• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Picked up this from another thread and it does seem we've done this before at some point, but not for a little while.

I guess the best way of doing this is for it to be your personal favourite. It could be an obvious one, like a promotion clinching day or a famous cup match, right down to something personal, like your first match you saw or the day your son or daughter first went to a game with you or was a mascot or similar. Or the day you completed all 92 grounds at a Southend match. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter.

I think, from my own perspective, it has to be the 1-0 win at Bury, sending us up to the second division for the first time ever.

Just the drama as the day unfolded and that never to be forgotten moment, as the ball rolled into the bottom corner of the Bury net!

I am so torn on this....always bury away rare moments of sheer ecstasy like that should be treasured. I'm lucky to have seen every major game..promotions...relegations etc since the early 80s.
Then wembley happened. The despair I was Feeling. Gathering up the programmes...the kids we were preparing to make a final whistle exit....then piggott scores that goal...i will use the same term....sheer ecstasy and this time it was was at the holy place of football..this time there were twenty thousand people feeling the same...this time I finally saw my team fulfill my ultimate wish of walking up the steps at Wembley and lifting a trophy. I didn't come down from that day for at least 48 hours. If we never get another promotion in our history I will not care. We had that day at Wembley.

That win at Bury for me and Liverpool at home in the snow was one never to forget.

Wembley, as Lee says, that late, late equaliser and then those penalties....simply amazing.

Honourable mention to the game v Bristol City, where we clinched promotion to the Championship as Champions from League 1 - the "Goater Goodbye" game.
[video=youtube;zUlC2RHlHvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUlC2RHlHvM[/video]

Tough one.

Greatest ever day - Wembley play off win I think. Bury away was a close second but I think the sheer drama v Wycombe swings it.

However, in terms of exhilaration, I think there are two moments for me that rival the above.

1) Going 2-0 up v Spurs in the league cup 2nd leg which put us ahead overall. This was a proper Spurs team, Lineker, Gascoigne et al, and despite winning 3-2 we lost on away goals. Cracking night.

2) Scoring v Man Utd. That moment was just so surreal. I stared at the linesman, convinced the goal would be somehow disallowed. Almost from the restart, Man Utd hit the post and I thought "Oh God, we've just annoyed them." However, the rest is history and the next thing I remember about the match is thinking we had another 30 minutes or so to hang on but looking at my watch and seeing that there were just 5 minutes left. Then the realisation that we were actually going to do it... oh my word. That's what supporting lower league teams is all about.

Wembley, as Lee says, that late, late equaliser and then those penalties....simply amazing.

Honourable mention to the game v Bristol City, where we clinched promotion to the Championship as Champions from League 1 - the "Goater Goodbye" game.
[video=youtube;zUlC2RHlHvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUlC2RHlHvM[/video]

I remember it well, thanks for posting, it actually made me cry :thumbsup:

2 great moments in my long 'career' stick out.......5-4 away win in thick snow at QPR (White City ground) in the 1960s, and the 2-0 FA Cup win at Swindon again in the 1960s when Swindon were riding high. Both great memories. There have been many!! It continues to be a ball. COYBB

We've had great days (Bury/Man U/winning Lg1) but it has to be Wembley, Piggy & the penalties for me. From abject low to a huge high that took me weeks to come down from.

2 great moments in my long 'career' stick out.......5-4 away win in thick snow at QPR (White City ground) in the 1960s,

Early 1964 and revenge for 5 consecutive defeats including a 5-3. "Slim" Jim Conway with a couple.

Other than a Football League Trophy 40 years later, the only other time we've beaten them since was that memorable Friday night 5-0 win in 2007.

Top three in no particular order are the 1-0 win v United, the turnaround at Wembley, and the 2-2 draw that clinched promotion.

My memory of the united game mostly matches up with FBM, waiting for the inevitable Man United breakthrough, and the sheer shock and euphoria at scoring, the rest of the game was spent waiting for the inevitable equaliser, then the atmosphere for the last half hour was Roots Hall at it's best, to be honest, it was all a bit of a blur the end. But the atmosphere didn't end at the final whistle, in the Spread afterwards, it was a proper party atmosphere. I'd earned those beers, and the hangover the morning after.

