• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Grimsby Town v Southend United, Saturday 16th January, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 80 86.0%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 77 82.8%
  • John White

Votes: 78 83.9%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 82 88.2%
  • Sam Hart

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

• James Olayinka

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 75 80.6%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 79 84.9%
  • Emile Acquah

• Richard Taylor

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

• Harry Kyprianou

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Win

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Buoyed by the gritty 1-0 home win against the Barrow boys, Mark Molesley takes the team up to Cleethorpes to play another struggling side in Grimsby Town.

Having recently beaten the North East Lincolnshire side 3-1 at home in mid December, this is Southend's first chance to do the double over someone this season. Since the December game, the Mariners have changed managers with Paul Hurst back for a second stint. He's made one new signing, Sam Habergham, already and told their local press he's hopeful of one or two more before Saturday. One name not featuring is our old friend Bilel Mohsni who left in November.

As for the blues, the mood in the camp must be positive after some good performances and results recently. Kyle Taylor has now signed until the end of the season and I'm sure will be pushing for a starting spot following his goal against them in December. At the time of writing we're still waiting for news on whether James Olayinka, John White and Alan McCormack will be staying longer - we also don't know about Greg Halford, but as he's suspended for Saturday that's not relevant to this thread.

So, who would you choose to start this Saturday, and what do you predict for the result?

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 11.09.14.png

The pitch will be very soft and could be a worry for either postponement, or if played injuries and silly yellow cards.

For me the team almost picks itself with most players having earned their places.

Ox

Elvis, White, Hobson, Hart

JD, Dieng, Olyanka, ANG

Hackett, Akinola

I am not sure on the midfield as, if fit them Macca is such a big player, Taylor is maybe now available, Eggbri is lively.

Who have I missed of the obvious starting possibles?

If Clifford was okay I might start him and play Hart at right midfield.

A sign of how things are changing... the defence pretty much picks itself for me, but when selecting a midfield, it's a bit of a headache. A very nice headache. When Clifford is back, the question will be whether to play him and push Hart up on the wing... but instead of who?

1st 11:
Oxley
Bwmono / Hobson / White / Hart
K Taylor / Dieng / Olayinka / ANG / Reeco
Akinola

Subs:
Seadon / Clifford / Kyprianou / Macca / JD / Egbri / Walsh

Win: 0-2

Hope it's not postponed. I see us winning this, grimsby are their for the taking! 2-0 victory in a scrappy game I would predict.

A really slippy one. Let's hope Grimsby don't play a bit like a cornered animal. I don't think our morale is so great that we can just push them aside if that's the case. Still would be a great feeling if we managed to pull ourselves out the quagmire of the relegation places.

Never forget the Grimsby pitch invaders!

Been sleeting/ snowing all morning up here in Lincolnshire today. With more rain forecast for Saturday I can't see the game going ahead. Their pitch was already very heavy looking when I saw it a couple of weeks ago

Let’s hope it’s not called off, we’re an in form team, they are on a losing streak and there’s no fans which will help us up there big time. We also want to avoid a huge fixture pile up end of season so let’s get get one okayed with at least a point on the score card.

Yes but that suggest playing Olayinka wide, and he is not good in that role.
It's harsh on Olayinka because a month or two ago he was the only threat we had but Taylor for me is a better player than him and Dieng is in great form. Maybe if we played 3-5-2 he could grab a place, although even then we'd probably want McCormack to cover the defence. He might have to settle for a place on the bench.

Maybe Grimsby won't have any new faces in for Saturday after all - this from their press conference this afternoon:

Screenshot 2021-01-14 at 14.17.21.png

Well after last week's most important game ever we get to the more important game than that and there are a few more of those to come in the next few weeks.

Having beaten Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Barrow at home and got a point at Stevenage the last thing we can afford to do is lose to them away as that would just cancel out the gain we have made.

Grimsby is not the nicest place to go to and in January with the icy wind blowing of the North Sea its probably the grimmest place to play football in England.

I was there on New Years Day 1972 with a few other intrepid supporters for our top of the table clash - we lost 4-1, and the only time I have ever felt so cold was at that match at Milton Keynes hockey stadium in 2006.

If you think our record at their near neighbours Scunthorpe is bad our record at Grimsby is even worse- played 27 Won 1 drawn 7 lost 19. Our only win was in 1987/88 in Divison 3 just after Dick Bate had been sacked, 3-1 with goals from Lee Nogan, Roy McDonagh and Martin Ling. We raced into a 3-0 lead - we stayed up Grimsby got relegated. The crowd was a mammoth 2544 so not many shrimpers will have seen us win at Grimsby.

Our record at Scunthorpe W 2 D 9 L 16 - what is it about North Lincolnshire we don’t like?

We need to pick a team with the most character and guts - it ain’t going to be pretty or easy whenever it’s played. They’ve only beaten Scunthorpe and Barrow at home. We’ve only scored 3 times away from home. 0-0 would do us nicely but won’t do my nerves much good.

Back