• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
Another good win today and for me we will be going up this season without much doubt.

But the thing I have in the back of my mind is the consistent performances of Ryan Hall and Kane Ferdinand.

For me as each match passes the more the interest from elsewhere increases.

There must be a chance a few Clubs will try and acquire the services of these two with Bids as early as January.

If so what would your valuations of these two players for you to even consider selling?

It brings me back to the issue of their contracts. Time flies and as soon as Jan passes we will arrive to end of the season in no time and when we get to that point their value will dip as they will only have one year left on their existing deals.

I hope at some stage this season The Club begin talks with them about second extentions. It is the least the club can do to assure supporters we do have long term objectives to sustain suiccess ( added on to this season's certain promotion) beyond the next 18 months.

I fear however the more these stay consistently good chances are they will turn them down anyway because eventually they'll want to boost their earning credetials with a bigger club on a bigger stage like the Championship. The interest will be there.

I believe according to Barry Fry in the summer Peterborough are constantly monitoring Ferdinand. They can't fail to have been impressed with him so far so an offer must be hot on the trail soon.

Possibly even more so with Hall.

Back to today a good battling performance. Back at the top of the League again and in all honesty cannot see us not going up.

150k for Ferdinand, 250k for Hall. If we go up and keep them and they prove themselves well in league 1 we can look at putting the price up!

150k for Ferdinand, 250k for Hall. If we go up and keep them and they prove themselves well in league 1 we can look at putting the price up!

They are worth a lot more to us to keep then and secure promotion...I think there would have to be much bigger money than that offered for us to sell...We need to get out of this shyte league big time.

TBH at the moment they are priceless and should not be for sale, time will come for talking about new contracts but that time is not yet here IMO. It is still early days in this season, we're only a third in and a lot can change.

Last season Kane's form dropped off towards the end and although he is going well at the moment I think that very little would be gained right now by giving him other things to worry about besides his football. We saw what happened to Grant's form after all the transfer talk last January, we really don't want that with too many players with the chance we have this season.

Plus any contract talks will get agents talking to the club and if they don't think they're being offered enough that could end up unsettling the players and encouraging others to come sniffing in January.

Would suggest that next February or March will be plenty early enough for players contracted here until 2013.

Pretty much agree with Cockle, Hall should definitely not be for sale at the moment (barring some massive offer - 1.5-2m+). There will definitely be bigger teams interested, if not then they all need to sack their managers for not noticing the lad let alone their scouting network.

Hall seems to be going onto much bigger things than SUFC, but I'd hope he respects we took him from non-league, and for now we're top of the league, hoping to go up, why leave now when you're playing so well and already looking to move up the divisions?

Ferdinand on the other hand, I've not seen much of him due to living away, but I do rate him. Not massively, he's certainly not indispensible with Kalala and Grant, so for me I'd take a 350-500k offer with clauses. Don't ever see us getting that though.

Hall is indispensible at the moment, Ferdinand is a good player by all accounts with a good career ahead of him, but we'd be crazy to turn down a big offer for the lad.

We would never get 500k for Ferdinand in League 2. Hall was brilliant today, be a big shame to lose him in January. We looked as good as Chesterfield last year; I'm very confident this squad can maintain the standard which will inevitably see us go up.

Hall ££200/250,000
Ferdinand £150,000 maybe, given the fact who is cousin is ;)

Je, what is it with people - can't we just enjoy where we are and stop putting a downer of everything; 'Sturrock is going to Plymouth', 'We're going to lose all our players in January'. No-one knows what will happen between now and January, in January, or after January, so therefore can't we just be happy and worry about things when they actually happen rather than wasting energy on something we have no idea about or any control over.

Sorry for the rant, just frustrates me that people seem to get off being negative all the time (and I'm referring to people in general not just on this board :sad:)

Je, what is it with people - can't we just enjoy where we are and stop putting a downer of everything; 'Sturrock is going to Plymouth', 'We're going to lose all our players in January'. No-one knows what will happen between now and January, in January, or after January, so therefore can't we just be happy and worry about things when they actually happen rather than wasting energy on something we have no idea about or any control over.

Sorry for the rant, just frustrates me that people seem to get off being negative all the time (and I'm referring to people in general not just on this board :sad:)

I feel this is an interesting topic with some valid points, however Jay_SUFC is right - let's just enjoy where we are at the moment and that's TOP OF THE LEAGUE :thumbsup:

And besides - if we keep on this run, we will almost be up by January anyways :winking:

One last note, Hall is awesome and owes us till at least the summer after we stuck by him :Worthy:

If we do go up (touch wood) both will double there money at the club as it's in there contracts. As ferdinands wages will double to £1300 so can't see Kane wanting to leave in January

It is a valid topic to debate and one I hope the Club reads if possible. If new deals aren't on the agenda soon then it will be devastating to lose Hall and Ferdinand for nothing eventually if they wind their contracts down. It'll be the Gower and Clarke situation all over again. Don't forget Grant, Barker and Bilel are out of contract at the end of this season.

One last note, Hall is awesome and owes us till at least the summer after we stuck by him :Worthy:
I'm not sure how much loyalty players feel......certainly nothing like the loyalty we, as supporters, do. Kane could have gone last summer, I suspect we will be in the same boat with him this year. I think (I'm sure YB or Smiffy will produce evidence) we have rather a lot out of contract this summer so I really hope discussions are held sooner rather than later and sensible deals are struck.

I think if it's a toss up between staying at Southend, getting promoted, getting a bit of a payrise and playing in L1 with a bunch of players you know well, have gelled well with and play well with OR moving to a L1 team, getting a payrise, not sure ur going to get a game, taking time to gel etc etc.....I know what I'd choose.

Top, Top post Jay SUFC, echos my sentiments exactly, well said.

I seem to recall some supporters were unhappy at Gower and Clarke leaving for nothing to the point they criticized the Board for leaving it late in offering deals or not doing enough about it.

Which is precisely why Hall and Ferdinand should have their contracts reviewed and revised soon even if theres don't expire for a season and a half. If they signed again we'd get a little more still out of them especially if form is maintained.

But Certainly deals must be offered very very soon to Barker, Grant and Bilel. Theres are up in June.

And we all know the importance of a long-term, settled squad.

As I said previously to ignore it will be sweeping this under the carpet. Time will fly by and before you know it their value will dip. Grant, Bilel and Barker's value have already gone down since the summer.

But in Hall and Ferdinand especially they are too good to get nothing for.

I'am enjoying the position we're in at the moment and believe we will maintain our top 3 status but you can't ignore contracts of very very good players. especially when no players here at the moment have contracts very much for the long term. I'm not saying they should be here for years and years but maybe an extra 12 months.

Did you listen to the interview with the Macc manager on the BBC web site? Basically:

Hall is class.
Everyone is raving about Ferdinand and they've come from all over the country to watch him.

Why, as we are top of the league, would we want to sell these players (or any player) at any point???????
We won't get promotion by doing this so it is pointless........

My POINT is clear lol!

No not to sell them but to extend their contracts so we are not under pressure to sell them next summer. If they don't sign then we may want a little money for them rather than nothing. yes get promotion out of the way first.

I think if it's a toss up between staying at Southend, getting promoted, getting a bit of a payrise and playing in L1 with a bunch of players you know well, have gelled well with and play well with OR moving to a L1 team, getting a payrise, not sure ur going to get a game, taking time to gel etc etc.....I know what I'd choose.

Absolutely...it's a no brainer. The one that pays the most.

Back