• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Grottiest Town/City

The Big Shrimp

Zone Photographer
Having just completed a 800+ miles trip up & around the north, I was astounded how much of a depressed dump Middlesborough is.

Both my partner & I thought this is the worst place we've seen in our travels around the country. Consider that I've been to places like Hartlepool, Manchester, Leeds, Yeovil (a surprisingly depressed place!) Swansea, Telford, Birmingham, Liverpool etc etc.

How can I justify this? Every house I saw looked tired or run down, the railway station looked like a prison. In general it looked dirty, tired & in need of flattening & starting again.

The high points? The Transporter Bridge was a novelty & an experience & Middlesbrough's Riverside stadium was a good too, especially with a ship parked directly behind the home end!

ShrimperRich
[/URL]

What I would like to know is what is the grottiest town you've been to?

There seems to be a strong correlation between rugby league and grotty towns/cities.

That said you won't find many people with kind things to say about Southend.

If we're talking Britain - Falkirk was pretty grim.
Globally, Detroit is bad and Mumbai is shocking for its slums.

Agreed. Around Columbo and Bangkok is pretty shocking but this is the third world I suppose.

When you move away from a place/town then that place can at times look/feel grim when you later return.
The wife spent a night in southend at that travel podge place in keedies and said she couldnt sleep because of the non-stop police sirens racing around at night but for me the worse place has to be london.

Back