• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mildenhall - 8
Francis - 5
Malone - 6
Barrett - 7
Morrison - 7
Laurent - 6
Moussa - 6
Macca - 6
Christophe - 5
Grant - 6
Barnard - 9
Freedman - 3
Sankofa - 5
Joyce - 4
Walker - 3
Scannell - 5
Herd - 5

Most improved - Mildenhall
Best player - Barnard

Mildenhall - 8
Francis - 5
Malone - 5
Barrett - 7
Morrison - 7
Laurent - 7
Moussa - 6
Macca - 1
Christophe - 5
Grant - 6
Barnard - 9
Freedman -1
Sankofa -1
Joyce - 4
Walker -2
Scannell - 2
Herd - 5

Most improved - Mildenhall
Best player - Barnard

Mildenhall - 8 - Has been pretty much top drawer all season. We'd be in a fair amount of trouble without him.
Joyce - 6 - He's been poor when called upon, but hasn't exactly cost us points.

Francis - 6 - If he didn't have the concentration span of a goldfish, he'd be great at this level. Chipped in with a few assists but still lacks a lot defensively.
Sankofa - 5 - Poor when called upon. Has an oddly shaped head.
Barrett - 6 - Would be a 7, but he continues to give away stupid free kicks by grabbing attackers.
Morrison - 8 - Our best defender by a mile. Shame he goes back next week.
Johnny Herd - 7 - Pretty dependable. Speaks volumes that the Premiership full backs we've had on loan haven't looked much better.
Scott Malone - 6 - Definitely has something about him, but his delivery is very inconsistent and entirely predictable.

Anthony Grant - 7 - Great defensive midfielder. Does his duties well and with little fuss... Just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and his temper under control.
JFC - 6 - Again, a great defensive midfielder but let down by the fact he couldn't pass water.
Alan McCormack- 5.5 - Has looked out of sorts at times, still can't pass water, his temper has flared and he's responsible for several deaths in Shakespeare Drive. Looks to be improving lately, though...
Franck Moussa - 6 - Can pass the ball, which helps. Had a fantastic start to the season but has definitely faded of late... Could perhaps do with a rest.
Francis Laurent - 7 - If he could maintain his first half performances into the second half and learn to cross the ball, he'd be unplayable. He's very raw, but a potential diamond in the making.
Damien Scannell - 5.5 - With fitness and a match practise he could make a real impact. Yet to show any sign of intelligence, though.
Stuart O'Keefe - Unfair to rank.

Lee Barnard - 8 - Can't argue with his goal scoring record.
Dougie Freedman - 4.5 - Legs have gone. Makes some good passes, but has yet to have a real impact on a game and it's cost us.
James Walker (RIP) - 5 - Needs a run of games really, but has looked poor when called upon.
Alex Revell - 5 - Out of sorts, out of confidence, out of luck. Another forward who has a lot asked of him but with no real help.

ESB, you are a legend sir for doing exactly what was required. Cricko, you are still a *** of the highest order.....1? WTF are you on about???????

Stats suggest otherwise.........God, why can't you lot just do what I want, for once?! It's easy, take each player one at a time and post comments and ratings........or is that too difficult for your befuddled little male minds? :p

Ah_221.jpg

Kommen Herren! Get in behind Fraulein OBL. She has vays of making you post.

Ok here's mine;

Mildenhall 7 Improved from last season, distibution is improving, doesn't get down
quick enough to low shots, but that is symptom of a big goalkeeper. (worried when he was injured tho)

Francis 7 If he could cut out the regular mistakes, could be one ofthe best attacking full back in the division.

Malone 7 Turning circle of a bus, that aside, good prospect, and good enough for this division.

Barrett 6 Disappointed me so far this season, having said that has not had a regular partner. With Dorian he looked much better winning the second ball.

Malone 7 Good prospect. with the right help in front of him could be a very good player.

Laurent 6 Doesn't do the good things regularly enough, But on his day.....

Macca 6 Not as good as last season, discipline slightly better tho

Grant 8 I think this guy is very tactically aware, played in almost every position, except gk, knows how to buy a free kick better than Douggie.

Jeff 6 wish he would stop going round in circles when he wins the ball. Win it and surge FORWARD .

