• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
At half time many fans rush to the bar/loo/burger/betting area. The playing players & coaches go to the dressing room and de-brief, re group and plan for second half. The subs pratt about on the field. Can anyone explain how they (the subs) get the benefit of the coaching wisdom and feedback of the team? What if they needed to go straight on? Should not they be in the dressing room too or is the half time entertainment on the pitch a bigger priority? & finally we seem to have got over our poor 2nd half starts so maybe things in the dressing room are progressing. Any opinions?

i agree, though tends to more be the younger players who kick it about. it also amazes me how every half-time we see feats of skill, control and passing from every player warming up, which miraculously disappear the second they actually get on the pitch...

At half time many fans rush to the bar/loo/burger/betting area. The playing players & coaches go to the dressing room and de-brief, re group and plan for second half. The subs pratt about on the field. Can anyone explain how they (the subs) get the benefit of the coaching wisdom and feedback of the team? What if they needed to go straight on? Should not they be in the dressing room too or is the half time entertainment on the pitch a bigger priority? & finally we seem to have got over our poor 2nd half starts so maybe things in the dressing room are progressing. Any opinions?

I doubt 15 mins of sitting around in the changing room will warm them up ready to take the field. At least while they are pratting about on the pitch they are keeping their muscles loose.

I doubt 15 mins of sitting around in the changing room will warm them up ready to take the field. At least while they are pratting about on the pitch they are keeping their muscles loose.

Exactly. And they'll most likely get a one-on-one talk with the manager before they are brought on.

It's not just us that do this, even in Premier League games in the cut scenes at half time you can see substitutes "pratting about" in the background. If Sir Alex never saw any benefit in having subs in on the team talk at half time, it's unlikely it's a bad thing...

They've just spent 45 mins on their backsides with the occasional run down the touchline so a bit of warming up is probably useful. Some teams have the subs doing choreographed exercises at half time others leave them to "pratt about".

They've just spent 45 mins on their backsides with the occasional run down the touchline so a bit of warming up is probably useful. Some teams have the subs doing choreographed exercises at half time others leave them to "pratt about".

That's why we have the Bluebelles isn't it?

By this logic then the 11 players who start the 2nd half are going out with muscles which have "gone cold" and tight? The half time kick about is not anyway near a warm up session; and as they aren't then going straight on is also not intended to be. My point is what is the purpose of it & although it is universally done, why? And at internationals the subs don't do it so I presume they are listening to the half time team talk stuff.

By this logic then the 11 players who start the 2nd half are going out with muscles which have "gone cold" and tight? The half time kick about is not anyway near a warm up session; and as they aren't then going straight on is also not intended to be. My point is what is the purpose of it & although it is universally done, why? And at internationals the subs don't do it so I presume they are listening to the half time team talk stuff.

I've seen them do the same thing at internationals. The subs don't need to listen to the team talk because they're not in the team. If and when they come on then the manager/coach will talk to them there and then.

I doubt there's any real physical benefit to messing around on the pitch at half time, but it's a bit of fun and a chance for the players who have been on their arse most of the first half to get up and play with a ball.

Players who are coming straight on will generally be told to get warm 5 mins before HT, they will go in for the talk then.

I'm sure when somebody's coming on at the start of the second half they stay in the dressing room and don't warm up at half time with the other subs.

It is very necessary to have the opportunity for ball contact as well as keeping muscles loose and warm following inactivity on the bench in case a substitution is made. As a fan, at half time I prepare for what might be needed from me in the stands during the 2nd half by consuming Ale and a Pie whilst picking my nose and scratching my balls.

It is very necessary to have the opportunity for ball contact as well as keeping muscles loose and warm following inactivity on the bench in case a substitution is made. As a fan, at half time I prepare for what might be needed from me in the stands during the 2nd half by consuming Ale and a Pie whilst picking my nose and scratching my balls.
That is multi-tasking, holding a pint and eating a pie is hands full! How can you pick your nose and scratch your balls at the same time too?

That is multi-tasking, holding a pint and eating a pie is hands full! How can you pick your nose and scratch your balls at the same time too?

Even more so when you consider that many pies fall to pieces as they are consumed and therefore require both hands to ensure that the contents (of the pie case) end up in the stomach and not the floor.

Part of the messing around is no doubt to alleviate the boredom and to give them a feel for the pitch and the ball which no doubt sinks into their highly tuned footballing brains. Otherwise, seeing the subs give us (the fans) the chance to discuss their relative positions within the club and potential changes for the second half. Well, we discuss the position if it wasn't for the ever present man with a microphone droning on about some rubbish for most of the time. :stunned:

At half time ,I usually have a quick hand shandy in the toilets while holding 3 pictures of Linda lusardi now that's multi-tasking!

Often when I've seen players who have had to come on at the start of the half, they have warmed up separately at HT with a coach. Just me?

Back