• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 0-0 Southend United

It's another clean sheet, another game we've managed to pick up something from but on another day on another surface that would have been so different.

Really like ANG and RHF on the wings as both are tricky and look to create something every time they are on the ball. I though Oxley looked confident as well and claimed a fair few crosses that he might have opted to punch previously. Hobson and White were solid and thought Demi had a really good game, making a number of vital slide tackles when they looked to break.

I hope their number 10 recovers soon. It looked really nasty given his reaction to a tap on the shin pad. Funnily enough on their match forum, page 9, they clearly think he is a bellend.

I would agree if the yellows were due to him being combative.. but most of them are for dissent... Unprofessional behaviour
Definitely a fair point. But the macca comparison is still valid and the senior players feel it's on them to sway the ref. He does it too much maybe in some people eyes. (Especially the refs eyes)

Fair enough, didn’t notice it myself. I’m not saying ref was great, just didn’t think he was that bad.
He was utterly shocking. Refusing to communicate with the players other than to regularly swear at them apparently. However, equally shocking for both sides. But it killed the game with the non-stop fouling that he was way to weak to stop.

On the positive side we are so so much better defensively, organisationally. We are now hard to beet. They dandy have a serious effort on goal and all the real opportunities to win the game came our way.

We are now getting plenty of decent balls into the box- BBC would be having a goalfest..

Twice in the pre-match thread I typed posts saying for me this is our must important game of our season but I thought it seemed to exaggerated but it could have been a pivotal game. We could have come off the bottom, two points ahead of Grimsby with two games in hand... Over the last few weeks we've been sayings it shows how far we've come, and that's absolutely true but a win here wouldn't resulted in a representation and reward of that and I would be saying we've taken our initiative back [not that it isn't in our hands still but you know what I mean. Now it's another few weeks possibly of being the bottom club...

*I couldn't listen to the whole game so fill in the blanks if I miss something or get something wrong* but I thought Olayinka for Macca was a slightly negative decision. I thought for sure Taylor would come on and be that bit of creativity. I guess Dieng played in Olayinka's role.

Someone said in the match thread about Hart being suspect. I don't recall Akinola having the busiest of games. When I read that post I thought yeah, I'd being on Clifford, move Hart to LM and played 4-4-2 so Akinola could partner with RHF. But we only made one sub? Odd...

I wouldn't have risked Taylor on that pitch today. I'm sure he will start or be involved against Cambridge.
Let's be honest if your picking certain players for certain pitches then when will they play? Most if not all pitches in league 2 are bogs!! Ours is possibley the best in the league.

Twice in the pre-match thread I typed posts saying for me this is our must important game of our season but I thought it seemed to exaggerated but it could have been a pivotal game. We could have come off the bottom, two points ahead of Grimsby with two games in hand... Over the last few weeks we've been sayings it shows how far we've come, and that's absolutely true but a win here wouldn't resulted in a representation and reward of that and I would be saying we've taken our initiative back [not that it isn't in our hands still but you know what I mean. Now it's another few weeks possibly of being the bottom club...

*I couldn't listen to the whole game so fill in the blanks if I miss something or get something wrong* but I thought Olayinka for Macca was a slightly negative decision. I thought for sure Taylor would come on and be that bit of creativity. I guess Dieng played in Olayinka's role.

Someone said in the match thread about Hart being suspect. I don't recall Akinola having the busiest of games. When I read that post I thought yeah, I'd being on Clifford, move Hart to LM and played 4-4-2 so Akinola could partner with RHF. But we only made one sub? Odd...

I have a feeling it was a very heavy pitch and with quite a few matches coming up MM didn’t want to risk any more players than he needed to.

My only worry with Taylor is nothing to do with his skills as a player. I think he's creative and is so comfortable on the ball.
My concern is whether he can cope with the physical demand of league 2 football. He was struggling with recovery from games physically before covid which has meant not training as well as recovering from any affects from it.
I was surprised he made the trip today as he can't be anywhere near able to do 90 mins or even starting.
I want him to be a regular because he makes a huge difference and works well in the middle with JD or Macca.

I have a feeling it was a very heavy pitch and with quite a few matches coming up MM didn’t want to risk any more players than he needed to.

Exactly! By that reckoning you've got 9 players [not counting Oxley] that played a full 90 on that pitch... With the exception of CM and LB, although there's options this team kind of picks itself. I can see games like vs Orient repeating themselves.

The alternative would be to let them kick us off the park and leave us short of players for the important 3 home games......That embarrassing excuse of a ref was never going to protect our players so well done JW and Macca. At least their actions made Grimsby think twice.

That one on the far side against ANG would have been no complaints from Nobby Stiles. Plus lifting sneaky studs up etc. I doubt Olay will be playing Tuesday and that was definitely the time for a card. Ref can have no complaints about our complaints.
But that's where your wrong.
He DID have complaints, and booked White and McCormack as a result because he can.
One late tackle from either and we would have lost a player for Tuesday.
I'm not defending the ref, who was poor.
I'm saying that constantly arguing with a buffoon like that is counter productive.
You really think it made Grimsby think twice?

Apologies if this has been covered but does anyone know why Walsh and Egbri aren’t in the squad ?
Illness , injury ?

Apologies if this has been covered but does anyone know why Walsh and Egbri aren’t in the squad ?
Illness , injury ?
Egbri missed out last week with injury so assume it’s the same again this week. Not sure on Walsh.

Egbri missed out last week with injury so assume it’s the same again this week. Not sure on Walsh.

Cheers - guess with ANG and RHF doing well out wide , they both might struggle to get in the side for a while.
Egbri was starting to grow ( no pun intended ) so hope it doesn’t knock his confidence

Grimsby got away with a hell of a lot thanks to a very poor ref. They deserved nothing. Just trying to injure our best players throughout the match. Well impressed with ANG and Reeco and Olayinka before he got assaulted. The defence was really good, and hardly gave them a sniff. Oxley looked very confident with the little he had to do. Just a cutting edge missing today as Akinola looked a bit knackered. Don't forget, he was out of the game for a long time. Might need a one game rest.
I like Reeco and he looks useful but I thought Grimsby sorted him out pretty well on the wing. He is so left footed that they just kept forcing him on to his right where he was less effective. The defence has tightened up and we play some nice football in midfield but we desperately need someone who can put our chances away.

Back