• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Guardian Guide to the Season out today

sosman

Youth Team
In today’s Guardian’s guide to the 2007/8 season Garry Birtles “Football League analyst for Sky Sports” says (under League One ‘Fearing the Drop’):

“…the surprise down there [in the relegation zone] could be Southend, who fought so well in the Championship but have a worryingly thin squad.”

Maybe I am too easily influenced by stuff like this, but it does concern me. On the other hand, on the face of it, it seems pretty well without basis and self-contradictory (How can we have ‘fought so well’ and yet be at risk of the drop again?), so perhaps it is a load of old tosh.

Incidentally, he has Hartlepool, Forest and Oldham as being prime ones at the top, with Leeds (I assume written before the 15-point deduction), Luton, Doncaster, Swansea and Tranmere following up. He's also foretelling relegation fights for Bournemouth, Brighton, Borient, Cheltenham, Gills and Nothampton (can't say I agree with those two) plus possibly Port Vale.

Comments sought please.

We don't have the biggest squad in the league, but it's hardly the smallest either. Whilst we don't have enough firepower to challenge for promotion IMO, there's enough about the squad to stay clear of a relegation battle.

Worryingly thin squad? We have more first team players than we've ever had under Tilson and haven't done too bad so far...

Chris Waddle a so called expert predicted us to finish bottom of the 2nd division the year we went up via the Play Offs having lead nearly all season - So in short I think they are bollocks.

Oh it's Chris Waddle?

That settles it, you may as well reverse the league table he's predicted.

NOTW yesterday had us 10th. I never put too much stock in what these people say anyway, as most of the time they're wrong - it's a lot harder to predict in the lower leagues than the Premiership.

NOTW yesterday had us 10th. I never put too much stock in what these people say anyway, as most of the time they're wrong - it's a lot harder to predict in the lower leagues than the Premiership.

good couple of mentions in the NOTW bit about Man Ure and Chelski.

Maybe all these so called experts are aware of our recent history of only staying in this division for one season and with Leeds and Forest bound to walk it the only place for us in down.

Luton & Swansea apart, Birtles predictions seem to have a strong regional bias ie northern clubs to do well and southern clubs to struggle

It seems to me he has done no research into this and is basing his opinion on last season's squad. I don't think he realises how many players we've brought in.

Perhaps he was referring to Lee Bradbury when saying the squad looked worryingly thin? After all, it looks as if Lee's spent the summer either at dysentary camp or the liposuction department at his local BUPA.

It seems to me he has done no research into this and is basing his opinion on last season's squad. I don't think he realises how many players we've brought in.

I was going to say the same thing LB....there seems to be little or no research at all, we've lost two players but brought in 5, got 3 back from loans and Moussa and Ademeno have graudated up.

Very poor if you ask me.

Two things here. "The Guardian" and "Gary Birtles".
The Guardian, everyones favourite footballing newspaper and Gary Birtles, that in demand footballing brain the Beeb and Sky cant afford.

:hilarious: :hilarious:

In the Mirror over the weekend, Huddersfield manager Andy Ritchie predicted we would be in the promotion battle, along with Forest, Carlisle, Millwall and Huddersfield (I think). He also had Orient down for relegation...

Birtles is a **** .. he's been a co-commentator a few times when they've shown Conference football on the telly and the guy talks out of his ringpiece most of the time

In the Mirror over the weekend, Huddersfield manager Andy Ritchie predicted we would be in the promotion battle, along with Forest, Carlisle, Millwall and Huddersfield (I think). He also had Orient down for relegation...

i would agree with that

The News of the World I read had us predicted as finishing 7th not 10th.

Back