• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 0-0 Southend United

Awful pitch. Awful ref. Awful opponents.

I thought we managed the situation pretty well. Quite often, we looked like the home team on the front foot with more ability. There was no way this was going to be pretty.

At least we have another point on the board and 2 game in hand on Grimsby and a game in hand on Scunny and Barrow.

I liked the way the commentator was on first name terms with our right back. Bwomono was obviously too much for him.

Ha! I liked the Return to Sender and You're always on my mind gags too.:Smile:

Last edited:
Awful pitch. Awful ref. Awful opponents.

I thought we managed the situation pretty well. Quite often, we looked like the home team on the front foot with more ability. There was no way this was going to be pretty.

At least we have another point on the board and 2 game in hand on Grimsby and a game in hand on Scunny and Barrow.

I liked the way the commentator was on first name terms with our right back. Bwomono was obviously too much for him.

‘Bawonomo’ became ‘Elvis’ pretty quickly ?

I'm a big fan of John White, but I think the Captains role should be to keep the players disciplined on the field of play. I know how difficult it can be, but we really don't need suspensions to key players in the latter stages of the season.

Think I realised that if we didn't get a goal first half the game would end a draw due to the affect of the strength sapping pitch on our more skilfull players.
Apart from a couple of poor set pieces (we had a lot!) I felt in the whole the deliveries were very good and the early on variations to try to catch them out and pinch a quick goal was a good tactic.
Interesting that cp noted lots of swearing from the ref who then booked white for presumably abusive language. I though Ben, snowflake, who did that, toner was truly shocking in game management. There player threw the ball 30 yrs off the pitch and got nothing, JD taps it away with seconds left and gets a yellow.
In hindsight I'm happy at my disappointment with the draw. On a better pitch we won that game. Hopefully other pitches won't be that bad. I
I liked our 4-1-4-1 set up until the loss of oli upset our rhythm and shape. Fair play to their team for causing that. There are times we need to do that and I'm not sure as a team we can yet.
Horrible conditions, terrible pitch, clean sheet, and another opposition that should be under us come season end.
All 7s for me, but for energy, organising, tackles, leadership, possession and stamina JD pinches MOM.

I'm a big fan of John White, but I think the Captains role should be to keep the players disciplined on the field of play. I know how difficult it can be, but we really don't need suspensions to key players in the latter stages of the season.

Yes but the Captain ought to be able to talk to the referee. Every time we broke they fouled us - 23 times altogether for just 2 cards and Olayinka is crocked.

To be honest where we are in the League and given who we were playing - that feels like a defeat - 3 points Tuesday a must

23 fouls were a disgrace. Unless their new manager is a miracle worker Grimsby are down. Watching on IFollow is definitely not good for my health. My stomach is all knotted up, I thought Grimsby were bound to get a breakaway goal, totally undeserved of course. I thought we were OK today. Dictated the match but rarely looked like scoring. We've got a lot of skilful youngsters. But we do need a consistent striker. But all teams do. MM has got to be the coolest bloke in the world.

Yes but the Captain ought to be able to talk to the referee. Every time we broke they fouled us - 23 times altogether for just 2 cards and Olayinka is crocked.

Yes, but he's got to keep his cool. If it's one of those refs that refuses to talk, they've got to learn to deal with it.

Having gone so long without keeping a clean sheet it is great that we brush this goal less draw off so matter of factly. However it is clear that before the end of this month we need to solve our problem in scoring goals. From our 22 games so far we have scored 14. Next lowest team is Stevenage with 16 (from one game fewer). The rest of the league are Sort this problem and we'll be fine.....

Two sides with the attacking threat of a ham sandwich.
But something seasoned pros should note. If the ref is having a poor game - he probably knows it.
Getting in his face constantly isn't going to work: that's you Demi and Macca.
All that's being achieved is when we meet Mr Toner again, he's going to have an agenda, or he's going to give us loads of fouls we may not deserve.
Which is the more likely?

The alternative would be to let them kick us off the park and leave us short of players for the important 3 home games......That embarrassing excuse of a ref was never going to protect our players so well done JW and Macca. At least their actions made Grimsby think twice.

That one on the far side against ANG would have been no complaints from Nobby Stiles. Plus lifting sneaky studs up etc. I doubt Olay will be playing Tuesday and that was definitely the time for a card. Ref can have no complaints about our complaints.

The alternative would be to let them kick us off the park and leave us short of players for the important 3 home games......That embarrassing excuse of a ref was never going to protect our players so well done JW and Macca. At least their actions made Grimsby think twice.

That one on the far side against ANG would have been no complaints from Nobby Stiles. Plus lifting sneaky studs up etc. I doubt Olay will be playing Tuesday and that was definitely the time for a card. Ref can have no complaints about our complaints.
Nice work from Macca rubbing sand in their players hair as well

Back