• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bromley Blue

The artist formerly known as the_saafender
As I'm a Bournemouth based shrimper I thought I'd give ya  bit of info on the Town and team which might be of use come saturday.

How to get here

Take the M25 til you reach the M3 junction (12) signposted Southampton. Its very close to the previous junction. Continue on the M3 til junction 13 (keep in left hand lane) then join the M27 (signposted M27 West). Continue on the M27 til you pass Winchester and Southampton and it will then become the A31. Follow the A31 til you get to Ringwood. Take the A338 signposted Bournemouth and Bournemouth Airport. Follow the 338 into Bournemouth and watch out for the Gatso just before the Boscombe exit you will need to take for Dean Court (50MPH limit). At Kings Park Roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Kings Park Drive (signposted All Football Traffic). Follow the football traffic signs to the ground from here.

Parking

There is quite a lot of parking available at the ground but I've never been to a Bournemouth game with such a big away following expected so I'd recommend getting here early to utilise this. If not there's plenty of side roads nearby to leave it for a couple of hours but dont leave it too late.

Pubs

Pubs near the ground I'm not too familiar with. Maybe Wessex Blue can enlighten us on this one. In the town there's a hell of a lot for those who get here pretty early. Walkabout, Yates, Litten Tree, etc.

Nightlife

For those staying down for Saturday night the above pubs will be pretty busy and the main club is Elements. There is a Jumping Jaks on the seafront but I only recommend this for the Milf Hunters amongst you. Bar Med is always good on a saturday and walkabout is a bit of a meat market  
biggrin.gif

The Team

Bournemouth play in a similar fashion to us in that they like to get the ball down and pass. They are normally up fighting for a playoff spot about this time of year but their deteriorating finances have led to the sale of key players such as Brian Stock earlier this year. I'm surprised Hayter's still there. Also watch out for Steve Fletcher, a heavily built striker that I reckon the Sod will be marking come saturday.

Anyway essay over, here's to a safe journey to all of you and 3 points for the super blues.

Useful stuff. If Wessex Blue or someone else put a bit of meat on the pub bit, this would be good for the front page...

if you drive into the town centre and feel like you are driving round in circles, do not worry you are!!!

Yep, we are down for the weekend

Up the Blues!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Mar. 27 2006,10:26)]watch out for the Gatso just before the Boscombe exit you will need to take for Dean Court (50MPH limit).
Fantastic bit of reporting. One in they for MR G Brown.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kingshrimp @ Mar. 27 2006,10:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Mar. 27 2006,10:26)]watch out for the Gatso just before the Boscombe exit you will need to take for Dean Court (50MPH limit).
Fantastic bit of reporting. One in they for MR G Brown.
tounge.gif
Yeah basically it goes down to 50 from national when you get closer to Bournemouth but the first of 2 cameras on my route back to my house ( I take the exit after the Boscombe football exit) is quite a way after you first see the 50 signs. You could carry on at 70 til you go over the bridge but obviously up to you if you're as impatient as me lol!

Just a quick call for the moderators. Any chance of making this topic a sticky or putting it somewhere. Realise its gonna be a topic people read more than add to.

Cheers

Theres a lot of Shrimpers coming down for the whole weekend so some plan for pre-match cocktails is probably a good idea.

Really can't wait for this weekend.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Mar. 27 2006,10:26)]Parking

There is quite a lot of parking available at the ground but I've never been to a Bournemouth game with such a big away following expected so I'd recommend getting here early to utilise this. If not there's plenty of side roads nearby to leave it for a couple of hours but dont leave it too late.

Pubs

Pubs near the ground I'm not too familiar with. Maybe Wessex Blue can enlighten us on this one. In the town there's a hell of a lot for those who get here pretty early. Walkabout, Yates, Litten Tree, etc.

