• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings GWR v Southend United - Tuesday 20 July

I can see why Wakering is the driest place in Britain. The bar service was shocking. So bad you had to laugh in the end.

Who would have guessed that lots of thirsty people would turn up for the first openly available game for 18 months during a heatwave.

That aside, nice to see some old faces all mingling and being able to have a beer on the terrace. Even Ricky Holmes was in the crowd and had a chat.

Was he in training gear or civvies? Anyone ask whether he was close to signing?

Mock me at your will, but none of us want mercenaries at our club. I've never seen a player do well for Southend having played for Orient, Dagneham or Colchester previously.

This is a joke right?

Cadette, otto, John White, wordsworth, Coker.

There are loads players from those clubs who have done well for us over the years.

John White was seen as a proper col u player. Has now played many more times for us than he has them.

This is a joke right?

Cadette, otto, John White, wordsworth, Coker.

There are loads players from those clubs who have done well for us over the years.

John White was seen as a proper col u player. Has now played many more times for us than he has them.
To be fair though he only put 4 past his old club on his home debut. He was clearly going easy on them.

Mock me at your will, but none of us want mercenaries at our club. I've never seen a player do well for Southend having played for Orient, Dagneham or Colchester previously.
Of course you haven’t seen legends like Ricky Otto and Mark Bentley play well for Southend as you were probably watching your real team - the one you support when you’re not trolling- play instead.

Thoughts on last night.

Biggest crowd I've seen over there for sometime tbh. Bar service was woefully slow but managed a couple of pre match beers.

First half. Terrel and Bridge played quite well out wide.

The two loanee looked very promising up top.

The defence got caught out several times and Wakering created more against that first half X1 than in previous seasons.

Second have and a good few faces I didn't recognise. Some youth in defence.

Will Atkinson looked unspectacular but we know we he can do.

Winger trialist had a good touch and generally looked OK.

The man up top was a monster. Big, strong and with a decent first touch. Played a loan role and the ball needed to go to him quicker but it was often delayed and he had strayed off side. We need this kind of battering ram player. The defenders trebled up on him. A few murmurings of another acquah etc. He is much bigger, stronger and more direct.

There was also a youthy in the middle with blonde hair who looked really good on the ball. No idea of the name.

Lastly. Louis Walsh. How rapid is this lad. Had one run that destroyed the defender and should have result in a goal from his cross.

Decent work out. And nice to be out and about.

There was also a youthy in the middle with blonde hair who looked really good on the ball. No idea of the name.
Was it Harry Phillips with dyed hair?

First half XI: Seaden, Demetriou, Mitchell-Nelson, Hobson, Clifford, Egbri, Ogogo, Dunne, Bridge, Trialist A, Trialist B.

Second half XI: Seaden, Howard, White, Davis, Sayers, Walsh, Ferguson, Trialist C, Phillips, Trialist D, Trialist E.

Trialist C was Will Atkinson. A, B, D and E were forwards.

FWIW

Much preferred seeing Demi at RB than CM

Ogogo will be a fans favourite for sure

Dunne looked like he was suffering or his legs have gone

Bridge needs to work on final ball and decision making

Walsh was impressive at times

For once I'd probably say all the trialists are worth another look

There's little pace in our side, which won't change with a bunch of 30+ year olds

I know we were missing a few players, it was only a friendly, blah blah blah, but that group of players won't make top 7. Decisions needs to be made on Holmes, Lennon, Halford (lol) etc sharpish so we know what we're playing with and get the enforcements in we need

Of course you haven’t seen legends like Ricky Otto and Mark Bentley play well for Southend as you were probably watching your real team - the one you support when you’re not trolling- play instead.
I've supported this club for 40 years mate. Through the highs, lows and even lowers. Don't call me not a fan just because I have a different opinion.

Richard Cadette, Ricky Otto, John White.

Let me know when I can stop mocking you!

I'm amazed that people have such high expectation and it seems they don't understand the purpose of these friendlies. They are helpful in getting match fitness levels up, they are useful for trialists to show us what they can bring. They are not the be-all-and-end-all of the season ahead, or even an indicator of what we can expect in the season ahead. We have had quite reasonable pre-seasons games in the last 2 years...and look at what happened. Let Phil and his colleagues do their stuff, see what they need to see, so we can keep players we need, and move others on that we don't. I hope it's a good game...but that is the icing rather than the cake.

In general I agree with you, but it is also true that, for example, under Colin Murphy we also struggled to score against these teams and under Barry Fry we scored at will. Look how those two seasons panned out.

You can get a gauge as to how you're looking, but obviously a lot will change in terms of personnel between now and the start of the season, or at least I hope it does in a striking sense.

In case you’re not,like me,a long term supporter who can go way back 30 years before the likes of Richard Cadette arrived,I’ve put together a very decent team/squad for you from just the last 10 seasons.
All played for Col U,Daggers or O’s before us :

G.Morris

J.Demetriou. M.Turner. C.Bolger. B.Coker

C.Easton. A.Wordsworth

R.Hall. F.Ladapo. D.Mooney. G.Tomlin

Subs:
R.Evans
J.White
C.Barker
A.Barrett
M.Spillane
Z.Hines

FWIW

Much preferred seeing Demi at RB than CM

Ogogo will be a fans favourite for sure

Dunne looked like he was suffering or his legs have gone

Bridge needs to work on final ball and decision making

Walsh was impressive at times

For once I'd probably say all the trialists are worth another look

There's little pace in our side, which won't change with a bunch of 30+ year olds

I know we were missing a few players, it was only a friendly, blah blah blah, but that group of players won't make top 7. Decisions needs to be made on Holmes, Lennon, Halford (lol) etc sharpish so we know what we're playing with and get the enforcements in we need

Had a few mates last night saying Dunne looked unfit. Apparently looking more like a darts protégé than a footballer.....

Back