• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greens have more members than Lib/Dems & UKIP

Thank you for confirming my point. You don't live here. Thus your argument as to what it's like to live here day in and day out is null and void and your opinions are pointless.

And thank you for highlighting my spelling mistake. I've reciprocated and highlighted your grammatical error. Just to keep things even.

Looks more like a typo to me.

Btw,I've never claimed to know what it's like to live in the UK day in and day out these days.

Calling another person's opinions "pointless" is, of course,not an argument in itself but merely a fascist,knee jerk reaction.

I'm a British citizen and passport holder.Get over it.

Looks more like a typo to me.

Btw,I've never claimed to know what it's like to live in the UK day in and day out these days.

Calling another person's opinions "pointless" is, of course,not an argument in itself but merely a fascist,knee jerk reaction.

I'm a British citizen and passport holder.Get over it.

and wages are going up so why don't you get over it?

I'm glad to hear someones wages are going up, most people who I know are still on the decrease, mine included. In the last 3 years Ive lost £80 per week, had below inflation pay rises and had my workload increased for good measure and now face redundancy. Happy days eh.

I'm glad to hear someones wages are going up, most people who I know are still on the decrease, mine included. In the last 3 years Ive lost £80 per week, had below inflation pay rises and had my workload increased for good measure and now face redundancy. Happy days eh.

I'm sorry to hear that but the fact remains the economy is growing and wages are going up.

Wages are on the increase for everyone I know. This "cost of living" crisis is a fallacy created by Labour to make people feel like they are being robbed by the government. I know lots of people on high and low income and none of them are blaming the government for lack of earnings. The truth of the matter is that if Labour were to get back in power, I guarantee you would not see much more of this £80 per week you speak of. At absolute best you'd be a few quid better off. I never noticed any change in my income when we changed to Labour, nor when Conservative came into power. It's not going to be some "great income tax giveaway" if they come to power. I suspect that Labour will be a lot more focused on trying to maintain some prudence since it is mostly what cost them last election (aside from Brown Clown) and if they don't, then they'll be taking the country down the same old slippery slope.

For what its worth, I'm not sure mega-taxing the top earners is a great idea in itself, especially those who bring value to the economy (i.e. inventors versus those born with a silver spoon in their mouth). If I was one of these people and Labour introduced some 50% tax, I'd have it off on my toes to another country where I wouldn't be so royally shafted. Result is that the country lose a good mind and lose any revenue stream from that person. Would production then cease in that persons country as he/she moves operations? Possibly. Suddenly hundreds/thousands lose their jobs and zero per week is a lot worse than what they were being paid.

If I was in your situation, I would be demanding answers as to why you've not seen increases, especially since it sounds like revenue for your firm must be up. And if a valid explanation is not offered, go and find someone who will pay your worth.

If you really want to talk about the economy on this thread, then you should take on board that this will be the first government in British history since the 20's, to preside over a fall in the real value of wages and living standards in the five years they've been in office.That's quite an achievement.

(Btw,as a freelance I haven't been able to give myself a wage rise for some years now).

.For what its worth, I'm not sure mega-taxing the top earners is a great idea in itself, especially those who bring value to the economy (i.e. inventors versus those born with a silver spoon in their mouth). If I was one of these people and Labour introduced some 50% tax, I'd have it off on my toes to another country where I wouldn't be so royally shafted.

It is an absolute disgrace that-according to Oxfam- the top 1% of the world's population will soon own 48& of the world's wealth.

That's set to go up to 51% by 2016.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30875633

It is an absolute disgrace that-according to Oxfam- the top 1% of the world's population will soon own 48& of the world's wealth.

That's set to go up to 51% by 2016.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30875633

Oh no!!!! It was only a matter of time before Barna saw this.

This Oxfam report is an absolute travesty; a dodgy dossier of poorly understood statistics and half truths plugging an institutional agenda.

The report looks at net wealth and this is where the problems begin. It splits net wealth into deciles and finds that 8% of Americans are in the bottom 10% of net wealth yet not a single person in China is. This will come as a surprise to subsistence farmers in the Western Provinces with a life expectancy of 50.

Net debt skews the result massively because it is possible to return negative results where debt exceeds assets. Hence 8% of the American population are deemed to be in the bottom 10% because their (mainly mortgage) debts exceed the value of their (mainly property) assets.

In fact, when you look at the data further you find that approximately the bottom 30% have negative net wealth. That means that a debt free person with 50p in his pocket is more "wealthy" than 30% of the global population. It is totally nuts.

The American with negative net assets may have household earnings of $100,000 but be underwater on a 5 year mortgage. They have a substantially better standard of living, consumption power and life expectancy than the peasant farmer that Oxfam say is better off.

I'm afraid this kind of thing is depressingly more common and Oxfam have been pushing this line for a long time. What Oxfam don't say is that globalisation has brought about a halving of absolute poverty, undernourishment and death due to preventable disease since 1990 rather shows the political campaign group it has become.

This Oxfam report is an absolute travesty; a dodgy dossier of poorly understood statistics and half truths plugging an institutional agenda.

The report looks at net wealth and this is where the problems begin. It splits net wealth into deciles and finds that 8% of Americans are in the bottom 10% of net wealth yet not a single person in China is. This will come as a surprise to subsistence farmers in the Western Provinces with a life expectancy of 50.

Net debt skews the result massively because it is possible to return negative results where debt exceeds assets. Hence 8% of the American population are deemed to be in the bottom 10% because their (mainly mortgage) debts exceed the value of their (mainly property) assets.

In fact, when you look at the data further you find that approximately the bottom 30% have negative net wealth. That means that a debt free person with 50p in his pocket is more "wealthy" than 30% of the global population. It is totally nuts.

The American with negative net assets may have household earnings of $100,000 but be underwater on a 5 year mortgage. They have a substantially better standard of living, consumption power and life expectancy than the peasant farmer that Oxfam say is better off.

I'm afraid this kind of thing is depressingly more common and Oxfam have been pushing this line for a long time. What Oxfam don't say is that globalisation has brought about a halving of absolute poverty, undernourishment and death due to preventable disease since 1990 rather shows the political campaign group it has become.

Oxfam are an organisation I go out of my way to avoid because they have become a political pressure group rather than a pure aid programme.

If you really want to talk about the economy on this thread, then you should take on board that this will be the first government in British history since the 20's, to preside over a fall in the real value of wages and living standards in the five years they've been in office.That's quite an achievement.

(Btw,as a freelance I haven't been able to give myself a wage rise for some years now).

Yes I watch PMQ's as well - also worth taking on board that the current government took over the largest deficit in western europe - I'll post a link (I know you're fond of them) to help explain.

As for your pay rise, you don't live in the UK remember?

http://www.debtbombshell.com/britains-budget-deficit.htm

The house awaits reply from the unhonourable member for Barcelona, still.

Yes I watch PMQ's as well - also worth taking on board that the current government took over the largest deficit in western europe - I'll post a link (I know you're fond of them) to help explain.

As for your pay rise, you don't live in the UK remember?

http://www.debtbombshell.com/britains-budget-deficit.htm

Glad to hear that you watch PMQ's too.

I understand from my self-employed friends in the UK that they haven't been able to give themselves a pay rise recently, either.

Having watched that C4 programme on Low wage Britain the other night,(you'll remember it was referenced by a Labour MP in PMQ's),frankly, I can't say I'm too suprised,

Back