Swansea is one I'm surprised isn't mentioned. Again, another that showed the Southend fans at their best. It was a game that could win us promotion, at one of the toughest grounds in the league, a shoot out between the leagues two best strikers, and the two best footballing teams. We went behind twice, and twice Freddy dragged us back into it with typically brilliant finishes. Thinking about the celebrations gives me goosebumps just writing this.

Wembley though, wow, I saw friends, grown men, crying with joy and happiness. Very little in life gives you that level of joy and emotion. We are so lucky to have had that.

A personal honourable mention for me, the six one win at home to Oxford in c93/94. It was the first time a 13/14yo Blue Wes had ever seen Southend properly tank another side. It had Otto flying, Mooney shining, and Eagle soaring. It was beyond my dreams to see Southend score six, and back when I loved every player, and every thing about the club, back when my Rose Tinted glasses protected me from negativity. I truly truly loved the game that day.

Up the Blues.

Up the Blues.

Plymouth away under Alvin Martin, gone an incredible amount of away games without a win and then the French matchstick man Sada N'Diaye slotted home the winner

I've been following Southend for a very long time now and there have been a lot of great moments in that time. I nearly went for the Southend v Tottenham moment, but in the end I just have to go with this one:

[video=youtube;9O2iaJqVxUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O2iaJqVxUk[/video]

I still get the goosebumps watching this that I got live on the day.

A personal honourable mention for me, the six one win at home to Oxford in c93/94. It was the first time a 13/14yo Blue Wes had ever seen Southend properly tank another side. It had Otto flying, Mooney shining, and Eagle soaring. It was beyond my dreams to see Southend score six, and back when I loved every player, and every thing about the club, back when my Rose Tinted glasses protected me from negativity. I truly truly loved the game that day.

And the last time we did as well.......

For me. Wembley. I never thought I'd see a goal celebrated more than Benjy at Bury or Freddie v Man U and then came the Pig, which will be the greatest few seconds I'll have in a football stadium. Or anywhere. (both my kids are aware of this. I saw them both get born).

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't top the Wembley play off but the win over Orient to get to Wembley for the first time was pretty special.

Top three in no particular order are the 1-0 win v United, the turnaround at Wembley, and the 2-2 draw that clinched promotion.

My memory of the united game mostly matches up with FBM, waiting for the inevitable Man United breakthrough, and the sheer shock and euphoria at scoring, the rest of the game was spent waiting for the inevitable equaliser, then the atmosphere for the last half hour was Roots Hall at it's best, to be honest, it was all a bit of a blur the end. But the atmosphere didn't end at the final whistle, in the Spread afterwards, it was a proper party atmosphere. I'd earned those beers, and the hangover the morning after.

Swansea is one I'm surprised isn't mentioned. Again, another that showed the Southend fans at their best. It was a game that could win us promotion, at one of the toughest grounds in the league, a shoot out between the leagues two best strikers, and the two best footballing teams. We went behind twice, and twice Freddy dragged us back into it with typically brilliant finishes. Thinking about the celebrations gives me goosebumps just writing this.

Wembley though, wow, I saw friends, grown men, crying with joy and happiness. Very little in life gives you that level of joy and emotion. We are so lucky to have had that.

Up the Blues.

Up the Blues.

[video=youtube;4bU3tlCFl4I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bU3tlCFl4I[/video]

For me. Wembley. I never thought I'd see a goal celebrated more than Benjy at Bury or Freddie v Man U and then came the Pig, which will be the greatest few seconds I'll have in a football stadium. Or anywhere. (both my kids are aware of this. I saw them both get born)

Still love this clip. The noise is truly unbelievable, when the ball hits the net at (1.17) :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8uRnZLcM48

Still get goosebumps now, playing it back. Extraordinary! :thumbsup:

Back