• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greetings from Yeovil...

YeovilMac

Hi all,

I come in peace and shan't mention either (a) the ref, (b) the sending-offs or (c) the penalty award from now on...;)

I just wanted to get your views on our programme, from those who travelled. I work on it and would appreciate both kinds of feedback as we're always in the market for improving it.

Best wishes for the rest of the season.

I come in peace and shan't mention either (a) the ref, (b) the sending-offs or (c) the penalty award

d) Best wishes for the rest of the season.

You won't, but i will ....

a) had a good game by all accounts
b) disgusting challenge for the straight red obvious decision so why your other guy argued the toss to earn a second yellow is beyond me
c) clear cut for me
d) same to you, especially against Col Ewe and The Ooze of course ;)

You won't, but i will ....

a) had a good game by all accounts
b) disgusting challenge for the straight red obvious decision so why your other guy argued the toss to earn a second yellow is beyond me
c) clear cut for me
d) same to you, especially against Col Ewe and The Ooze of course ;)

Yeah seeing as we didnt have the best view of pretty much the entire game I looked again at said incidents via Virgin Media. As BlueBlood said the pen was a pen and the guy deserved to go off for that challenge. And anyone on a yellow should know that they cant go over the top in abusing officials.

The game as a whole was ruined as a spectacle by the weather and I've always enjoyed my trips to Yeovil as the fans are always most welcoming. Good luck for the rest of the season (bar our home game) . What did you make of us?

Hi all,

I come in peace and shan't mention either (a) the ref, (b) the sending-offs or (c) the penalty award from now on...;)

I just wanted to get your views on our programme, from those who travelled. I work on it and would appreciate both kinds of feedback as we're always in the market for improving it.

Put any money you make into getting 100% of cover for the stands.

Good luck with the programme & the home record.

Peace on you too.

Hi all,

Can't comment on the game as I wasn't there, but I do genuinely hope that you sort things out on the pitch and manage to stay up. Your fans have always struck me as a great bunch with a healthy dose of humility. As we're lucky enough to have Colchester for "rivals" I'm acutely aware that that isn't always the case.

Hi all,

I too will mention points you won't!

a) Couldn't make his mind up & tried to favour one side then the other. Not giving a penalty for the foul on Revell a bit later on amazed me. He went through him to win the ball!

b) The intent was there to hurt the player & whether he made contact the ball doesn't matter. He lost his temper & tried to hurt the player. OTT verbals when on a yellow is Kevin Maher-like stupidity.

c) See above, but was penalty.

As for the programme 8 out of 10. Good size, plenty to read, especially about the SUFC players & the articles were generally well written.

Bad points, The Moose section where he felt it necessary to tell an Essex girl joke! Jog on Nobhead, especially one wearing a Wet Spam shirt! Too many adverts, but thats a minor gripe!

Good luck for the rest of the season, as I enjoyed my stay in Yeovil, but wish you had a few more pubs that haven't been turned into houses/flats. The locals were very friendly & generous in defeat, even the morning after.

All the best.

Thanks for your input guys.

As far as the three "non-discussion" items were concerned, I may as well give you my musings now you have.

1. I thought the ref was truly awful on Saturday. He was one of those over-fussy officials who insist on teams taking free-kicks and throw-ins from EXACTLY the position they should be. Technically correct but in the spirit of the game? No way...and that was for both sides...

2. I was in the Main Stand on the far side of the dugouts from yourselves so couldn't see either dismissal. Looking at it on The Championship yesterday morning, I thought Schofield deserved a yellow and if Roberts did show dissent to the ref after being booked then he got what he merited, a second yellow followed by a red.

3. The penalty was a nailed-on penalty. Nathan Jones ( the culprit ) even nodded acknowledgement to his captain after he'd done it so no complaints there either.

Good wishes to you for the rest of the season, we're up there at the back end of January, FA Cup 4th round permitting. Maybe we'll be at Anfield and you'll be at Old Trafford that day so the game will be postponed, who knows.

I found it amusing to hear the Yeovil fans singing "We Always Get Poo* Refs" as i've only ever heard our fans sing it before

* = for the benefit of the Yeovil fan - we are currently having a discussion as to whether we are allowed to use a ! or a * instead of an i when describing excretia, and i don't want to upset the mods by using either at the moment ;)

Thanks for your input guys.

As far as the three "non-discussion" items were concerned, I may as well give you my musings now you have.

1. I thought the ref was truly awful on Saturday. He was one of those over-fussy officials who insist on teams taking free-kicks and throw-ins from EXACTLY the position they should be. Technically correct but in the spirit of the game? No way...and that was for both sides...

