• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brighton & Hove Albion overcame many, many more obstacles than us. They first proposed The Amex years after Southend United launched (ha ha ha ha) the "new stadium". Is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. Possibly the longest running saga of any kind in the entire football pyramid.

My question to The Trust is - WHY US????

Even the Amex took over a decade to come to fruition, and that only came after Brighton had endured having the Goldstone Ground sold from under their noses, and were forced to play at Priestfield (for a spell), and ultimately the Withdean for
a number of years.

Their situation prior to their eviction from the Goldstone was worryingly similar to the situation we appear to find ourselves in at present - on a downward spiral under poor management, drowning in unsustainable debt, and with the only asset being their ground.
The difference between us and Brighton fans, is that they (at times, violently) demonstrated in their droves against the mismanagement of the Club, and ultimately forced key board members to resign, leading to the appointment of a lifelong fan (and now club legend) Dick Knight, as Chairman.

Furthermore, they faced judicial reviews and various legal challenges on their way to getting formal approval for the Amex/Falmer.

Because the other clubs have been owned or backed by people of substance who have had the wherewithal to make things happen.

Bang on the money Mick...shoving paper debt from one company to another WILL run out in time...the assets are figured as low on them all as they are all in debt..Things are constantly changing near on day by day in property and plans for them, you have to be a serious player these days with assets and money in the bank for most investors to want to take any risk...Shareholders demand results these days, up year on year or else you are deemed as, well not doing enough. You can cut staff and trim overheads only so much before it falls down, or have some money to put in. Ron does not.

Ron tries I guess to be a "player"..unfortunately he is not in this huge project. For all his pipe dreams and I do think once he did see his big plan coming together, those days are long gone.. He will be burnt up the arse very soon for trying to take the whole apple rather than spread it around when he had the chance.

Even the Amex took over a decade to come to fruition, and that only came after Brighton had endured having the Goldstone Ground sold from under their noses, and were forced to play at Priestfield (for a spell), and ultimately the Withdean for
a number of years.

Their situation prior to their eviction from the Goldstone was worryingly similar to the situation we appear to find ourselves in at present - on a downward spiral under poor management, drowning in unsustainable debt, and with the only asset being their ground.
The difference between us and Brighton fans, is that they (at times, violently) demonstrated in their droves against the mismanagement of the Club, and ultimately forced key board members to resign, leading to the appointment of a lifelong fan (and now club legend) Dick Knight, as Chairman.

Furthermore, they faced judicial reviews and various legal challenges on their way to getting formal approval for the Amex/Falmer.

Proof if needed that fan power can achieve the desired result. Not advocating violence by the way, just saying that proper, meaningful and prolonged action can work. I never get the whole "It won't achieve anything" attitude. So if you are unhappy the way something is run (that we all pay for) do you just sit there and say nothing?. It's time we as a united fanbase, grew a pair and voiced our disproval at the entire board of directors, not just Ron. It is also about time the other Directors (who are and will all be held accountable) started ruffling a few feathers and seeking a way out of this mess. There are some good guys on the board, some proper fans as well. Appreciate they are all owed significant sums of money, but realistically they won't be getting that back anytime soon (if ever) so what is holding them back from forcing the issue?....I for one would have no issue with one or all of the Directors launching a Winding Up Petition against Ron/Club to get their "investment" back, if it meant we could start afresh or with a new owner. Surely, deep down none of the Directors can be happy with how this club is being run into the ground?.....Do something chaps!....PLEASE.

To add, all this horse crap that Ron chucks in a few mill a year to keep us afloat is just that horse crap..otherwise Martin Dawn would be cash rich IT ISN'T...where does that money come from..well it does not exist, only on paper.

Go figure.

Bang on the money Mick...shoving paper debt from one company to another WILL run out in time...the assets are figured as low on them all as they are all in debt..Things are constantly changing near on day by day in property and plans for them, you have to be a serious player these days with assets and money in the bank for most investors to want to take any risk...Shareholders demand results these days, up year on year or else you are deemed as, well not doing enough. You can cut staff and trim overheads only so much before it falls down, or have some money to put in. Ron does not.

Ron tries I guess to be a "player"..unfortunately he is not in this huge project. For all his pipe dreams and I do think once he did see his big plan coming together, those days are long gone.. He will be burnt up the arse very soon for trying to take the whole apple rather than spread it around when he had the chance.

The other disappointment is that people will challenge my views on the redevelopment of Roots Hall, but, should fan ownership ever be a serious consideration, I suspect the Local Authority may be more willing to intervene and assist if they were looking at a sustainable programme of works costing circa. £5m as opposed to a behemoth like FF, which will probably cost upwards of £80m....just a thought.

