• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greatest Essex Overseas Player

Just seen this on the BBC website and thought it would be rather fun to know who people would go for.
We've had some fantastic overseas players at Essex, some of which have been up there as the best in their profession.
I'm going for Kenny McEwan who was one of the main reasons we started winning titles and cups at Essex.
Over to you but no one is allowed to say Lonwabo Tsotobe who was shi**

Just seen this on the BBC website and thought it would be rather fun to know who people would go for.
We've had some fantastic overseas players at Essex, some of which have been up there as the best in their profession.
I'm going for Kenny McEwan who was one of the main reasons we started winning titles and cups at Essex.
Over to you but no one is allowed to say Lonwabo Tsotobe who was shi**

I always remember when he got dropped and through a paddy, was hilarious!

But back to the question. I'm a little younger so for me probably joint between Jesse Ryder and Scott Styris. Jesse produced some regular impressive performances and will always remember the t20 when Styris got his ton and pretty much beat Surrey on his own!

Scott Brant?

I'm surprised the BBC included Tendo (who isn't classified as an overseas player) over Stuart Law in their shortlist, but maybe his departure counts against him.

If we're including Kolpaks and UK/EU passport holders then I'd have thought Andy Flower and more recently Simon Harmer would be worth a mention as well.

For impact, I'd go Harmer. If we're looking at longevity then probably one of Boyce or McEwan, but it's difficult to split them as they were before my time. For entertainment, I loved watching Mark Waugh bat.

Dale Steyn is probably the best overseas player to have ever played for us. Shame it was before he was really good.

Scott Brant?

I'm surprised the BBC included Tendo (who isn't classified as an overseas player) over Stuart Law in their shortlist, but maybe his departure counts against him.

If we're including Kolpaks and UK/EU passport holders then I'd have thought Andy Flower and more recently Simon Harmer would be worth a mention as well.

For impact, I'd go Harmer. If we're looking at longevity then probably one of Boyce or McEwan, but it's difficult to split them as they were before my time. For entertainment, I loved watching Mark Waugh bat.

Dale Steyn is probably the best overseas player to have ever played for us. Shame it was before he was really good.

Alan Border was the best overseas player to play for Essex.

Alan Border was the best overseas player to play for Essex.

Border was the other name that came to mind but I have Steyn above even Border. That strikerate of his is just phenomenal and only McGrath and Murali have taken more wickets cheaper.

Incidentally, neither has the best test batting or bowling average (min 50 twickets or 20 innings with the bat) of a player who has played for Essex . Anyone want to guess as to who does?

Border was the other name that came to mind but I have Steyn above even Border. That strikerate of his is just phenomenal and only McGrath and Murali have taken more wickets cheaper.

Incidentally, neither has the best test batting or bowling average (min 50 twickets or 20 innings with the bat) of a player who has played for Essex . Anyone want to guess as to who does?
Danish with the ball?

I always remember when he got dropped and through a paddy, was hilarious!

But back to the question. I'm a little younger so for me probably joint between Jesse Ryder and Scott Styris. Jesse produced some regular impressive performances and will always remember the t20 when Styris got his ton and pretty much beat Surrey on his own!

I was at that game, think we needed 26 off the last over and Styris got it with Andrew Symonds bowling!

I was a late comer to cricket so don't have memories of some I know were great. I know my mates who watched Essex when I didn't loved Stuart Law.

Was Tendo ever overseas or always a kolpak? If we are including Kolpaks then Harmer is obvious, wouldn't have 2 championship titles without his wickets.

Enjoyed watching Styris, Danish, Ryder, Amir. Siddle probably deserves a mention too

Danish with the ball?

Not Danish - I reckon he'll have averaged closer to 40 than 20 in tests.

Let me know when you want a clue.

I was a late comer to cricket so don't have memories of some I know were great. I know my mates who watched Essex when I didn't loved Stuart Law.

Was Tendo ever overseas or always a kolpak? If we are including Kolpaks then Harmer is obvious, wouldn't have 2 championship titles without his wickets.

Enjoyed watching Styris, Danish, Ryder, Amir. Siddle probably deserves a mention too

Wagner too. Great bowler and has the heart of a lion.

FWIW I believe Tendo was signed through a Dutch passport - which isn't technically a Kolpak, which only applies to countries with a trading agreement with the EU. His signing was one I definitely got wrong as he eventually - it took a few years - turned into a great player for us.

At least 2 batsmen in the top 50 highest ODI batting average (min 30 innings) and 4 bowlers in the top 50 lowest ODI bowling averages of all time (min 50 wickets) have played for Essex.

Can you name them?

Back