• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Grimsby Town 0-0 Southend United

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Disappointing not to get more from the game, but a point is better than nothing, and we still have two games in hand over Grimsby.

We’re very much in the mix still and there’s a long way to go yet, so we shouldn’t be too disheartened.

A few mentions; the ref was terrible, the pitch was worse, but on the bright side, the fish puns in the match thread kept me entertained for a while. I put my heart and sole into them.

Over to you....

Thought that was a really strong performance without carving out too many clear cut opportunities. Can’t remember many games where we have had more possession than the opponents, home or away!

Good performances all over. RHF and ANG looked threatening, though JD was everywhere, Hobson and White put in real no nonsense performances too.

Poor game that neither side deserved to win. 0-0 a fair result. ANG standout player for me. We still look really weak defensively down the left side, that needs to be addressed somehow. Apart from a couple of well worked short corners the set pieces were pretty shocking today. Hopefully we can get Clifford back in the side and have someone that can consistently provide a decent delivery

Referee was awful. No major decisions to make but still managed to make it all about him. What a ****.

Draw leaves us in a fairly decent position. A point behind Grimsby with 2 games in hand. A point behind Stevenage (they do have a game in hand though) 3 points behind Barrow and Scunthorpe with a game in hand. A long way to go but getting a minimum of 1 point today was essential to keep us in the mix and we’ve achieved that. No reason to complain about the result.

Eh.

On one hand, I'm just delighted to see us competeing. I don't think we ever looked in danger of conceding today and the change in our defensive solidity should be commended.

On the other hand, we have a foundation in place now and I want to see us pushing on. We need to be better than today if we're going to get out of this mess. Grimsby are probably the worst team I've seen this season and we really should have punished them today.

I really, really hope there will be some decisive incoming transfer activity next week. We need to get a serious shift on now. More creativity and more goal-scoring threat right at the top of the list.

Our set pieces need to be better.

Referee and pitch both ****s.

I’ll take that. An awful game and an awful ref but we battled through and emerged with a point and a clean sheet. We’re now on 20 points. We will play better, if only we had that elusive goalscorer (hurry up and arrive!) we could’ve nicked that. We are looking capable of giving anyone a game in this league, we’ve arrived. Not disheartened.

Bossed first half not so hot second, set pieces were very poor. That was a game we needed to win. How we ended up with more yellow cards than them will remain a complete mystery. I do not wish them well.

Oxley - Spectator most of the match.
Elvis - Decent
Hobson - my MOM
White - Quite good but booked for too much bleating.
Hart - Solid
Oliyanka - Was looking lively until that unfortunate injury.
Dieng - Not bad
Demi Ditto
Reeco - Looked dangerous first half - hampered by boggy side of the pitch second.
ANG - great first half, not so second.
Akinola - Roughed up a bit but kept going, glimpses of hold up play and getting in behind.
Macca - his kind of game - also booked for verbals/protesting.

Light years ahead of even six weeks ago, and, I thought in some ways a better performance than when we beat Grimsby at home 3-1. We dominated them, and, looked like a proper football team. It was unfortunate we did not score but it may have been one of those days. If we maintain that level of performance until the end of the season we will stay in the league.

Last edited:
Thought that was a really strong performance without carving out too many clear cut opportunities. Can’t remember many games where we have had more possession than the opponents, home or away!

Good performances all over. RHF and ANG looked threatening, though JD was everywhere, Hobson and White put in real no nonsense performances too.

Thought it was an awful watch.Reminded me how dire 4th division (L2) football really is.Don't think we reallly deserved more than a point.

A point on the road when you're bottom of the league should usually be welcomed but today we absolutely have dropped two points. Grimsby offered nothing, the fact they are happy (the home commentators were saying as much, even at half time) with a point at home tells you all you need to know about them. They continuously kicked our players and the referee did sod all about it and allowed it to happen all game long. The fact he ended the game with more booking than them is an absolute joke.

The performance itself, it wasn't pretty but it was never going to be with the state of that pitch. However, I thought we looked comfortable throughout the whole game and I was never really afraid of Grimsby nicking a goal. Our ability to deliver a set piece is concerning though. I liked that we tried different things and the short corners at first worked good openings for us but Grimsby quickly wised up to that and we made it easy for them by continuing to try it again and again. I thought Reeco looked sharp again on a heavy pitch and ANG looked a threat when he come inside. Hopefully Olayinka isn't to badly injured as well.

On reflection, it's another point to add to the board. With three home games coming up now, if we can pick up 7 points from them we'll find ourselves out of the bottom two. I certainly still believe we can do it.

Thought it was an awful watch.Reminded me how dire 4th division (L2) football really is.Don't think we reallly deserved more than a point.
Agree with that.

Annoyingly that was the sort of game we could have done with greg halford up front.

For me we miss that drive that kyle taylor brings, and our two strikers seem more like wingers.

But, we didnt lose. Quickly sweep this one under the carpet and move on...

Was absolutely desperate for the win and thought if any side deserved it, it was us. But happy with the point. Dropping points in general wouldn’t have been the end of the world, but handing Grimsby all three would’ve been a disaster.

Another game unbeaten, another clean sheet and another point on the board. Can’t complain at that. Onwards and upwards.

Grimsby got away with a hell of a lot thanks to a very poor ref. They deserved nothing. Just trying to injure our best players throughout the match. Well impressed with ANG and Reeco and Olayinka before he got assaulted. The defence was really good, and hardly gave them a sniff. Oxley looked very confident with the little he had to do. Just a cutting edge missing today as Akinola looked a bit knackered. Don't forget, he was out of the game for a long time. Might need a one game rest.

Have to take positives out of that, a clean sheet and a point on the road is not to be sniffed at, but can't help thinking the game was there for us to win but we lacked a cutting edge in the final third. ANG and Reeco looked dangerous when out wide but too much of the play went down the middle. We urgently need to bring in another striker as Sim cant do that job up top on his own

Negatives, the ref awful, pitch even worse which didn't help our play and again JDs free kicks and corners, dreadful. The corner second half that he played straight to their guy, oh dear

Don't think anyone played badly but no one really played well. Again Hobson and White were solid, Elvis and Hart likewise. Prob the pick of the rest was Reeco who tried to make things happen when he got the ball

So not a great day but not a bad one either

Would like to see Taylor and Macca start on Tuesday and if no striker is signed put Dieng up top with Akinola

Back