The other disappointment is that people will challenge my views on the redevelopment of Roots Hall, but, should fan ownership ever be a serious consideration, I suspect the Local Authority may be more willing to intervene and assist if they were looking at a sustainable programme of works costing circa. £5m as opposed to a behemoth like FF, which will probably cost upwards of £80m....just a thought.

This is a fact Sherif. I can assure you of that.

Chairman - Ron

Directors - Michael Markscheffel, Gary Lockett, Frank Van Wezel, Geoffrey King, Steve Kavanagh & Danny Macklin

BP badge please.:smiles:

Most are owed big money they lent to RM over the years on promises...There are sitting on the fence, fingers crossed hoping to get some back.

This is a fact Sherif. I can assure you of that.

Indeed - don't believe that SBC are this draconian organisation who has been holding the club to ransom/halting progress - more likely relations have been abused repeatedly, and bridges are now burnt with the current regime.

This is a relatively outward looking authority who has delivered a number of public projects of importance across the borough over the last decade - investment keeps coming as well.

We can't rely on the council. All local authorities are reeling from the years of austerity forced on them by the Tory government - these days are not over yet either. Gone are the days where they had the resources to deliver stadiums.

On the 24th, it's a year since the exhibition. Could be a fitting point to start the ball rolling on any campaign.

How are we going to do this then? It is a crying shame that more people will look at the upcoming match thread than view or comment on this...

Get voting, for or against....we need a clear picture. If the majority are happy to do feck all, then taking things further is pointless. If there are a significant number for action, then its time to get heads together and roll out some big dogs from across the board and all supporter groups....

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?91328-Is-it-time-for-action

Ok, from my own perspective, and not the Trust's point of view, I will make this post and then reserve the right of reply with no intention of doing so....

The reason, as I see it, that members of the Trust do not engage in this type of discussion on here is because those who do usually get bombarded with questions, criticism and general flak. The attitude to the Trust by some posters on this site has, historically, not been particularly good, including the way the Trust's own threads about events and travel were dealt with a little while back - resulting in the Trust not posting anything here for some time. Very few of the Board members go on SZ at all, even fewer post.

Scott, Lee and Cricko certainly all know exactly where to contact the Trust if they have something they wish to raise with the Board. An online supporters' forum is not going to be the right means to enter into constructive discussion for the very reasons I've outlined above.

The Trust holds annual general meetings, in common with many other organisations. At those, we give the opportunity for members to raise questions. The FACT that we have had hardly any non-Board members attend the last few years would suggest that there is an apathy to bother to come along and ask the kind of questions that people are raising on here. In every newsletter that is sent out, the Chairman invites members to ask him questions directly. I don't know how many do, but there is another opportunity that people seem to overlook.

The Trust has also held several open forums, usually with Phil Brown or with Steve Kavanagh present, in recent years. That has been another opportunity to ask questions, yet how many of those making the most noise on this thread, and on Chris Phillips' Southend United page on Facebook have taken up that opportunity? All the fuss about the Checkatrade trophy changes and the FL top bod comes along to a meeting and hardly anyone turns up to ask him questions.

Ron Martin is his own man. The Trust continue to seek that elusive place on the Board, but this is clearly something he doesn't want. We know from meetings with Steve Kavanagh regularly over the years, that he keeps largely his own counsel and certainly hasn't included Steve or other directors in some goings on with the proposed new stadium.

Citing the goings on at Charlton, in my opinion, is a poor comparison for what's going on with us. The club there has been sold to a foreign owner who doesn't have the vaguest clue about the club's standing, history or anything else. The Charlton supporters are passionate and, like anyone else, want their club to do well. They have been wrongly branded as "customers" by the clueless CEO, and rightfully upset. Whatever you say or think about Ron Martin, he knows the supporters and knows what they want, he cares about the club.

Last edited:
How are we going to do this then? It is a crying shame that more people will look at the upcoming match thread than view or comment on this...

Or maybe they will do both. Being a supporter of Southend allows posters to have an interest in the next game, it may be easier for them to comment on the team than articulate their views on the future. Attempting to get people to take part in/back any action must be the name of the game.

As stakeholders in the club with significant influence (power and interest), Ron would be wise to have open lines of communication with the fanbase.

This is the age of corporate transparency, best practice and effective governance. However, I'm not entirely convinced that these are the values the club has at its forefront.

Kay says it all in one line... "Ron Martin is his own man" he has little time for anything else in his great plan ,we can talk all we wish..but we might as well P***up a wall.

Kay says it all in one line... "Ron Martin is his own man" he has little time for anything else in his great plan ,we can talk all we wish..but we might as well P***up a wall.

Which a lot of us may well have done in our chequered lives. Probably not OBL though.

perhaps if you'd spoken up at meetings instead of saying little and then sniping from a computer then everyone would have benefited.

Spoken up??? Hahaha mate I don't think I could have been any louder, Got very heated at times then meetings!

Love how you can assess the situation without any knowledge of it

Back