• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 0-0 Southend United

I thought that was a frustrating watch, we were so ridiculously comfortable the whole game, but never really felt like we were going for it. Sim is very tidy on the ball, but I feel like we'd unlock so much more from him if he had someone he could play off from. I thought Reeco looked even better on the ball this week, despite not scoring. It's a point away from home, which is always good, but that game was absolutely there for the taking.

Terrible game, as someone mentioned earlier, ruined by the pitch and the ref. I got a bit p****d off with the commentators who spent most of the second-half making excuses for all the fouls their players' were making. Either it was the pitch, they were silly, or they weren't intentional. We'll be counting our bruises on the way home, just praying that it's nothing serious with Olayinka. Silly yellow cards for macca and bemi but you could understand their frustration at us not being protected. Referee let too much slip in the first-half and it was well into the second-half until he produced his first card. He was almost losing it at the end.

Better side but maybe didn’t create quite enough to say we deserved to win.

Considering pitch and our record at Grimsby, very happy with a point.

ANG & RHF best players for me.

One area where I might disagree with most is the referee. Thought he was OK - not every mistimed challenge has to be a booking.

There's no denying we've improved enormously over the past few weeks but today showed we are not out of the woods yet. Yes, the ref and pitch were awful, but a very poor L2 team bullied us out of the game today. I still believe we have more than enough to survive this year, but I don't expect a stroll in the park. Hope MM brings in a couple more during this window.

Was the wrong starting lineup for me! Same situation as the borient game!! Kyle taylor should have started he is our play maker and brings pace to the midfield! I'm not buying all this hes been injured or covid.how old is he? Exactley!! He was diagnosed with covid 4 weeks ago and so hes done his isolation time and he must have been fit by now! Poor selection from mm today has cost us but I would always take a point away from home and beat the others at fortress rootshall.

Last edited:
Oxley 7
Bwomono 7
Hobson 7
White 7
Hart 6
Demetriou 8
Dieng 6
Olayinka 6
RHF 8
Akinola 6
ANG 8 MOTM

McCormack 7

Take the point, we are not going down, never for one second thought we would concede. It will be Grimsby & A N Other for the drop. 3 home games next, we will be above the bottom 2 after these games, ANG best player, only really him & RHF who could keep their feet, both nimble and ANG can use both feet. Special mention for Demitriou who had his best game of the season and bossed the midfield. Enough said by others about the pitch and Ref, undecided which was worst. UTB

Better side but maybe didn’t create quite enough to say we deserved to win.

Considering pitch and our record at Grimsby, very happy with a point.

ANG & RHF best players for me.

One area where I might disagree with most is the referee. Thought he was OK - not every mistimed challenge has to be a booking.

The ref was awful - gave the impression he didn’t want to be there.
23 fouls Grimsby committed and those were just the ones he gave. If that’s not persistent fouling what is? However only two bookings for them and three for us.

Thought MM set us up to not be beaten, with anything more than a draw being a bonus. We managed to get a good amount of crosses in the box, but Akinola was never going to head one home due to his size against their centre backs.

Think if we were mid-table and weren’t playing our closest relegation rivals, MM might have gone 4-4-2 and pushed RHF up front, or brought on Acquah. No complaints though, thought he got this one right.

Was the wrong starting lineup for me! Same situation as the borient game!! Kyle taylor should have started he is our play maker and brings pace to the midfield! I'm not buying all this hes been injured or covid.how old is he? Exactley!! He was diagnosed with covid 4 weeks so done his isolation time and he must have been fit by now! Poor selection from mm today has cost us but I would always take a point away from home and beat the others at fortress football.

Posts like this make me lose faith in humanity.

Have to take positives out of that, a clean sheet and a point on the road is not to be sniffed at, but can't help thinking the game was there for us to win but we lacked a cutting edge in the final third. ANG and Reeco looked dangerous when out wide but too much of the play went down the middle. We urgently need to bring in another striker as Sim cant do that job up top on his own

Negatives, the ref awful, pitch even worse which didn't help our play and again JDs free kicks and corners, dreadful. The corner second half that he played straight to their guy, oh dear

Don't think anyone played badly but no one really played well. Again Hobson and White were solid, Elvis and Hart likewise. Prob the pick of the rest was Reeco who tried to make things happen when he got the ball

So not a great day but not a bad one either

Would like to see Taylor and Macca start on Tuesday and if no striker is signed put Dieng up top with Akinola

Who would you drop?

I'll be happy to get out of there with a point as long as we have avoided any long term injuries. They were **** and all they had in the locker was a cheap foul and we got no protection from the referee. But that was a massive 6 pointer and I cant help but feel that's a huge missed opportunity today

First 25 minutes we were on the front foot but didnt really create that clear cut chance. after that just turned into scrappy game. Grimsby tactics were to foul us every time we had the ball and sit back play for draw. Ref was ****e, hardly booked any of their players and didn't play advantage when we were attacking. Shame that chance for ang at the end didn't go in as I thought were just shaded it. Point on the road not bad result considering the ref was shocking and the pitch for that matter to! We move onto fortress roots hall.

Was the wrong starting lineup for me! Same situation as the borient game!! Kyle taylor should have started he is our play maker and brings pace to the midfield! I'm not buying all this hes been injured or covid.how old is he? Exactley!! He was diagnosed with covid 4 weeks so done his isolation time and he must have been fit by now! Poor selection from mm today has cost us but I would always take a point away from home and beat the others at fortress football.

I wouldn't have risked Taylor on that pitch today. I'm sure he will start or be involved against Cambridge.

Awful pitch. Awful ref. Awful opponents.

I thought we managed the situation pretty well. Quite often, we looked like the home team on the front foot with more ability. There was no way this was going to be pretty.

At least we have another point on the board and 2 game in hand on Grimsby and a game in hand on Scunny and Barrow.

I liked the way the commentator was on first name terms with our right back. Bwomono was obviously too much for him.

Thought we played quite well on an awful pitch and with a poor ref.
Having said that Grimsby are poor and I’m confident we will accumulate more points than them.
Going to go against the majority here though as I’m not convinced with ANG.
No doubt he is skilful, none at all.
But for me he holds the ball too long sometimes and makes an attack falter and also makes the wrong choice when he does pass.
But he’s young and will learn

Two sides with the attacking threat of a ham sandwich.
But something seasoned pros should note. If the ref is having a poor game - he probably knows it.
Getting in his face constantly isn't going to work: that's you Demi and Macca.
All that's being achieved is when we meet Mr Toner again, he's going to have an agenda, or he's going to give us loads of fouls we may not deserve.
Which is the more likely?

Back