• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 0-0 Southend United

So sack him and replace him with someone from the huge pool of competent referees available to L2 of the EFL. Every week the standard of referee is poor. It won’t improve until more fit young people fancy taking it up ? But why would they ? Who needs that.

Everyone will have a different view. To me lesser referees may make mistakes, due to their positioning, ability to read or understand the game etc etc. There are bound to be fouls missed and given incorrectly in every game. Let's face VAR even seems to get it wrong on occasion. Theses things even out and i find it easier to forgive as should we all. This is where most referees at L2 level sit.

What is less easy to understand is referees at EFL level who make mistakes because they are seriously out of shape and can't keep up with play, and referees like on Sat, who don't make individual mistakes but systematic ones- i.e. routinely allowing endless cynical fouling, allowing players to get injured in the process, and generally being not able to control the game. A good window into his mindset on Sat was that he refused to communicate with the players, even the captain John White, and repeatedly swore at them. That is the sign of someone who knows he is out of his depth unfortunately. Maybe it was a bad day at the office (after all who of us monitors the performance of referees other than when they are officiating our games).

Just to elaborate on the post I wrote immediately after the conclusion of the game. We played Grimsby at home on the 15th of December, just thirty two days before yesterday's fixture. We won 3-1. Of interest to me was that we took a early lead in that game (3rd minute) but then were subjected to a great deal of pressure by the opposition who played some decent football. They were rewarded by a goal late in the first half to leave the scores level at half time.
In the second half we enjoyed the 'rub of the green' and managed to score twice without reply leaving us 3-1 winners. Many would agree with me that the score slightly flattered us but so wretched has our luck been during the last two seasons that no one wanted to dwell on this as we were just so relieved to win two consecutive games at home. According to the stats that night we only had thirty six percent of the possession and four shots to their ten. Yesterday we had eight shots to their three.
And while some may debate on here on who was the MOM and how effective individual players were I have not seen any post questioning the commitment and/or desire of any player.
Yesterday most would agree we did not enjoy much in the way of luck, but, even though we were playing away from home, this time we had fifty three percent of the possession. At Southend Grimsby tried to play football against us, and, indeed, caused us all sorts of problems when doing so. At home they never tried to piece together moves but instead settled on a game plan cynically designed to try and stop us playing and relying on permissive refereeing to help bring their plan to fruition.
Unlike the first fixture we looked physically stronger, more skilful and organised than them. In fact, we looked several league positions better than them. We looked like a team with self belief, and, one that is going places.
In just under five weeks the turn around has been quite amazing. In that time some players have improved out of sight, but, collectively the progress of the team has been even greater.
Yes I know it was an awful game yesterday and we did not score. But the main reason it was awful was that Grimsby's ambition never went beyond trying to stop us from playing.
My main take out from what I saw on IFollow yesterday was not that we need a target man or seldom threatened to score, but, that the opposition FEARED us yesterday and played as if they accepted we were the better side. That was NOT their attitude at Roots Hall in December.
If we can maintain this level of performance we will survive even with this group of players. But our squad still looks a little thin in places and anything done to strengthen it will be welcome.
Excellent post and also what I had been thinking. Maybe that's why many were so disappointed with the result in the belief that we were the better team and deserved more reward.

I've no idea why but 'Arthur Mccormack' conjures up a peaky blinders image in my mind!!!
I can imagine macca strolling on the pitch with hidden razors in his flat cap
It amazes me that commentators like those at Grimsby and Orient get the gig.
A slip of the tongue can happen to anyone, but to consistently get a name wrong when it's staring at you from the team-sheet is beyond poor.
Compare to the commentary on Sky and the BBC where every stat known to man about every player is available to hand.
Yes, we're not talking the same resources, but they had a week to prepare.
There was a moment where the main man chided the co-commentator for using 'knackered'.
'You mean tired?' he snapped back.
A pity he didn't pull him with 'what's it all about, Alfie?'

A slip of the tongue can happen to anyone, but to consistently get a name wrong when it's staring at you from the team-sheet is beyond poor.
Compare to the commentary on Sky and the BBC where every stat known to man about every player is available to hand.
There was a moment where the main man chided the co-commentator for using 'knackered'.

Is it just for the moment we live?

Excellent post and also what I had been thinking. Maybe that's why many were so disappointed with the result in the belief that we were the better team and deserved more reward.
Yes understood but I would contend if we continue playing in this fashion and improving we will reap the rewards in the long term despite having to deal with the odd setback. That is the hope at least, After all, Man U did go on to win some trophies even after falling to the Mighty Blues!

This is true, but how do we know that BBC Essex commentators get all the away teams names and pronunciations correct?

This is true, but how do we know that BBC Essex commentators get all the away teams names and pronunciations correct?

They don't always get the Southend names correct. They don’t have a screen, have a few stanchions in front of them, and do struggle with Emile Heskey.

I didn't see the game or the pitch on Saturday. But was Blundell Park as bad as this?
ManCity_Jan1956.jpg

Then do what I did on Saturday. Watch the game without a commentary. After all, you do that when you go to the game. It made quite a refreshing change. All I could hear instead was our bench constantly bellowing "Reeco do this, Reeco do that", and the constant backchat between Messrs Demetriou, White, McCormack and Toner.

I still have one criticism of IFollow however, something which sooner or later will bite them on the bum.
WHY show so many replays of insignificant pieces of play, and more importantly, if you must show them, WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A BREAK IN PLAY. What price on them missing a live goal this season? Quite likely, methinks.

Then do what I did on Saturday. Watch the game without a commentary. After all, you do that when you go to the game. It made quite a refreshing change. All I could hear instead was our bench constantly bellowing "Reeco do this, Reeco do that", and the constant backchat between Messrs Demetriou, White, McCormack and Toner.

I still have one criticism of IFollow however, something which sooner or later will bite them on the bum.
WHY show so many replays of insignificant pieces of play, and more importantly, if you must show them, WAIT UNTIL THERE IS A BREAK IN PLAY. What price on them missing a live goal this season? Quite likely, methinks.
The need to run replays has been becoming more and more frequent this season, obviously an overly pedantic editor.

The second point on replays is well met.
The reason I listened to the only commentary available is they often comments on things not followed by the camera.
Secondly, I do like to know who on the other side is doing this and that.
And thirdly, I do listen to the commentary at Roots Hall via an ear piece and a small radio.
Don't as me why or how, but it adds to the game somehow.

Back