• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hammell - Thanks

I am very sad to see Stevie go. I thought he was a superb player, and certainly one of my favourite in my time as a Southend fan. He has been terrific for us in the last 18 months, scoring a couple in the process.

It worries me who is going to take set pieces now, because Gower just cant (history indicates). Hammell is in my opinion the best set piece taker we have ever had at the Hall.

Nice touch what he has added on the OS with his comments. Good to see a player appreciate the fans welcoming him with open arms and loving him during his time.

A little surprised he says his family could not settle, as it was his wife who fell in love with Southend when he looked around reportedly.

One extra thought, Motherwell have sold the left back they tried to replace Hammell with for £250,000, and re-signed the player they always wanted for less than half of this, so I am very disappointed we did not hold out for more to be honest, got to have been worth at least £200,000 of Motherwell's cash.

I am a very unhappy Shrimper right now, thanks for everything Stevie, and all the best back at Motherwell, I look forward to hopefully seeing you in Europe next season, and back in the International set up!!

Regarding cost if we held onto him past today he would have left for nothing.

£110,000 for a player we got for free with only 4 months left isnt bad.

It's a lot more money than I thought we'd be able to squeeze out of Motherwell. I think they're far worse off financially than we are and could have taken him on a free in the summer.

From a footballing perspective it's a huge blow as IMO Stevie Hammell is pure class. Definitely the best fullback we've had in ten years. I wish him all the best for the future.

Mulgrew will take over his set pieces.

It was his child that fell in love with Southend. His wife always found it tough.

A shame, but Mulgrew's signing has softened the blow as I believe he could be a shrewd, yet corking signing. Just quite disappointed we only got him on loan, but hopefully we'll make it permanent in the summer.

totally agree..
was about to start a a kind of thread like this..

really rated him highly, and feel it's a great shame that we never really got to praise him properly..

a great player, and very underrated in my books

good luck steve! We've loved having you here..

dont want to be too horrible but he was only ok IMO, to get 110,000 for a free transfer is good buisness, showed he wasn quite championship material but good in league 1, lovely set pieces and never doubt his commitment good luck stevie.

Regarding cost if we held onto him past today he would have left for nothing.

£110,000 for a player we got for free with only 4 months left isnt bad.
Exactly, as I was explaining to ozzy-shrimper earlier:

If he stayed, thats 110k lost, add to that the 2k a week he's probably on, meaning in 5 months of wages thats 40k.

110k+40k=150k. Thats £7,500 a week we'd basically be paying him to stay. He wants to go and it's financially viable so it's a good bit of business.

Thanks for everything Stevie.

The move you made was a big one, especially in terms of distance, for a 24-25 year old with a young family to make. Plus you'd been at motherwell for so long! You always put in committed, whole-hearted displays and you really looked to be a classy player with a great first touch and attacking instinct. I'm very sorry to see our best full-back in 10 years leave.

I wish you my best back in Scotland and hope that you gety to play in Europe next season and pull on the shirt for Scotland again :)

Thats £7,500 a week we'd basically be paying him to stay

And quite bizarrely the figure a certain Mr Eastwood wanted to come back, Uncle Ron said no can do so he's off to Norwich or Ipswich tonight

(source: elmo putney .. before anyone asks)

Back to Hammy ... cheers for all your efforts, and at least you gave us a proper leaving present with the assist for Tuesdays winner, unlike a certain other player i mentioned in this post .. good luck back in Jocko land :)

Thanks for being a real pro stevie. I wish you well back in scotland and hope you get the international recognition you deserve soon enough.

Always welcome at the hall.

And quite bizarrely the figure a certain Mr Eastwood wanted to come back, Uncle Ron said no can do so he's off to Norwich or Ipswich tonight

(source: elmo putney .. before anyone asks)

Back to Hammy ... cheers for all your efforts, and at least you gave us a proper leaving present with the assist for Tuesdays winner, unlike a certain other player i mentioned in this post .. good luck back in Jocko land :)

606 were saying Eastwood to Bolton!! :-0

Indeed. I can only echo what people have said. Stevie had a bit of class about him which others sadly lack at times. From what i have heard, he is top class both on and off field and its been obvious for a few weeks that he/his family wasn't settled down here.

Best of luck to him and hope he gets back into the Scottish fold!

Kev

Best of luck Stevie, really gonna miss your link up play with Gower and your dead ball ability. Nice leaving gift for us in the week as well.

Hope to see you in the Scotland squad soon.

Quality player, a real sad loss for the club, but clearly financially viable.

Back