Moussa 5 Don't see what some people on here obviously do. Tactically naive, Having said that he is not a left winger, where he is sometimes asked to play.

Barnard 9 Much improved on last season. Looks sharper when he is fit, and got a good pre-season in which helped. Probably the only player we could sell for a fee !

Scannell 6 Definately has something, although promise coupled with injury has left us with no end product. But hey ho only £5k

Douggie 4 Shame cos I was really excited when we signed him, and he destroyed Orient last season, but this may have been a season too far.

Walker 5 Still has potential, just wish he would have one good game and then I'm sure his confidence would return. (that may even have to be an away game)

Sankofa 4 Injury upset any run he might have had in an unsettlet side.

Herd 5 Like him although gets exposed a bit, has a good throw that gives us another option, but needs more than that.

O' Keefe 5 Saw him in the pre-season friendlies and was impressed (scored a corker of a goal against somebody i can't remember) Like to see more of him if we are going no-where in the last few games

Joyce 5 No, better him than no-one tho.

Player of half season Lee Barnard (already been said)

Most Improved Mildenhall (already been said )

Mildenhall 8 - another very polished 6 months. Decisive decision-making, cool and authoritative at the back, excellent distribution and sharp reflexes. Easily the best Southend keeper since Royce.
Joyce 5 - get well soon Mildy

Francis 7 - the most infuriating player at the club, but his crossing from deep has been our key attacking weapon
Malone 6 - a nice signing who looks as if he'll develop into a very good player
Morrison 6.5 - amazing to think he's only 18. As he becomes stronger and more experienced he'll develop into a very good League One centre-half.
Barrett 6 - fairly average
Herd 5 - whilst people keep on excusing him because of his age, he's lost his place to a player two years younger.
Sankofa 5.5 - I can't actually recall him playing this season

Grant 9 - the pick of the midfield - but also the defence when he's been positioned there. My Player of the Season so far.
McCormack 5 - consistently below par. Has looked half a yard off the pace for most of the season. His passing lacks conviction and he offers little creativity. With Grant and Christophe anchoring the midfield we're crying out for a central midfielder to get ahead of the ball and/or pass the ball. Not the player he was 12 months ago.
Moussa 6.5 - although his form has dipped this last month or two he's firmly established himself in the side and was a key player earlier in the season.
Christophe 5.5 - defensively he's fine, but his passing is shocking.
Laurent 6 - our most entertaining player by far, but has proved inconsistent and injury-prone.
Scannell 5.5 - every time he looks as if he might have something about him, he goes and gets injured. I don't see him as starting material but he could provide good, cheap squad depth.
O'Keefe 4 - not based so much on his actual appearances but on his non-appearances when he's bit fit and we've had no players and he still couldn't get a game. Doesn't bode well for his future at the club.

Barnard 9 - narrowly loses out to Grant as our best player.
Freedman 3 - I'm feeling generous.
Walker N/A - has lost the manager's confidence and it's only a matter of time until he goes.
Calver 0 - bye bye

I think that some of the scores may be too high, given the number of points that we have. Our midfield have dominated teams without hurting them.

Mildenhall - 8, Has kept us in so many games. Commands his area and gives some confidence to our ever-changing defense.

Francis - 7 I think he has been really good. He does make the odd error but without him Barney wouldn't have scored many.

Morrison - 6 A good defender who makes few mistakes. Needs to work on his distribution.

Barrett - 6 Has played well on the whole, helping us to play further up the pitch when necessary but has committed quite a few boo boos at the back.

Malone - 5 Offers no advantage over Herd that I can see. Too many poor set plays and gets caught out of position a lot despite some heroic defending at times. I know Christophe really rates him so maybe I'm out of line here.

Laurent - 7 Inconsistent but has the Sawyer-like ability to get you to your feet. Has been really good on the wing on the whole. Final ball still a problem although there is improvement.

Macca - 6 Quite average in my view. At his best he gets the team going and helps us to dominate midfield but tends to sit a bit too deep for my liking and doesn't explode into the box often enough even when Grant gives him cover behind. Discipline is a problem too. His passing is inconsistent although as OBL has pointed out, he has given some great assists. His shooting is pretty terrible but at least he got off the mark at Brisbane Road.

