• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Grimsby Town v Southend United, Saturday 16th January, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 80 86.0%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 77 82.8%
  • John White

Votes: 78 83.9%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 82 88.2%
  • Sam Hart

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

• James Olayinka

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 75 80.6%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 79 84.9%
  • Emile Acquah

• Richard Taylor

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

• Harry Kyprianou

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Win

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Subs:
Seadon / Clifford / Kyprianou / Macca / JD / Egbri / Walsh

I saw this name there in your post and I think down the left we were suspect last week between Hobson not being comfortable having to come out to the left and Hart being more attacking... I love Hart, I wanted him to sign but his not the most steady defender, he'll make up for something like being caught out of position with a great tackle but its not very reassuring. I don't know how long Clifford is going to be out for but it would be good in my opinion if we could have Kyprianou at the ready in LB, and have Hart LM like his debut.

Not sure where HK has been. He played earlier in the season, and I don't remember him doing particularly bad.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed the game goes ahead as we need to keep the momentum going.However if there is any doubt that it could be called off due to poor pitch so be it.Wont be buying the ifollow pass until its confirmed

Absolute must win imo. Seems most teams are crap in this league so not scared of anyone but its imperative we take points off the people around us.

As mentioned attack and defence is quite straight forward. And leaves MM to tinker with the midfield, then change it at half time.

UTB

Our record is cack at Grimsby, so we need to end our 33 years wait for a away win at Grimsby if we want to get out of the bottom 2!

I would probably go for:

Oxley
Elvis, White, Hobson, Hart
RHF, Demetriou, Dieng, Olayinka, ANG
Akinola​

Don‘t think Clifford, Egbri or Taylor will be fit enough to start if they’re back, so wouldn’t put them straight in. We can luckily still field a strong team without them so no need to rush them back. Harsh to leave Macca out but think it’s better to manage his games a bit rather than burn him out. Bringing him on as a sub is a great option to see out a result, or to sit back and let others get forward if we’re behind.

I would probably go for:

Oxley
Akinola​

Don‘t think Clifford, Egbri or Taylor will be fit enough to start if they’re back, so wouldn’t put them straight in. We can luckily still field a strong team without them so no need to rush them back. Harsh to leave Macca out but think it’s better to manage his games a bit rather than burn him out. Bringing him on as a sub is a great option to see out a result, or to sit back and let others get forward if we’re behind.
I’m with you on this and probably the strongest bench in quite some time.

I would probably go for:

Oxley
Akinola​

Can’t argue with that logic and agree Macca is not a bad option off the bench if we need to add a bit of steel to the midfield or protect a 1-0 lead. Hopefully he won’t be needed and we keep him fresh. I’m waiting for Demi to need a rest but he’s still looking good for 90 mins most games, not bad considering some thought he might only play every other game. I’m actually looking forward to seeing Tim Dieng play in midfield .. never thought I’d utter those words.

We still need a big bad Barry Corr type striker on our bench at least, hopefully we get one in, if not, for Bradford game.

The pitch will be heavy and with the weather due to be sleet on Saturday, this is a day to grind out a result rather than for pretty football. I'd be tempted to go for experience over youth, and defence over attack. Therefore I'd go for:

Oxley

Bwomono White Hobson Clifford

Demi Macca Dieng Hart

Hackett-Fairchild Akinola

Subs: Seaden, Kyprianou, K Taylor, R Taylor, Olayinka, ANG, Acquah​

Same formation as last week with Lynch coming in for Holford?
Would it not be in character with the way the present management seem to operate if he was either to start or be on the bench Saturday?
It has all gone very quiet in respect of Lynch. Could it mean something is about to happen?

In some of the posts no mention is made of Louis Walsh. But he has been on the bench regularly. He is in danger of being the forgotten man by fans. We are certainly well served by wide players.

Back