• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
Oh why oh why..did we not wear blue on two historic days?
We go to our first ever major Cup Final, take 20,000 supporters and wear and awful grey thing. Now I realise that was to make money on shirt sales but why not a Cup Final Souvenir Shirt in errr..blue? Blackpool in tangerine against Southend United in ..err grey! Horrible.
Then, in 2006 we need to beat Bristol City to cap a momentus year...and we wear some white and black strip that (*to my knowledge) has no significance to Southend United. It still spoils my glee at watching Wayne Gray clinch the title because he is wearing..a black and white shirt at home after wearing blue all season.
WHY OH WHY OH WHY???

Am I just a traditionalist? Or should we continue to avoid wearing blue in the wider public glare?

Err getting carried away in title..White and BLACK against Bristol City.
See..the colour was so insignificant!!!!!!

I believe we played in the White and Black against Bristol City because all of the Blue Shirts where thrown to the crowd the week before in our draw at the Liberty Stadium to clinch promotion.

I could be wrong !!

I believe we played in the White and Black against Bristol City because all of the Blue Shirts where thrown to the crowd the week before in our draw at the Liberty Stadium to clinch promotion.

I could be wrong !!

UNBELIVABLE!!!!!!
Other clubs win promotion or a championship away from home prior to the end of the season..and they don't wear an alien strip at home the following week. That is ridiculous!!!

Grey? Silver? It was horrible and 20,000 supporters struggled to associate with the colour on the day.

What will we clinch the title in this year? Green & orange hoops?

Yes it was the away strip that season.
Name another club you have ever seen play a Football League game at home..in there away kit? Not charity, centenary or one-off "specials".

As said it was because the players threw their shirts in the crowd and the club didnt want to pay of a new strip for one game.

Does it really matter !?

Name another club you have ever seen play a Football League game at home..in there away kit? Not charity, centenary or one-off "specials".

It happens quite frequently. Usually due to a misunderstanding over colours with the visiting team (oh, that sort of blue !) or an over fussy referee. We wore that ghastly two-tone red away kit at home a few times.

Obviously not...to most.
However, it seems an obstacle that every other club in the league manages to get over. You wear you home kit at home.

To me? We play in blue at home. On the day we win only our second ever Championship..we should have played in blue. Is not rocket science..just history and tradition!

We go to our first ever major Cup Final, take 20,000 supporters and wear and awful grey thing. Now I realise that was to make money on shirt sales but why not a Cup Final Souvenir Shirt in errr..blue? Blackpool in tangerine against Southend United in ..err grey! Horrible.
Then, in 2006 we need to beat Bristol City to cap a momentus year...and we wear some white and black strip that (*to my knowledge) has no significance to Southend United. It still spoils my glee at watching Wayne Gray clinch the title because he is wearing..a black and white shirt at home after wearing blue all season.
WHY OH WHY OH WHY???

Am I just a traditionalist? Or should we continue to avoid wearing blue in the wider public glare?

If you mix black and white you get...GRAY = a winner:smile:

WHY OH WHY OH WHY???

You've alluded to the answer already. Newly reformed philanthropist of the year, Ron Martin, cornered the market in the lowest cost, tackiest shirts available and the rest, as they say, is history.

Not a league match but I remember Col EWE having to play in their ornage away strip at home to us in the semi final first leg of the LDV, thanks to a bit of skulduggery on the part of the Mighty Shrimpers LOL:smile:

It happens quite frequently. Usually due to a misunderstanding over colours with the visiting team (oh, that sort of blue !) or an over fussy referee. We wore that ghastly two-tone red away kit at home a few times.

But Bristol City play in red!

In hindsight a pointless argument. To me just a great shame and completely amateurish and unessecary.

I didn't see the game, but Newcastle United had to wear their away kit against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1993-94 season because both Wednesday's home and away kits were deemed to clash with the Newcastle home kit.

Spurs wore their nextseasons away shirt against Blackburn on the last day of the 2001-2002 season, I assume in an attept to get some pre-season sales. It backfired, as they lost 0-4.

And of course the England national team frequently switch between the white and red shirts when playing at Wembley.

The silver kit was a disgrace really we could have done a one-off special shirt in Blue, I probably would have bought it then!

I didn't see the game, but Newcastle United had to wear their away kit against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1993-94 season because both Wednesday's home and away kits were deemed to clash with the Newcastle home kit.

Spurs wore their nextseasons away shirt against Blackburn on the last day of the 2001-2002 season, I assume in an attept to get some pre-season sales. It backfired, as they lost 0-4.

And of course the England national team frequently switch between the white and red shirts when playing at Wembley.

England? International games are different. It is/was considered courteous to your guests to offer to change shirt at home. Also in European competion in the past..maybe still.??

The Newcastle situation is different..not of their own making.
Spurs? Many teams promote the following season strip at the end of a season..but usually the new home style.

The point is. Bristol City wear red. We were not modelling a new strip for purchase in the close-season.

We chose to wear non-blue strips in two huge matches, against teams we could not possibly clash colours with (tangerine and red for gods' sake!!). The people in charge of these matters should realise, Southend United wear blue.

Back