fund raising thing, but feel i should really start. If you are able to spare just a pound then please visit one of the donation sites

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/andee - Diabetes UK
http://www.justgiving.com/angelinaourstar - Great Ormond Street (on this site please specify it is for my Great North Run.)

Of course donations can be made any time even after the event. I have left the page to be open for 3 months to ensure i give everyone a chance to donate. ;)

Just thought I would update this thread, with how i did.

I managed to finish the race alongside the infamous Barry Harris, who no joke I heard with 1 km to go. First I heard the crowd call out 'Go on Barry' and then i hear his dulcet tones, to which i looked over in the direction they came to see Barry just on the over side of the road. I headed over to say Hi and we agreed to cross the line together.

This was the first time I had ever completed a half marathon so to finish it with a mate was great.

My time was 2:00:54 and i finished in the top 23% which is something I am really pleased with.

I would like to thank all the people who have kindly sponsored me and to those who have yet to do so, please remember even a £1 can make a difference to both of the charities i ran for, so which ever one you chose, it is really appreciated by me and the charities themselves.

Thanks.

Back