• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

at least I assume it's a typo...

"In a relatively open game, Southend had several guilt-edged chances"

To be fair the first half was very open. It started with Oldham hitting the post right at the start and we had at least 5 very good chances; Barrett & Barnett both headed over from corners, Worrall missed 2 in as many minutes, Barnett had a header cleared off the line.

To be fair the first half was very open. It started with Oldham hitting the post right at the start and we had at least 5 very good chances; Barrett & Barnett both headed over from corners, Worrall missed 2 in as many minutes, Barnett had a header cleared off the line.

Couldn't get to the game as I work as a football trader and it was a very busy night for me with the full English programme but I can tell you that in terms of 1st half in-play stats (shots, corners, attacks etc) our game was the liveliest of ANY in all 3 divisions of the Football League last night.

Couldn't get to the game as I work as a football trader and it was a very busy night for me with the full English programme but I can tell you that in terms of 1st half in-play stats (shots, corners, attacks etc) our game was the liveliest of ANY in all 3 divisions of the Football League last night.

I'm intrigued, what do you actually do?

I'm intrigued, what do you actually do?

No different to stocks and shares but I trade football on Betfair across around 150 different leagues worldwide. I will only ever enter markets at HT so I can guage that a fixture has been lively in the first half, 0-0 draws are no good at all to me as all my strategies rely on goals. I have access to extensive season stats and 10-year stats across all countries and leagues worldwide however you do still need to know that a game also has shots flying in and corners being racked up which is why the likes of Bet365's in-play stats counter is invaluable. Southend-Oldham had far and away the most impressive in-play stats at HT last night of all English league games although the second half goal gave me no pleasure for obvious reasons, even if it was a small consolation. :thumbdown:

Which is why I am surprised at such a big negative reaction to last nights game. We lost so there is always going to be some negativity and the usual Brown bashing.

After Oldham scored we quickly ran out of ideas and it was ultimately a frustrating night. I found the first half though very entertaining, both sides were attacking and there were plenty of chances at both ends. It was amazing that it ended 0-0

Which is why I am surprised at such a big negative reaction to last nights game. We lost so there is always going to be some negativity and the usual Brown bashing.

After Oldham scored we quickly ran out of ideas and it was ultimately a frustrating night. I found the first half though very entertaining, both sides were attacking and there were plenty of chances at both ends. It was amazing that it ended 0-0

The stats back you up 100% in this instance which is exactly why I got involved in the second half. I am surprised by some of the reactions on here as on stats alone it seemed an extremely open game in the first half.

Some people will forget how entertaining a game was in favour of just slagging off Brown for being "negative."

Two-thirds of the people judge a performance almost entirely by the result - that's win or lose - so that's nothing new.

Both. Much of my income is from my own trading account however I do also run a sub-service on a football website.

Can you say more about how it works, what the principles are behind your strategies? I find this type of thing fascinating.

Can you say more about how it works, what the principles are behind your strategies? I find this type of thing fascinating.

I use 3 main strategies, 2 of which involve trading (getting into the market and then getting out when a trade starts to go your way) but the main strategy I use revolves around getting a second half goal - just one will do. This is more a betting strategy than a trading strategy as it is "set-and-forget." You start with Bet 1 (for £10 say) and back for another goal at HT (so if it's 0-0 you back Over 0.5 Goals, if 0-1 back Over 1.5 Goals etc). I only look at games with a maximum of 1 goal in the 1st half. If that bet wins you move your original stake plus profit on to Bet 2 and so on. It's like football "Deal Or No Deal" - you can cash out and start again at any time. Compounding works better than flat staking though if you have a system that has a high strike rate. My highest run of winners is 23 in a row which I've hit 3 times, if you have the nerve to compound all 23 that £10 would be around £3,200 by the time you cash out after 23. I usually start with £100 and see how far I can go before I (hopefully) bank. Match selection is obviously very important, you need to be as sure as you can of seeing a second half goal.

Apologies but I can't discuss filter criteria, I had a previous strategy that I sold and with so many people using it the market liquidity was destroyed and I can't use it anymore. I'm not going to make that mistake again but others are welcome to investigate their own criteria.

I use 3 main strategies, 2 of which involve trading (getting into the market and then getting out when a trade starts to go your way) but the main strategy I use revolves around getting a second half goal - just one will do. This is more a betting strategy than a trading strategy as it is "set-and-forget." You start with Bet 1 (for £10 say) and back for another goal at HT (so if it's 0-0 you back Over 0.5 Goals, if 0-1 back Over 1.5 Goals etc). I only look at games with a maximum of 1 goal in the 1st half. If that bet wins you move your original stake plus profit on to Bet 2 and so on. It's like football "Deal Or No Deal" - you can cash out and start again at any time. Compounding works better than flat staking though if you have a system that has a high strike rate. My highest run of winners is 23 in a row which I've hit 3 times, if you have the nerve to compound all 23 that £10 would be around £3,200 by the time you cash out after 23. I usually start with £100 and see how far I can go before I (hopefully) bank. Match selection is obviously very important, you need to be as sure as you can of seeing a second half goal.

Apologies but I can't discuss filter criteria, I had a previous strategy that I sold and with so many people using it the market liquidity was destroyed and I can't use it anymore. I'm not going to make that mistake again but others are welcome to investigate their own criteria.
Do I get a whiff of bs?

Do I get a whiff of bs?

I think you'll find spoons that plenty of people on SZ will confirm that I don't post BS on here. All the above is true, trading is my profession and has been since April 2013. I also run accounts for family and close friends with a profit share at the end of each year (and they all came to me by the way, not the other way around). I'm not bothered whether people believe that or not, it doesn't interest me. For those who wish to investigate their own angles as a means of generating extra income then I've just given some very handy pointers. Bottom line is all football traders seek to identify a big edge over the markets and the only way to consistently do that is by using invaluable first half in-play stats in my opinion as I did at Southend on Tuesday (nothing else provides the same results over a sustained period). I love my job and I'll be doing it for life. If you think it's BS that's fine, no problem. As long as I'm hitting my targets while also generating tidy profits for family and friends each year then that's all that matters to me.

Back