• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Guitar Hero PS2

palexander

Life President
I dont normally get time to play too many games these days, but I really fancied this one - and havent been able to put it down in the last 3 days!!

Basically, you get the game and a guitar shaped controller (bit smaller than a conventional guitar) to play on and its like one of those rythym games where you have to hit the colour keys in time with the symbols on the screen.

They've done a great job of capturing the spirit of playing a real guitar (including stumming and a whammy bar!)

There is 40+ songs - most performed by someone other than the actual bands, but they all sound as spot on as the originals. All songs are rock based, such as Killer Queen, Ace of Spades, No One Knows (Queens of the Stone Age), Smoke on the Water etc.

Trust me, if you've though about getting this, but are worried about the high price tag - just get it!!!

Nothing compares to holding a Gibson les Paul in my hands, it's pure sex.

...Shame i've now only got a Charvel Jackson and a washburn to play with, they're a couple of old slags in comparison.

i'm sure it's a good game, and i will probably rave about it when I get around to playing it, but i'm taking my guitarist purist attitude here.

I miss my Gibson/Marshall JCM set up
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ May 24 2006,22:26)]Nothing compares to holding a Gibson les Paul in my hands, it's pure sex.

...Shame i've now only got a Charvel Jackson and a washburn to play with, they're a couple of old slags in comparison.

i'm sure it's a good game, and i will probably rave about it when I get around to playing it, but i'm taking my guitarist purist attitude here.

I miss my Gibson/Marshall JCM set up
sad.gif
I agree that nothing beats the real thing - even for a part time power-chorder like myself.

As I said, GH captures the spirit of playing!!

I've had this game since it's release back in early April. Every one of my mates I've shown it to has loved it and wanted a copy. As a result I've plenty of places to go if I want a good old guitar off!
It's also highly addictive...

Currently trying to beat Cowboys From Hell on hard mode... and not getting very far either!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ May 25 2006,12:03)]I've had this game since it's release back in early April. Every one of my mates I've shown it to has loved it and wanted a copy. As a result I've plenty of places to go if I want a good old guitar off!
It's also highly addictive...

Currently trying to beat Cowboys From Hell on hard mode... and not getting very far either!
I'm still trying to 5-star all songs on Medium - though I'm getting sufficiently good enough at it now to attempt Hard.

Extreme looks far too mental to even consider!

Looking forward to GH2 now - out in November. Gonna have a 2-player co-op game where one plays bass and the other lead/rythym on the same song! Should be cool...

Ever dabbled with Guitar Freaks/Drum-Mania? The drum-kit looks awesome and again in 2-player, one plays the drums and the other the guitar. Should be a laugh!

There used to be a guitar freaks machine in one of the arcades on the sea front (I forget which one now) and i used to play it all the time when I was there. Never seen a drum-mania machine though.

Tried a couple of songs on extreme, and even managed to pass one - although it was only 'I love rock and roll'...
tounge.gif

Will it improve my guitar playing to the point where i will pi$$ all over Slash's long solo in Novmeber rain*?

(*even if that is arguably more fretting of notes than actually playing them)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 26 2006,12:01)]Will it improve my guitar playing to the point where i will pi$$ all over Slash's long solo in Novmeber rain*?

(*even if that is arguably more fretting of notes than actually playing them)
I certainly dont think that Guitar Hero can 'teach' you or improve your guitar skills in any way. What it does do (on the higher levels) is get you accustomed to hand/eye co-ordination required to play guitar.

Plus, once you do reach the higher levels and are trying to nail some of the solos then (personally anyway) I think its an awesome feeling of actually playing guitar. You are having to 'play' almost every note in the song and you know you are effecting the sound coming out of the TV by doing that - so yea, its an awesome feeling.

I have moved up a level today and beginning to master hammer-ons and pull-offs quite sucessfully!
cool.gif

Oh, I took the plunge and have order GuitarFreaks/Drummania along with 2 guitar controllers and the drum kit!! My gf is well into GH too and we will be forming our own sad bastards virtual band as you can play the drums and guitars all together in the same song!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ May 26 2006,20:18)]Oh, I took the plunge and have order GuitarFreaks/Drummania along with 2 guitar controllers and the drum kit!! My gf is well into GH too and we will be forming our own sad bastards virtual band as you can play the drums and guitars all together in the same song!
Don't you have to get those on import though? I'm pretty sure they're not available in the UK...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ May 27 2006,06:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ May 26 2006,20:18)]Oh, I took the plunge and have order GuitarFreaks/Drummania along with 2 guitar controllers and the drum kit!! My gf is well into GH too and we will be forming our own sad bastards virtual band as you can play the drums and guitars all together in the same song!
Don't you have to get those on import though? I'm pretty sure they're not available in the UK...
Yep, couldnt find anybody in the UK selling it (bar ebay - even then the controllers are from USA).

Ended up getting it from Lik-Sang which is a brilliant Jap import website for all console games. The game is coming from Hong Kong and the controllers from Lik-Sangs new European branch.

Hopefully should all be here by the end of the week!

Here is a little taste of Guitar Freaks and Drummania in action. I think (hope!) this is an advanced level played by what appears to be a real drummer.

BTW, everybody says that Drummania is the best rythym game as unlike the others, it actually WILL improve your drum skills to the point where after continued play you should have a good skill level of drumming!!

Linky McLink

I envy you on that one - I'd love to be able to get driummania / Guitar Freaks but my student loan doesn't stretch very far!

Looks pretty cool as well

I remember the days when you bought a game, stuck it in the machine and you were off. None of this importing or expensive accessories.

What sort of level is the game though? I'm completely self taught but have been playing for about 5 years now. Don't know why this is relevant but maybe the game is pitched for beginners or maybe it has a wide range of abilities catered for.

To be fair, a lot of decent games never get released here these days because the games companies don't have the guts to take a chance - so you have to import them. Guitar Hero itself was originally not intended for the UK, but a last minute change of heart by Sony saved it (bloody right too!)

GH itself has four difficulty levels, so it's suitable for beginners or those Japanese freaks who can move their hands at the speed of light and everyone imbetween.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ May 29 2006,01:26)]I remember the days when you bought a game, stuck it in the machine and you were off. None of this importing or expensive accessories.

What sort of level is the game though? I'm completely self taught but have been playing for about 5 years now. Don't know why this is relevant but maybe the game is pitched for beginners or maybe it has a wide range of abilities catered for.
If you are talking about the Guitar games (Hero/Freaks) then being an actual guitarist is not really going to be much help - or your guitar skills will not really be improved by the game.

I guess you will have a slight advantage as the hand/eye co-ordination of playing a guitar will feel like second-nature in the game, but the mechanics of the game and a real guitar are different (though, saying that, as I do play the guitar, I 'strum' the controller like I would do a guitar using my thumb/fingers - where my gf who has never played the guitar holds the strummer on the guitar between her thumb and finger and 'clicks' it up and down - this gives me an advantage of being able to strum faster).

If you meant the drum game, then (though I havent played it yet!) from what I have heard, it will teach you to play the drums to a good standard - to the point where you could sit down at an actual drum kit and be quite comfortable - after repeated plays of the game no doubt!

Back