• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Grimsby Town v Southend United, Saturday 16th January, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 80 86.0%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 77 82.8%
  • John White

Votes: 78 83.9%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 82 88.2%
  • Sam Hart

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

• James Olayinka

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 75 80.6%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 79 84.9%
  • Emile Acquah

• Richard Taylor

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

• Harry Kyprianou

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Win

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Absolute must win imo. Seems most teams are crap in this league so not scared of anyone but its imperative we take points off the people around us.

As mentioned attack and defence is quite straight forward. And leaves MM to tinker with the midfield, then change it at half time.

UTB

I'm glad someone hasn't let me down! I've just looked through this thread to see if anyone had made that comment.

To me the only time a game is must win, is when we will be relegated if we don't. This is not a must win game. It would be really great to win it, but it's far from must win. Hopefully the players won't see it that way otherwise they may put themselves under unnecessary pressure.

I'm glad someone hasn't let me down! I've just looked through this thread to see if anyone had made that comment.

To me the only time a game is must win, is when we will be relegated if we don't. This is not a must win game. It would be really great to win it, but it's far from must win. Hopefully the players won't see it that way otherwise they may put themselves under unnecessary pressure.
Lol, well to me its a must win. We just need to get above two teams. Grimsby are one of them imo.

if we lose we will still be bottom and 4 points off them. Dont see how it isnt a must win. Its unlikely we will continue this good run of form for the remainder of the season, bound to have a wobble, so we must capitalise now.

Im sure the players understand the position they are in. They have been under pressure from the first loss, thankfully now we finally seem to have a squad that is rising to it and not just virtually throwing in the towel.

Last edited:
Totally. We need to smash these mugs and doom them to one of the relegation spots

I hear ya. I suppose the way I’m looking at it is we have two games in hand over them, so I don’t see a draw being the end of the world. Obviously a win would be excellent for our ongoing form & morale though.

Of their 11 home league games so far, they’ve W2 D3 L6

Of our 10 away league games so far, we’ve W1 D3 L6

Going on those stats, it’s got draw written all over it, hasn’t it?

Fingers crossed that our recent run of good form and their run of **** form, works in our favour.

if we lose we will still be bottom and 4 points off them. Dont see how it isnt a must win.

We’d still have two games in hand over them, which means destiny would still be in our own hands.... although I fully agree with your point below...

Its unlikely we will continue this good run of form for the remainder of the season, bound to have a wobble, so we must capitalise now.

So although though I don’t necessarily see this as ‘must win’, there’s no denying that it’s a perfect opportunity to capitalise. There’s no doubt a win will galvanise us & demoralise Grimsby.

Lol, well to me its a must win. We just need to get above two teams. Grimsby are one of them imo.

if we lose we will still be bottom and 4 points off them. Dont see how it isnt a must win. Its unlikely we will continue this good run of form for the remainder of the season, bound to have a wobble, so we must capitalise now.

Im sure the players understand the position they are in. They have been under pressure from the first loss, thankfully now we finally seem to have a squad that is rising to it and not just virtually throwing in the towel.

Because there's still more than half the season to go.

Don't get me wrong, a win would be great, especially as it means we'd be off bottom and probably out of the relegation zone. But it's not as if we haven't got time to make amends should the worst happen. Don't also forget we have games in hand too.

As for our run not continuing. We lost to Orient but managed to to win our next match.

A draw would leave us a point behind Grimsby with 2 games in hand. Scunthorpe and Barrow play each other so at least one them will drop points. A draw would leave us within touching distance of at least one of them with a game in hand. It is in no way a must win game. A draw would be a good result.

Mr London ,u r partly by the letter of the law ,but u should want to win every game ( I know we wont ) but if we beat the teams around us ,we have a much bigger chance of avoiding being in the bottom 2. At the same time dragging more people into the danger zone .U must remain positive young man as my hero Brian Clough would say !????????????????

Mr London ,u r partly by the letter of the law ,but u should want to win every game ( I know we wont ) but if we beat the teams around us ,we have a much bigger chance of avoiding being in the bottom 2. At the same time dragging more people into the danger zone .U must remain positive young man as my hero Brian Clough would say !????????????????
Edit right by the letter ,sorry getting too exited by the prospect of a win!

I do want to win every game. I even think we will win tomorrow. I'm even contemplating paying to be let down by iFollow.

However, none of that makes the game a "must win". It just makes it a "want to win", and an "expect to win".

Just an observation but in recent polls only 88% of fans want to see Oxley in goal and 1% want to see Seaden.
Does that mean 11% of fans want us to play without a goalkeeper? ??

Because there's still more than half the season to go.

Don't get me wrong, a win would be great, especially as it means we'd be off bottom and probably out of the relegation zone. But it's not as if we haven't got time to make amends should the worst happen. Don't also forget we have games in hand too.

As for our run not continuing. We lost to Orient but managed to to win our next match.
Yes hopefully your right.

Perhaps Im just unable to be fully sensible about all this until we are out of the non league relegation zone. Keeping a scrutinous eye on the foot of the table beating barrow, and then grimsby were essentials to me in terms of reducing our deficit and robbing points off our main rivals.

Before we know it we will be running out of games.

Last edited:
I will be amazed if it goes ahead, but fingers crossed.
I'm a bit more optimistic, it should remain dry there today which will give a chance for any standing water to dissipate and the ground staff to work on the pitch. It looks like there may be some heavy snow for an hour or so mid morning, but not for long and it will be followed by mainly sleet or rain.

With temperatures staying above freezing and a chance for ground staff to clear the lines before the game kicks off, I reckon we'll be OK if the current forecast plays out. There doesn't seem to be any talk of possible postponement in the local press.

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.53.45.png

I'm a bit more optimistic, it should remain dry there today which will give a chance for any standing water to dissipate and the ground staff to work on the pitch. It looks like there may be some heavy snow for an hour or so mid morning, but not for long and it will be followed by mainly sleet or rain.

With temperatures staying above freezing and a chance for ground staff to clear the lines before the game kicks off, I reckon we'll be OK if the current forecast plays out. There doesn't seem to be any talk of possible postponement in the local press.

View attachment 13995
PS I put Cleethorpes into the metoffice website as, for those who haven't been, that's where Blundell Park is, not in Grimsby. Although in reality that's like saying somewhere is in Shoeburyness, not in Southend!

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.58.54.png

Back