• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hadleigh Olympic events - whinging old gits not consulted.

they're just annoyed that they'll be dead by 2012 and will miss out

Ron Hurrell is a local mouthpiece who has letters published in the Echo/Advertiser/Standard every week on a variety of subjects, usually in a moaning or craving nostalgia type vein.

These are a minority of residents, I think the vast majority welcome the event and can see the opportunities for the town. Certainly those living on the south east side of Benfleet Rd are rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of renting out their properties! ;) I think Ron lives on the other side though, so no extra revenue for him!

The only thing that concerns me is I don't see any way possible that Chapel Lane can be a main access - the road is far too narrow - I thought the main access was coming in from by Leigh station, that's where they're already starting work.

FFS, its only a 2 day event, its not like its going to bring traffic delays and misery for months!

Roadworks that go on for 4 months would cause more traffic chaos, yet no-one is consulted about that either!

Is "King of Southend" Mad Cyril , the posting styles certainly seem similar

He may or may not be.

One thing is for sure the comments on the Echo website certainly paint a depressing picture of Essex man/woman.

Last edited:
Certainly those living on the south east side of Benfleet Rd are rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of renting out their properties! ;) I think Ron lives on the other side though, so no extra revenue for him!

The only thing that concerns me is I don't see any way possible that Chapel Lane can be a main access - the road is far too narrow - I thought the main access was coming in from by Leigh station, that's where they're already starting work.

I live about 150 yards from the School Lane/Station Road entrance to the country park.

Who exactly could I rent my house to? I wouldn't have thought Olympic mountain bikers have enough cash kicking about to rent a house.

Last edited:
The King of Southend, Essex Riviera says...
12:38pm Mon 20 Jul 09
I wasn't consulted when they pulled down local pubs and replaced them with retirement homes filled with whinging old ****s.

While I am at it - could all you old people stop going shopping at the weekend? It is terribly inconvenient for those of us who work all week to pay your pensions. I for one am sick of Rover 620 driving codgers queueing up at the supermarket on a saturday when they have all week to buy their cat food and Murray mints.

Excellent.

This bloke 'Ron Hurrell' mentioned on the echo website is certainly some kind of Victor Meldrew of the area, he is always writing into the local papers about something that he wasnt asked about or something he isnt happy with. He really needs to chill out.

Im sure local council/police etc will ensure the event goes ahead with minimal distruption to residents and Ron Hurrell.

Last edited:
"Why weren't we consulted"

Because your octogenarians who would say no. You don't like change and have a belief that Hadleigh is a beauty spot, even though my arse is better looking, bigger climb as well. Now go back to your houses and put ear-muffs in for two days when the event runs and you'll be fine.

Back