Grant - 6 Hasn't really pushed on from last year. Generally reads the game well, breaks up attacks and has shown his versatility but has gone back to being rather error prone as he was at the start of last season. Not really creative and has shown poor discipline.

Christophe - 5 Links well with Laurent but gives the ball away a lot. Breaks up attacks well.

Moussa - 5, Looks a bit jaded this year. There have been flashes of brilliance - he had a pretty good game when Colchester came to RH. Finds it difficult to stay wide and hasn't got much of a left foot.

Barnard - 9 Fab

Freedman - 4 Hasn't really got going although he can still play a great pass. Appears to lack pace and strength for the task now but does provide leadership on the pitch. I think that his presence at the club may well be partly responsible for Barnard's renaissance.

Scannell - 5.5 Would have been a 5 but for his performance at Brisbane Rd. Lacks awareness but has pace and willingness and can cross in a decent ball when he doesn't dither.

Walker - 4 Hasn't been good enough this season when we have really needed him to step up

Sankofa - 5 Based on the one game I remember him playing.

Herd - 6 Good little player. Good at set plays and that long throw in is a real weapon when we don't have many. Has improved in defense.

Joyce - 4 Pretty dodgy really.

Player of the half season - Lee Barnard but Mildy and Francis deserve honourable mentions.

I don't think too many players deserve much over 6. The exceptions being:

Mildenhall - 8. Has got us out of the brown stuff so many times & has been consisitent all season, more so than Barny perhaps. Most improved player of the season.

Grant - 6.5. would have got 7 if it wasn't for so many Yellow cards. Tireless workhorse is the phrase used a lot. Certainly one of our most important players.

Macca - 6.5 Similar to Grant, but his shooting apart, has made the lightweight midfield tick. A poor mans David Batty. Needs to up his scoring though

Laurent - 6.5 another frustrating player, but has been an inspiration & our most creative player.

Barny - 8.5 Perhaps deserves a higher score as without his goals, we would be lower than Stockport.

The must do better comments must go to Moussa & Francis who have both been woeful for most of the season.

Greatly improved players from last season, Herd, Laurent & Grant.

Mildenhall 8 - Improving all the time, he's made some important saves so far this season and they've been as valuable as Barnard's goals.
Joyce 5 - Reserve keeper probably on very cheap wages, looked better at Orient.

Francis 5.5 - So, so frustrating because on his day he'd be one of the best in this league.
Morrison 7.5 - I think he's a class act and can see him playing at a much higher level
Barrett 6.5 - Southend through and through but there have been a few suspect decisions.
Malone 6 - Everytime I've seen him his delivery has been woeful, average enough defender.
Herd 5 - His time will come.
Sankofa 4 - I know he's been injured but I cant recall anything that's stood out.

Laurent 7 - Another one that on his day will tear full backs to shreds.
McCormack 6 - Some of his performances have been better, but he's still a long way off being the 'Macca of old'
Grant 7 - Considering he's been played all over the place he's just got his head down and got on with it but you need a settled position to get the best out of a player.
Moussa 5 - Start of the season I really thought he would shine but he's been disappointing.
Christophe 5 - Long, long way from going back to the Prem Jeff, still I suppose you have to admire his ambition, he's very good at breaking up the play . . . . . then giving it away again.
Scannell 5.5 - Needs to be more aware of who's up with him in support, he gets the ball and it's head down and head for the corner flag.
O'Keefe - Never seen him play so unfair to give him a rating

Barnard 9 - Superb, Brilliant, Awesome
Freedman 4 - Even I'm now admitting he's past it, this season was one too far.
Walker 5 - Bags of potential but I think Tilly may now have lost patience.

Most Improved - Mildenhall
Best Player - Barnard, hands down

Last edited:
Mildenhall 8 - Much improved , had doubts about command of his area but so much better this time round.
Joyce 5 - Not seen much of him , but what I have seen not convincing.

Francis 6 - Very accomplished player , unfortunately concentration lapses have cost us too many times.
Morrison 8 - Very impressive since joining us , lack of pace may prevent him playing at a higher level.
Barrett 6 - So committed to the cause , defensively hasn't been at his best though.
Malone 6 - After a shaky start now beginning to find his feet.
Herd 5 - Obviously Tilly not convinced , think he'll come good in the end.
Sankofa 5 - Been injured too long , dependable when called on.

