• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Halifax Town v Southend United, Saturday 11th September, 3.00pm, NL

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 66 84.6%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 60 76.9%
  • John White

Votes: 56 71.8%
  • Josh Coulson

• Nathan Ralph

Votes: 51 65.4%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 65 83.3%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 64 82.1%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 59 75.6%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Matt Dennis

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 64 82.1%
  • Sam Dalby

• Louis Walsh

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Hamzad Kargbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lewis Gard

• O'Shane Stewart

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Rob Howard

• Charlie Sayers

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Win

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Halifax - a town probably better known for its building society than its football team - is the furthest away destination so far this season for the blues so it is likely that the number of fans following the team up to Yorkshire will be fewer than at Kings Lynn or Wealdstone.

The current FC Halifax Town is a replacement club for the former Halifax Town AFC who were wound up in 2008 with huge debts to the HMRC among others. That former club had quite a few links with the Blues, no less than three of their managers in the last 10 years of their existence were former blues players (Dave Worthington, Peter Butler and Alan Little). Phil Brown is also a former "Shayman", as he says in his pre-match interview.

The phoenix club had to work their way up from the Northern Premier League Division One North (Tier 8 of English Football) but are now firmly established in the National League, finishing 10th last season. Their results this season have been mixed with defeats at home to Maidenhead and away at Yeovil and Wins at home to Altrincham and away at Woking. They sold last season's top scorer, Jake Hyde, for an undisclosed fee to Hollywood FC Wrexham, and highly rated midfield, Jack Earing, to Walsall in the close season and have signed 10 new players with the proceeds.

Blues will no doubt be encouraged by last Saturday's draw with pre-season favourites Wrexham, although a draw after being 2-0 never feels quite the same. Nevertheless the performance was positive and there is much to build on.

Of most concern is whether Nathan Ralph will be sufficiently recovered from his concussion to make the trip, with the injury to Abu Ogogo as well the squad is already starting to look a bit threadbare and we're only in September.

So who would you start on Saturday, and what do you think the result will be?

Last edited:
If all fit, same starting 11, feel confident for a win after watching our game and then Halifax on BT last Saturday

i think it will be interesting to see how the team plays and have they changed from the last few seasons one game good another terrible so lets hope it`s a wrexham performance and not a wealdstone one , think most of us there thought it should have ben 3 points against the part timers .

Just made it up here - a couple of days touring the Peak District beckons before the match.

Ex Shrimper/Shaymen Dave and Bob Worthington, Alan Little and Kevin Johnson will all be at the game.

Phil Brown knows both Dave and Alan, and like them is also a former Halifax player

Right, now to clean up in the pub quiz in Old Glossop this eve - just banking on a Southend United round to play the joker on

I can't remember the date of my last visit to The Shay - I am going to say more than 25 years ago.

I am hoping that the pitch is in good condition - it should be this early in the season - there is rain forecast for Friday but Saturday will be warm - perhaps muggy.

Halifax had a crowd of 1,941 for their home game to Altrincham (they won 2-0).

And I think the Halifax manager was sent off during their last game which was a 1-0 defeat to Yeovil.

Anyone know the ticket details? I presume it is pay at the gate?

1980/81 - we did the 5-1 double home and away against the Shaymen.

Gray 2, Moody, Cusack and Spence there and Moody, Cusack (pen) Gray, Pountney and Spence at home.
i was at the shay that game i`m not a 100% but i`m sure dave cusack scored a fantastic goal from a long way out , it was sure a long coach journey way back then .

With the supporters coach now full going to Halifax. Is anyone driving up there and have 2 spaces for me and my son (12). We are from Basildon. Let us know if possible? Cheers.

I wonder how many will make the trip north.

Our away support so far has been fantastic so it would be great to see 600+ away. Especially as they are doing a great offer for the kids too.

Halifax are now tweeting that all ankle-biters (under 12's), even away ones, go free on Saturday
Great news. Basically every primary school in Southend borough could bus kids up north and attend for free and watch us inevitability lose 2-0 ensuring Southend’s support is decimated for a generation. Canny bastards Halifax

same teamif Ralph fit otherwise White to the left side and Hobson in, Subs Seadon, Atkinson, Oshane Stewart, Dennis, Sayers.

Back