• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Guess when the new manager will be appointed

On what date will Ron announce the new manager?

• Thursday 30th July

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Friday 31st July

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Saturday 1st August

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Sunday 2nd August

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Monday 3rd August

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • Tuesday 4th August

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Wednesday 5th August

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • In over a week's time (but less than a month)

Votes: 69 35.9%
  • Sometime in September

Votes: 24 12.5%
  • Longer than that

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Bart

Votes: 12 6.3%

• Total voters

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
I think we would all agree that it's dragging on far too long. With rumours that the training ground will be open from next Monday, when do you think Ron will announce the new manager?

This is too painful. A large part of being a Southend fan over the last year and a bit has been waiting for old manager to be sacked, new manager to be appointed.

If we've actually got someone signed up then announcing it at the same time as the shirt reveal seems like the obvious time to do it to me, if that doesn't happen I'd expect it to be at least a week or two before anyone comes in.

If Currie is strongly in the mix Ron will have to "get the cow over the bucket" in days not weeks as Barnet will want it rapped up either way. And Currie wont be wanting to end up with neither job. I would have more time for Ron's legendary due diligence, that proceeds typically at a funereal pace, if there was some correlation between time and getting it right. There isn't it seems.

To me the shortlist must be
Fagan
Maher
Currie
McGreal
Reid

Any of these would be a decent appointment. Fagan, Maher, Currie Ron knows about in some detail (Currie was being looked at when he went for Sol).

How many weeks does it take to work out who you want? All the above have been interested and known about for some time.

If Currie is strongly in the mix Ron will have to "get the cow over the bucket" in days not weeks as Barnet will want it rapped up either way. And Currie wont be wanting to end up with neither job. I would have more time for Ron's legendary due diligence, that proceeds typically at a funereal pace, if there was some correlation between time and getting it right. There isn't it seems.

To me the shortlist must be
Fagan
Maher
Currie
McGreal
Reid

Any of these would be a decent appointment. Fagan, Maher, Currie Ron knows about in some detail (Currie was being looked at when he went for Sol).

How many weeks does it take to work out who you want? All the above have been interested and known about for some time.

I'd add Jolley to that shortlist and I wonder if Ron sounded out Paul Cook - that could explain the delay.

Either way that's a decent shortlist. I would think Maher's probably a no, and Reid isn't local enough. I'd say it's a choice between Fagan and Currie.

Given that loads of Fagan's mates have been bigging Fagan up on Twitter, I'd say it's more likely Currie and Fagan's trying to drum up support.

That would be an amazing day!

I can’t see it being announced this week.

Even if it’s close to being sorted, when you have 2/3 bits of good news you don’t release it all at the same time! Marketing ploys will dictate that it’s drip fed in, in an effort to prolong the feel good ripple effect

I see an obvious connection here between Fagan ( Fagin ) and Ron ( The Artful Dodger )....

christmas eve that will chairman rons christmas present to all us suffering supporters

I can handle an uninspiring manager, questionable signings and relegation just as long as the new kit isn't sh!t.

Last seasons was such a disappointment.

Easily the worst kit in our history.

Reactions: GBJ
If Currie is strongly in the mix Ron will have to "get the cow over the bucket" in days not weeks
Indeed, if the horse bolts the stable door before Ron gets the cow over the line, the club as a whole will have kicked the farm and bought the bucket.

I worry we will make the same mistake we did with Campbell. Ron spent all that time charming Larsson and had to quickly fall back on Sol. I hope we aren't putting all our eggs in one basket and are keeping our options open this time.

Would be great to see us fans go out and buy the new strip even if you dont normally buy a top, just to give the club a head start money wise , every little helps.
Off topic of new manager sorry.

This is too painful. A large part of being a Southend fan over the last year and a bit has been waiting for old manager to be sacked, new manager to be appointed.

Yes, that's true, quite a contrast to the speed of the Tilson to Sturrock and then Sturrock to Brown changes which it appeared Ron had in place in advance, they worked out a lot better than the recent ones too.

Back