• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Guus de Vries

NZamba Legend

Deep-lying playmaker ⭐
Echo says we have a trialist left back in Guus de Vries, who used to play for a team called Eminen in the Nederlands. I reckon he might be one of those weird amalgam Dutch names you get when you've been playing CM (96/97) for too long. Either way, if he's not one of the top 5 full backs in the world I can't see him fitting in at Roots Hall. Cheers.

Extensive details here: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guus_de_Vries

We are going up, say we are going up!

Last edited:
Also says Joyce will be signing a one year deal.

I fear it will be like last season where we trial every left back under the sun and then end up with a loanee!

Funny enough I have been manager of Emmen and this boy was ok. I later moved on to AZ Alkmaar (in the dutch top flight) and took him with me but he didnt make much of an impression.

So in summary if we get promoted to the Dutch Eridvesise (Premier League) then I think we need to drop him fast.

Back to reality looks like were not confident of getting Dan Harding then.

Funny enough I have been manager of Emmen and this boy was ok. I later moved on to AZ Alkmaar (in the dutch top flight) and took him with me but he didnt make much of an impression.

So in summary if we get promoted to the Dutch Eridvesise (Premier League) then I think we need to drop him fast.

What was his personality Dave? 'Light-hearted' I hope. It's always good to have a joker in the dressing room.

As good a player as Dorian Dervite was, when he put on his Joy Division tapes before the big games (MK Dons at home springs to mind) and insisted that Paul Brush do the Ian Curtis dance during the team talk he did tend to bring the mood down a little.

What was his personality Dave? 'Light-hearted' I hope. It's always good to have a joker in the dressing room.

As good a player as Dorian Dervite was, when he put on his Joy Division tapes before the big games (MK Dons at home springs to mind) and insisted that Paul Brush do the Ian Curtis dance during the team talk he did tend to bring the mood down a little.

Well, asd you asked Nzamba....

He was basically a good lad, very ambitious personality and always keen to push on is his career. I could see from an early age he was destined for stardum. He was always asking to take free kicks etc but I had to point out with a rating of 4/20 you going nowhere near the ball son.

Tackling of 16, Postioning of 15 and a whopping 19 in the heading department made him a defensive must.

When I got the call from Alkmaar I was straight on the phone to Guus and he came and joined me. Despite being out his depth he chipped in with the lads and made a good contribution.

Based on this I think Tilly would be mad not to sign him.

19951_200x250.jpg

This is Guus for those who you who haven't seen him playing on telly or in world cups. You can tell from this picture alone that his positioning is at least 14.

Echo says we have a trialist left back in Guus de Vries, who used to play for a team called Eminen in the Nederlands. I reckon he might be one of those weird amalgam Dutch names you get when you've been playing CM (96/97) for too long. Either way, if he's not one of the top 5 full backs in the world I can't see him fitting in at Roots Hall. Cheers.

Extensive details here: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guus_de_Vries

We are going up, say we are going up!

Played with Eminem?.....................that should rap up the left back situation then.

I noticed he only played 4 games in two season, which is the reason why Eminem let him go. The dutch 2nd div is like our League 1.

Somebody get our resident Football Manager Informant on the line... I think Tilson ought to be aware of his Potential Ability before jumping into the deep end and making a signing.

19951_200x250.jpg

This is Guus for those who you who haven't seen him playing on telly or in world cups. You can tell from this picture alone that his positioning is at least 14.

I think you've put up the wrong picture, that's quite clearly a snap of Hof Van Saksen

Thats him - Hunky Gus the fans used to call him.

I recall seeing him at the world player of the year awards last summer.

Can someone please upload the Dutch league and give us a screen dump. I want the world to see how bad his free kicks are.....

In the 9.0.3 version of FM 09, he had a current ability rating of 97 and a potential ability rating of 115. In the game, he is therefore easily a top 6 L1 left-back.

As a comparison, I've rated Johnny Herd at 85 for current ability for FM 10, and Dan Harding last season was on 105.

Sign him up :D

Also says Joyce will be signing a one year deal.

I fear it will be like last season where we trial every left back under the sun and then end up with a loanee!

Probably, but I don't think I would worry too much about that because I think Jonny Herd can cover for the time being. I wouldn't rely on him for the season because I think we need to take our time with him, but as a short term measure we could do worse...

This thread is a prime example of how much we have been craving for something to talk about.

Brilliance

p.s. sign him up. If he is anywhere near as good as our last Dutchman, then he will always be better than Darryl. Should we have a poll on it?

Back