• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Grim down south - a frozen match report

Southendsleeper

Manager
Not bad, just not great

So so cold, snow at some points.

The goals like the snow came in a flurry, Guttridge's header and Gowers class finish coming minutes apart.

Sodje is a class player, showing almost arrogance in some of his defending, his positioning is excellent as is his heading, some of his passing goes astray but he is comitted.

Gower was great today, deserving of his man of the match award, at one point losing the ball, straight away to his feet tracking back and then scything the player down. He seems to have got his confidence back, and his celebration reflected this. As Gowers confidence grows, Freddys seems to be dimishing, he had some few good touches, but was marked out of the game, he'll come good though.

Barrett, Wilson and unsung hero Jupp were good without being great, and yes Wiggy, Daryl was on good form doing what was required of him, some good punching of the ball.

Swindon did have periods of dominance, the last 10 mintues of the game we seemed to want to gift them a goal, defending too deep, and it was a case of Swindon being poor more than brilliant defending.

The PA system is knacked. The poor bloke who was trying to read over it struggled for the whole time I was there, there was no music, well if you strained your ears you could just make it out, and when trying to read out the Col U away details he gave up and just reported its on the website. Apparently we're playing *crackle hiss silence* in two weeks time
tounge.gif

And you had to feel for the bloke doing the half time challenge, his third shot hit the canvas, his fourth well placed hit the bar. I laughed my socks off.

Oh and did I mention we're top of the league
biggrin.gif

I agree with pretty much everything there - the first time I've seen Sodje play and he looks very settled in a Southend shirt already...

I feel sorry for the Swindon fans (not) - I can't see them playing in this league next year.

I think one of the other main aspects of Efe's game that has impressed me a lot is his communication with the rest of the back 4 and those in front of him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Jan. 27 2006,23:46)]I think one of the other main aspects of Efe's game that has impressed me a lot is his communication with the rest of the back 4 and those in front of him.
Exactly what I was going to say! I notice he was telling Jupp what to do a lot of the time and he seems very much in control - him and Barrett in defence together are a great combination!

Only one goal conceded in four matches since Sodje signed - and that was a wonder goal by DJ Campbell. His distribution isn't great but otherwise he's a quality defender and makes the art look remarkably easy at times. As stated above he's a great communicator and to be honest I'm completely bemused as to why he fell out of favour at Yeovil.

Overall, I'm delighted with the win tonight and this in spite of a below par performance - though reading the Official Site it looks like a few of our players were suffering flu so that might explain why we never hit top gear.

Difficult to know what to make of Swindon - for the first 25 minutes they played well, stifling us in midfield with their bank of five and during that period you could see why their results had improved of late. However, once the goals went in they blatantly had no plan B and looked definite relegation fodder. I guess the loss of Fallon might explain this, mind you.

Only worries are that Gutts and Gray picked up injuries, the latter a hamstring problem which I guess could rule him out for a month.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Jan. 28 2006,00:51)]though reading the Official Site it looks like a few of our players were suffering flu so that might explain why we never hit top gear.
To be fair, once we'd scored they had no answer at all - we didn't need top gear! At first Swindon didn't look too bad, but after we scored they offered nothing in response, even when we seemed not to be trying in the second half.

I can see why they're in trouble.

Thought we really dropped off the pace once we got halfway thru 2nd half, but it was game over by then anyway.
Surprisingly, after the game whilst coming out of the Family stand there were people moaning!! "Play like that all year and we'll go no-where". We did point out that we are top of the league but some people are just never happy!

Personally thought Sodje had his worst game for us so far - illness obviously affected him. Shows how good he's been in the past i suppose!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Jan. 28 2006,00:51)]Only one goal conceded in four matches since Sodje signed - and that was a wonder goal by DJ Campbell.
You're right. Only one goal conceded since Sodje signed, but that goal came from a mistake by Sodje himself. A crossfield pass that was unnecessary and dangerous, and was cut out.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Sodje's. I am merely pointing out is that it is easy to find statistics to suit your argument.

strange how we see the game differently. For me Sodje was great. Was first to nearly every header and his anticipation was excellent. Always gets the ball down and passes short to one of our midfield players when possible, just made one or two errors.

I am one of those in the West that were negative about last night's performance.To some extent with players seemingly under the weather and a poor opposition that's good enough. Too much airy-fairy f%&king about at the back that a better team would have punished. The only one not to get sucked into this was Juppy, apart from one ball that went under his feet. Gower tried to be clever in his own half a couple of times and nearly got caught out.

A less than convincing performance but three vital points, and I'd much rather have points than games in hand. Apart from the first five minutes and Bentley's run and shot I don't think we created a meaningful chance in the second half. Big ticks in the box for Gray, Gower, Sodje and Jupp last night. Everyone else (including Maher) was decidedly average.