Laurent 7 - Has bags of ability , needs to show more consistency and have an end product.
McCormack 6.5 - Not had a great season , maybe the 4-5-1 system will help to get him back to his marauding best
Grant 8 - More positions than the Kama Sutra , now in his rightful position as holding CM. Terrific reader of the game and does a lot of the unseen stuff. Too many yellow cards a worry.
Moussa 6 - Left mid not ideal for him , as with Macca the 4-5-1 system will help him push on.
Christophe 6 - Similar player to Grant , IMO not a patch on him though.
Scannell 6 - Seems to have got over his fitness problems , does have something about him.

Barnard 8.5 - Not sure he could play at a higher level but has been superb for us this season , without his goals we'd be in deep trouble.
Freedman 5 - Brain may be there but legs have gone , very disappointing when used.
Walker 5 - Needs a run of games to get his confidence back up , however on the evidence not sure he's going to get one!

mildy - 7 hugely improved, but has times where he doesn't talk and also kicking is not the best. also stays on his line to much when he should be collecting a cross etc.

joyce - 6 only played two game which he must have been very nervous about coming into two derbies. col u you could question the second goal but be was much better against orient.

francis - 6.5 too many mistakes for me and when he makes a mistake the other team usual score from it, going forward he is so much better so i would prefer him as a right winger.

barrett - 7 dependable as ever, passionate and believes in the cause.

morrison - 8 love him, he's still learning and at times can look a little slow but he is a commanding centre back who you can easily see playing at a higher level in a few years time.

malone - 6 he's ok, deffinately got better since he first come to us. set pieces are better but still need work. does get forward good.

herd - 7 i'm a big fan of johnny and he's had a few games this season which i felt he done very well in. we always seem to want a left back in but malone is no better than herd and it can't be nice for him. but i want to see him get a good run of games.

sankofa - 6 can't really judge that much with injuries etc but he does his judge. sometimes without recognition.

moussa - 6.5 started the season really well and i had high hopes for him but in the last month or so i feel his performances have really lapsed. possibly because too many games too fast. although again a big fan i think he may need a rest. also very predictable. all that being said he's not a left winger he's a central midfielder.

laurent - 8 so much potential and a joy to watch. imo most improved player of the season so far and the skill he has is immense. the end product is starting to come as well. would like to see more goals for him but great great player.

grant - 6 made a lot of mistakes and that happened again orient but he pops up with a fantastic match winning challenge now and again.

macca - 7 got a lot better recently and he shows passion which i like. goals are far and between which is something he needs to work on. his shooting he is very poor and if he could sort this out he would be a very good midfielder. one thing i hate about macca he does he easy option by going sideways way too much. i think he needs to be a bit more brave.

christophe - 6 gives the ball away too much but he provides that bit of steel and strengh for the team. think he has something but needs to stop giving the ball away.

scanell - 6 always think this guy has something special and it is annoying him only getting a few minutes here and there and thats why i was really happy to see him start at orient but i was so dissappointed with him, his fitness is shocking for a pro footballer and his laziness is embarasing. he awareness does not seem upto scratch at all.

freedman - 5 shocker really, againhad high hopes for him and he started great with something like 4 goals out of 4 appearances but since there with have not anything like that. his legs are gone and he walks around the place. to be fair he pulls off a killer ball which no one else in the team would see but thats not enough.

barney - 8.5 purely on goals really and work rate. he tries very hard and that was again showed against orient. chasing down his own flick on's. fair play to him. i hope he doesn't move on but the way we are at the moment and no real partner up front can we really blame him.

walker - 6 always think yeah maybe he can do something today but he never does. he has the odd bright few minutes but i do think he's had his chance now.

scanell - 6 always think this guy has something special and it is annoying him only getting a few minutes here and there and thats why i was really happy to see him start at orient but i was so dissappointed with him, his fitness is shocking for a pro footballer and his laziness is embarasing. he awareness does not seem upto scratch at all.

I dont know how can say Scannell is lazy! He never stops running even when he hasn't got the ball I remember a game at home last season when he tracked back and made a brilliant block in our area.

Back