• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Grounds you've seen the Shrimpers at...

Gremlin

Life President⭐
I was thinking the other day about how close I am getting to becoming a member of the 92 club. It seems I've been rather scuppered by thoughtless chairmen moving their clubs to new grounds in recent years however.

I expect some of you can add some wierd and wonderful outposts and memories to my short list:-

The (old) Den, Millwall - Final game of the 1991/92 season. Pitch invasion by little kids at the end.

Elm Park, Reading - Saw us a number of times here, including some high scoring games. Seem to remember Peter Taylor's last game as manager too.

Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough - also 1991/92 season. We drew 1-1. I was very drunk.

The Dell, Southampton - No, I couldn't believe that early goal either.

The Goldstone Ground, Brighton - Think we lost 3-2. All I really remember was a pitch invasion at the end and Brains getting on the pitch to thump one of their fans.

Northampton's old ground - Can't remember the name of it but what a wierd ground! I seem to recall a line of people standing behind a rope along the entire length of the pitch.

And finally, my favourite; The Baseball Ground, Derby - Scene of our famous 3-1 win under Barry Fry in what is still the best performance I've seen from a Southend side. It was made all the better by the fact that it happened at a really good old ground.

Roker park, scene of Barry Frys first game in charge what a win 4-2 i think !

Saw us play at Old show ground Sunthorpe. What a great day that was we held them for the first 9 seconds but after that things didnt go to well we lost 3-0.
Also saw us play Wimbledon at Plough lane and ground long gone and now a club long gone.

Also seen us play Bristol Rovers at Eastville as well as when they played at Bath City.

I can only think of one more to add at the moment: Stoke City's Victoria Ground. Barry Fry was manager (92/93 season?) and we beat Stoke 1-0 a few days after they'd beaten a then imperious Manchester United in the League Cup - happy days! Tommy Mooney got the goal and Keith Jones was sent off for, allegedly, calling the lino a "woman".

Blimey! More than I thought!

Roker Park (Sunderland)
Manor Ground (Oxford United)
Watling Street (Maidstone United)
Burnden Park (Bolton Wanderers)
Maine Road (Manchester City)
County Ground (Northampton Town)
Victoria Ground (Stoke City)
The Den (Millwall)
Elm Park (Reading)
Baseball Ground (Derby County)
Leeds Road (Huddersfield Town)
Goldstone Ground (Brighton & Hove Albion)
The Dell (Southampton)
New Writtle Street (Chelmsford City)

WS aka Old Ba$tard

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 04 2005,23:21)]Blimey! More than I thought!

Roker Park (Sunderland)
Manor Ground (Oxford United)
Watling Street (Maidstone United)
Burnden Park (Bolton Wanderers)
Maine Road (Manchester City)
County Ground (Northampton Town)
Victoria Ground (Stoke City)
The Den (Millwall)
Elm Park (Reading)
Baseball Ground (Derby County)
Leeds Road (Huddersfield Town)
Goldstone Ground (Brighton & Hove Albion)
The Dell (Southampton)
New Writtle Street (Chelmsford City)

WS aka Old Ba$tard

biggrin.gif
Coventry in the League Cup ?   Swansea ?  Darlington ?
Newport County,

Hull's Boothferry Park and Swansea's Vetch Field. There are probably more but i cant think of them.

... and poetically Chester and Leicester,

Walsall - Wigan  - Wimbledon

Yeovil (in cup) ?

Bradford Park Avenue

Ilford, AP Leamington (both Cup)
Wealdstone (cup)

Ah, forgot about Boothferry Park and Filbert Street - been to both of those as well, plus the old Scunthorpe ground, though I was very young at the time.

The Manor Ground, Oxford... not a place filled with happy memories, since I saw us get drubbed there 5-0.  Not pleasant. I also doubt that I would recognise Home Park, having seen us win there 2-0 back in 1992 - it has changed beyond recognition since then, from what I can make out on the cameras...

I went to that Oxford away trip. Got beaten up in Oxford city centre that night too. A truly awful day out and the beginning of the end for Whelan. Quite enjoyed singing "you've only got 7 stands" to the Oxford fans though.
Also thought half of Gillingham's ground was unrecognisable from the day we beat Brighton 2-0 there under Chipmunk.

Sorry can't add the greyhound stadium, however being an older ******* than XS, i can add.
Workington,
Barrow,
Southport,
Bradford PA
Newport Co

Plus Fellows Park, Walsall, Old Shw Ground Scunthorpe and most of the others already mentioned.

Saw us play Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park. Keith Jones scored a cracker but we went on to lose 4-1.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Oct. 05 2005,09:22)]Coventry, Leicester, Newport, Aldershot (though the conference team of a slightly different name play there)

Anyone one here see the league game at Wembley
rock.gif
Blimey, even I am not that old.
Forgot about Aldershot - good shout.

Seen Southend at Elm Park (Reading) and Highfield Road (Cov).

Also went to a game at Oxford's Manor Ground, but not to see Southend (went with an Oxford supporting mate to see them get beat 1-0 by Bradford. Thrilling.)

Filbert Street, Leicester heavy defeat 1993
Roker Park, Sunderland (the one time we lost there 0-1 in 1995
sad.gif
)
Manor Ground, Oxford 0-5 1996
Elm Park, Reading draw 1997
Highfield Rd, Coventry 0-1 1998

However all these are overshadowed by beng there on 27 Nov 1993, the ultimate performance by an SUFC team (it's already been mentioned bur it's the 3-1 win at the Baseball Ground).

I take it watching a Brighton v Southend game at Priestfield doesn't count!

Also anybody that was at Webby's grand return at the Theatre of Rust in Blackpool in 2000 will notice big changes if they are going for our game at New Year (still only 3 sides like Bournemouth used to be though).

Back