2. I was in the Main Stand on the far side of the dugouts from yourselves so couldn't see either dismissal. Looking at it on The Championship yesterday morning, I thought Schofield deserved a yellow and if Roberts did show dissent to the ref after being booked then he got what he merited, a second yellow followed by a red.

The penalty was a nailed-on penalty. Nathan Jones ( the culprit ) even nodded acknowledgement to his captain after he'd done it so no complaints there either.

Good wishes to you for the rest of the season, we're up there at the back end of January, FA Cup 4th round permitting. Maybe we'll be at Anfield and you'll be at Old Trafford that day so the game will be postponed, who knows.

Sorted out your stewards yet,very naughty of them for picking on the easy targets of your support for minor crimes.And of course,it's all Leeds' fault!

Hi all,

I would like to be able to answer your question about the programme, but I've not been able to bring myself to read it as it got so wet that most of the pages have stuck together. During the game I kept the programme in an inside pocket of my coat, but as we were given absolutely no protection from the elements and got rained on all afternoon, the rain seeped through and damaged the programme. I've just gone through trying to separate them and some of them have just ripped apart. I'm going to try and phone Yeovil tomorrow to see if I can get a new one, what do you reckon my chances are?

I would like to be able to answer your question about the programme, but I've not been able to bring myself to read it as it got so wet that most of the pages have stuck together. During the game I kept the programme in an inside pocket of my coat, but as we were given absolutely no protection from the elements and got rained on all afternoon, the rain seeped through and damaged the programme. I've just gone through trying to separate them and some of them have just ripped apart. I'm going to try and phone Yeovil tomorrow to see if I can get a new one, what do you reckon my chances are?

Should have done what I did. I put mine in a bin bag & wrapped it up & read it when I got back to my hotel room. There I read a perfectly dry programme!

I hope you appreciate that Aberdeen Shrimper!!

Should have done what I did. I put mine in a bin bag & wrapped it up & read it when I got back to my hotel room. There I read a perfectly dry programme!

I hope you appreciate that Aberdeen Shrimper!!

Yeah, on reflection I should have walked back to the car and left in there, but you don't think of such things when you're just about to go into a football ground, do you?

Your chances of ringing the club tomorrow? Quite good if you call the correct number....:whistling:

Seriously though, call them on 01935 423662 and they should be able to send you one. I'd get one for you but I'll only have to do what you have to as I live up in Bristol ( saw the good sense to leave Yeovil years ago...).

Yeah, on reflection I should have walked back to the car and left in there, but you don't think of such things when you're just about to go into a football ground, do you?

I took the bin bag out of my car boot. I thought it could keep me dry if it chucked it down. I decided to use it for my programmes instead, as I didn't think the pink recycling bags would suit me.

I had a whole roll of bags in my boot!!

Hi all,

All the first part has been done to death, so the programme: I quite liked it. Good stuff to read and quite a nice bit on the away team as well, which was a nice change from some that we see.

Actually quite liked the Essex joke.....

Seriously though, call them on 01935 423662 and they should be able to send you one. I'd get one for you but I'll only have to do what you have to as I live up in Bristol ( saw the good sense to leave Yeovil years ago...).

Thanks for the (kind of) offer, and thanks too for the offer of help I got from another SZer via PM.

Well, I phoned up this morning and after hearing about a thousand different options I could press, finally got through to a friendly lady with a Somerset accent. Poor girl though didn't have much idea what time of day it was (it was 10.45am):

She: Good afternoon........ errr, no sorry, good morning.

Me: Hello, I'd like to speak to someone about getting a programme from Saturday's game please.

She: Oh, you'll need to speak to someone in the programme hut, but there's no one there at this time of day..............oh, hold on, what am I saying, there might be........ but they're all volunteers, you see, and in this weather.....well, you know....... I'll try putting you through...

Me: ???

There then followed the funniest phone on hold music I've ever heard as some Wurzels tribute band blurted out "Yeovil, we are the Yeovil" or something like that to some jolly, cider-swigging tune.

Anyway, managed to contain my laughter by the time someone answered the phone. I spoke to a very friendly guy who said he could help me out no problem, I need to send him a cheque for £4 - "I won't charge you the full postage cost as you've already bought the programme once" - and then it should be on its way to me.

So despite the humorous moments, I was very impressed with the service and the help from the good folk of Yeovil. They get a :clap: from me, and they'll get double once the programme actually arrives!

:D

That music was "Yeovil True", a "humorous" song based on Two Little Boys, the Rolf Harris from years ago. It made number 36 in the Top Forty in January 2005 in the build-up to our FA Cup game against Liverpool....

Back