On the positive side that's the last we've seen of Eastwood, and on last night's performance we won't be missing him. All this b******s about playing deeper to collect the ball is fine if there's an end product from him or he creates a chance for someone else. Caught in posession too many time when, having beaten a couple of players and sucked others in a neat lay off would have been the preferred option.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 28 2006,11:31)]On the positive side that's the last we've seen of Eastwood, and on last night's performance we won't be missing him. All this b******s about playing deeper to collect the ball is fine if there's an end product from him or he creates a chance for someone else. Caught in posession too many time when, having beaten a couple of players and sucked others in a neat lay off would have been the preferred option.
yeah I thought Eastwood was guff last night, there were times we'd be bursting forward and he'd still be in our own half trotting at a slow jog!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 28 2006,11:31)]On the positive side that's the last we've seen of Eastwood, and on last night's performance we won't be missing him.
Can't deny Eastwood had a poor game last night, especially 2nd half, but that's harsh to say the least!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 28 2006,11:31)]I am one of those in the West that were negative about last night's performance.To some extent with players seemingly under the weather and a poor opposition that's good enough.  Too much airy-fairy f%&king about at the back that a better team would have punished. The only one not to get sucked into this was Juppy, apart from one ball that went under his feet. Gower tried to be clever in his own half a couple of times and nearly got caught out.

A less than convincing performance but three vital points, and I'd much rather have points than games in hand. Apart from the first five minutes and Bentley's run and shot I don't think we created a meaningful chance in the second half. Big ticks in the box for Gray, Gower, Sodje and Jupp last night. Everyone else (including Maher) was decidedly average.

On the positive side that's the last we've seen of Eastwood, and on last night's performance we won't be missing him. All this b******s about playing deeper to collect the ball is fine if there's an end product from him or he creates a chance for someone else. Caught in posession too many time when, having beaten a couple of players and sucked others in a neat lay off would have been the preferred option.
Is this a wind-up?

If you believe this rubbish you'd be better off not going again mate! This is the best squad we've had for years and they did what they had to do on Friday night. No more no less. Thought we controlled the game for 80 mins and once we scored knew we'd go on to win the game.
How you can say we'd be better off without Eastwood is beyond me. All other clubs in this division would love to have Freddy in there squad and we're lucky that we have a great manager in Tilly that managed to spot this talent in the non league. Stop moaning and start enjoying the fact that we're top of Division 1. Would you rather go back to the dark days of Whelan, Martin and Wignall era's when we were fighting to stay in the football league. I don't

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 28 2006,11:31)]All this b******s about playing deeper to collect the ball is fine if there's an end product from him or he creates a chance for someone else. Caught in posession too many time when, having beaten a couple of players and sucked others in a neat lay off would have been the preferred option.
In a highly unsual moment I'm going to agree with ORM, Once Resplendent Midfielder.

I've said it until I'm blue in the face, as opposed to my normal puce when watching The Crabmeister
biggrin.gif
IMHO Fredy plays too deep too often.  He's got the tricks to beat players for fun, but doing it from the halfway line means the opposition's got 8 men between him & the goal so he'll end up running into one of them sooner or later.  Do the same on the edge of the area & he' s got the chance of a shot or a penalty after perhaps only beating one man.  His 1st 2 goals in league football were close in headers, the playoff final goal lashed in from a yard.  Fredy needs to spend more time in & around the penalty area where the really good experienced strikers get their results.

He also on Friday seemed reluctant too shoot, as on several occasions when there were huge holes in the centre of Swindon's defence but he tracked across field rather than straightening up & having a pop.

Fredy's still learning which is why I don't think a Championship team, like say Norwich, who need a proven goal getter will be interested in him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 28 2006,11:31)]I am one of those in the West that were negative about last night's performance.To some extent with players seemingly under the weather and a poor opposition that's good enough. Too much airy-fairy f%&king about at the back that a better team would have punished. The only one not to get sucked into this was Juppy, apart from one ball that went under his feet. Gower tried to be clever in his own half a couple of times and nearly got caught out.

You obviously missed the best chance of the game then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ Jan. 29 2006,14:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 28 2006,11:31)]All this b******s about playing deeper to collect the ball is fine if there's an end product from him or he creates a chance for someone else. Caught in posession too many time when, having beaten a couple of players and sucked others in a neat lay off would have been the preferred option.
In a highly unsual moment I'm going to agree with ORM, Once Resplendent Midfielder.

I've said it until I'm blue in the face, as opposed to my normal puce when watching The Crabmeister
biggrin.gif
IMHO Fredy plays too deep too often.  He's got the tricks to beat players for fun, but doing it from the halfway line means the opposition's got 8 men between him & the goal so he'll end up running into one of them sooner or later.  Do the same on the edge of the area & he' s got the chance of a shot or a penalty after perhaps only beating one man.  His 1st 2 goals in league football were close in headers, the playoff final goal lashed in from a yard.  Fredy needs to spend more time in & around the penalty area where the really good experienced strikers get their results.

He also on Friday seemed reluctant too shoot, as on several occasions when there were huge holes in the centre of Swindon's defence but he tracked across field rather than straightening up & having a pop.

Fredy's still learning which is why I don't think a Championship team, like say Norwich, who need a proven goal getter will be interested in him.
Blimey, now I'm agreeing with Hooly....what is this world coming to?

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 29 2006,19:24)]Tony's just fishing for an argument.... don't give him the satisfaction of rising to the bait.

tounge.gif
I agree with ORM.

We were very sloppy on Friday night, had we played anywhere near out best we would have won by 4 or 5.

Eastwood was poor on Friday, lost count of the times he got the ball at his feet and then proceeded to lose it very easily. He's still a good player but needs to be in or around the penalty area a lot more.

Back