Nightlife

For those staying down for Saturday night the above pubs will be pretty busy and the main club is Elements. There is a Jumping Jaks on the seafront but I only recommend this for the Milf Hunters amongst you. Bar Med is always good on a saturday and walkabout is a bit of a meat market  
biggrin.gif
Here goes for the local pub rundown

From Bournemouth station

The Cricketers Arms
41, Windham Rd, Bournemouth, Dorset BH1 4RN
Tel: 01202 551589

Tucked away down a side road near the central station , good range of real ales but not really a footy pub. About 15 mins walk from the ground

The Dolphin
316, Holdenhurst Rd, Bournemouth, Dorset BH8 8AY
Tel: 01202 396673  
This is big pub on Holdenhurst Road about 10 mins walk from the ground. Likely to attract the “casual”  support

From Pokesdown railway station
The Bell
Christchurch Road
Pokesdown
Bournemouth
BH7 6DL
Unspectacular local pub opposite the station, not much to recommend it really, It’s about 10 mins walk through King’s Park to the ground

Boscombe pubs

Greens Bar
560, Christchurch Rd, Bournemouth, Dorset BH1 4BH
Tel: 01202 301333  

Bit of a dive, 10 mins walk from the ground

The Percy Shelley
Christchurch Rd, Bournemouth
Wetherspoons pub therefore a very good range of beers at much cheapness. Don’t go in after 6:00pm however as Boscombe’s resident creatures crawl from under their stones to frequent this place from that time, unless of course you’re studying anthropology and genetic throwbacks. – 10 mins walk from the ground

Deacons
534-536, Christchurch Rd, Bournemouth, Dorset BH1 4BE
Tel: 01202 398038  

Scouse, cliquey, scally clientele – One to avoid

The Queens Park Hotel
482, Holdenhurst Rd, Bournemouth, Dorset BH8 9AR

The away pub of choice, most away fans go in here. Big screen and 2 bars, all in all probably the best footy pub – 5 mins from the ground

The Portman
Ashley Road
Boscombe

Another footy pub used by home and away fans. Not bad and only 5 mins walk fromn the ground

Malt & Hops
147, Parkwood Rd, Bournemouth, Dorset BH5 2BW

Good local pub with loads of  screens for Sky games. My local so I’ll probably be in here from  12:30 – 2:00ish. The downside is that it’s a 20 minute walk to the ground.

Parking

Loads of parking in Kings Park but arrive early to ensure you get a spot. Alternatively there’s another car park in the park at the top of Clarence Park Road . Thsis is near Pokesdown station. See the map below. Also there is street parking in the roads off of  Clarence Park Road  
Parking near Pokesdown station

Hope this helps

Marvellous effort chaps. Can you recommend any comedy clubs or live music venues for the evening?

probably the malt & hops between 12:30 & 2:00ish. Only cos it's local to me and I'm meeting some mates in there.

Alternatively I might go to the Queens Park, atmos in there should be good. I'll PM you later in the week to find out where you're off to and maybe catch up for a couple of scoops.

I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas this week, all excited, hope the team don't let us down. Never seen us win at Dean Court yet!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Mar. 27 2006,14:57)]I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas this week, all excited, hope the team don't let us down. Never seen us win at Dean Court yet!
Yeah I'm the same. So strange being able to go to a Southend away game without the travelling. Went to the hartlepool game on Saturday on me own but it was bloody worth it. Put me in a great mood all weekend. Here's for more of the same this weekend.

Just a refresh with info on parking pubs etc for the Bournemouth game. have a safe trip and fingerss crossed we take all 3 points

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Mar. 31 2006,16:54)]Just a refresh with info on parking pubs etc for the Bournemouth game. have a safe trip and fingerss crossed we take all 3 points
lol just an excuse to get the post back on the front page of the forum, i was thinking of doing the same!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Mar. 31 2006,17:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Mar. 31 2006,16:54)]Just a refresh with info on parking pubs etc for the Bournemouth game. have a safe trip and fingerss crossed we take all 3 points
lol just an excuse to get the post back on the front page of the forum, i was thinking of doing the same!
Out for a couple of beers in town tomorrow night, you out yourself?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Mar. 31 2006,18:45)]Cheers for the info Wessex. May well see you tomorrow.

Kev
Safe journey down Kev and I'll probably bump into you somewhere. You decided where you're drinking and what stand you in? Hope it's the East because you'll need to bring a brolly if you're in the south.

I'm well excited too Wessex, been waiting for this fixture for ages. Can't make the Malt and Hops as I have been rigged into going for a birthday lunch with a load of afcb fans (joy, all Big Steve Fletcher talk). Good thing though I will be collecting my 50 quid from them as we are going to finish higher (they were soooo confident).

I would love it if we beat the Cherry Bears, love it.

p.s cheers for getting the ticket.

Back