• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greatest Essex Overseas Player

Is the right answer :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

The World's greatest all-rounder.

Ranks 1st for ODI Batting Average and 33rd for ODI Bowling average in the all-time list

Like your thinking - didn't he once get 6 for not many in tests - but doesn't qualify in tests and averages a highly respectable 28.36 as a bowler in ODIs.

Take out games against non test associate nations and I bet he doesn't score so highly haha

Is the right answer :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

The World's greatest all-rounder.

Ranks 1st for ODI Batting Average and 33rd for ODI Bowling average in the all-time list

Like your thinking - didn't he once get 6 for not many in tests - but doesn't qualify in tests and averages a highly respectable 28.36 as a bowler in ODIs.
So what are we left with to guess?

Take out games against non test associate nations and I bet he doesn't score so highly haha

I wouldn't recommend making that bet!

His ODI batting average against the current test playing nations is 62.20, which is still the highest of all time.

Even if you strip out Afganistan and Ireland who wouldn't have had test status at the time his ODI batting average against Aus/Ban/Eng/Ind/NZ/SL/WI is 42.57 which would be 36th all time (and no doubt those above him have their records inflated against minnows).

So what are we left with to guess?

Top 2 test batting averages
Flower
Border

Top 2 bowling averages
?????
Steyn

Top 2 ODI batting averages
RtD
Amla

Top 4 bowling ODI averages
Tait
RtD
?????
?????

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend making that bet!

His ODI batting average against the current test playing nations is 62.20, which is still the highest of all time.

Even if you strip out Afganistan and Ireland who wouldn't have had test status at the time his ODI batting average against Aus/Ban/Eng/Ind/NZ/SL/WI is 42.57 which would be 36th all time (and no doubt those above him have their records inflated against minnows).

Top 2 test batting averages
Flower
Border

Top 2 bowling averages
?????
Steyn

Top 2 ODI batting averages
RtD
Amla

Top 4 bowling ODI averages
????
RtD
?????
?????

That is even more impressive then! Well done RTD!

ODI Bowling Averages: Tait?

OK, we're so missing the bowler with the lowest test average to have played for Essex. It's name you'll have heard of but you might not know he played for Essex.

We're also missing two bowlers in the 50 best ODI averages of all time. I thought you might have got one this weekend and having read this thread the other is a name you'll know.

I'm pretty sure Chris Martin has had the lowest test average for many years but can't recall any him turning out for us

The test bowler is most famous for a match in which Tony Lock took a wicket.

One of the ODI bowlers has already had a mention on this thread; the other's most famous moment was facing Steve Harmison.

Back