• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great Sci-Fi films for Barna

We seem to have missed one of the greatest films of all time.

Back to the future.

"Oh no! It's the Libyans"

On a more serious note, Gattaca was excellent, Cold Souls with paul Giamatti is superb. Does Lars von Triers' recent Melancholia count as Sci-Fi?

Clockwork Orange
THX 1138
Akira
Bill & Ted...
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

As others have mentioned, Brazil, Twelve Monkeys, A Scanner darkly are all excellent.

Has anyone seen the film version of Slaughterhouse Five? Just curious, haven't seen it myself.

I like the ones I've highlighted and seen (with the exceptions of Alien and Star Wars)..Not tempted by the others(except perhaps Source Code).
ps You missed out Solyent Green and the original Planet of the Apes.They were excellent.

If you liked Soylent green you may Like 'Omega Man' as well as noted by another poster
- same period, charlton Heston . The remake 'I am legend' is not bad either---- but you can't beat an original

No I didn't, much like the remake of Total Recall I didn't bother with. Is the remake/prequal in line with the original
It's not actually a remake but does follow a similar premise, from Wiki:

After creating the Dawn of the Dead remake, producers Marc Abraham and Eric Newman began to look through the Universal Studios library to find new properties to work on.[18] Upon finding John Carpenter's 1982 film The Thing, the two convinced Universal to create a prequel instead of a remake, as they felt that remaking Carpenter's film would be like "paint(ing) a moustache on the Mona Lisa". Eric Newman explained; "I'd be the first to say no one should ever try to do Jaws again and I certainly wouldn't want to see anyone remake The Exorcist... And we really felt the same way about The Thing. It's a great film. But once we realized there was a new story to tell, with the same characters and the same world, but from a very different point of view, we took it as a challenge. It's the story about the guys who are just ghosts in Carpenter's movie - they're already dead. But having Universal give us a chance to tell their story was irresistible."

Drastic™;1478025 said:
*stands up*

Hi, my name is Drastic, and I have never seen Bladerunner....

You're not the only one mate.

Please hand in your ShrimperZone membership cards and leave by the door on the right. :angry:

In all seriousness WHAT are you thinking? Absolute stone cold classic of cinema, not just sci-fi.

Drastic™;1478004 said:
On a more serious note, Gattaca was excellent, Cold Souls with paul Giamatti is superb. Does Lars von Triers' recent Melancholia count as Sci-Fi?

Clockwork Orange
THX 1138
Akira
Bill & Ted...
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

As others have mentioned, Brazil, Twelve Monkeys, A Scanner darkly are all excellent.

Has anyone seen the film version of Slaughterhouse Five? Just curious, haven't seen it myself.

Not allowing Eternal....despite it's loopy science. My thread, my rules!

Not seen the film of Slaughterhouse Five but the book is essential reading.

The film is a dreadful cheap 70's(?) movie with the production values of Crossroads. Crying out for a 21st century remake.

Suprised nobody's mentioned probably the greatest SF film of all time.Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

It's not, and it's been ruined by colourisation and a god awful Queen soundtrack. I think I've seen the un-****ed up version but not 100% sure.

Back