• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hamstel Road - "The Greatest Road Ever Built"

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
My laddo and I were wandering out of the Kingfisher chip shop near the White Horse the other night and took a stroll down Hamstel Road to get home. He became quite animated when he noted that included by the roadside was a couple of Chinese take-aways, a kebab shop, a corner shop, an off-licence, Sweet Heaven, a chippy, and a newsagent all within about 200 yards of each other. At one end of the road is the White Horse and at the other end is a McDonalds and Garons Park. He declared Hamstel Road "the greatest road ever built."

I can see his point as the length of the road can't even be a mile yet you have everything you would ever need in one small street - remember, it also has a chemist, butcher and car dealer. Can any other road in Southend match this in such a short distance?

Having attended Hamstel Infant and Junior schools I have a fondness for this road. Many a small sum of pence was exchanged in Mackenzies newsagents for Football 81/2/3/4 stickers. I also got my computer magazines from Johnsons, the old owner of that one (Ken) still bowls in the bowling league I'm in.

Also rented a fair few videos from Hamstel Video.

Having attended Hamstel Infant and Junior schools I have a fondness for this road. Many a small sum of pence was exchanged in Mackenzies newsagents for Football 81/2/3/4 stickers. I also got my computer magazines from Johnsons, the old owner of that one (Ken) still bowls in the bowling league I'm in.

Also rented a fair few videos from Hamstel Video.

Hamstel video - is now a dry cleaners so you can add that to the list as well. Johnsons used to be on the corner of Hamstel and Soutchurch Road - but before that it used to be a few doors down - When it was a few doors down it originally used to be owned by a family called the Goodrums and it was the best little shop not just in Hamstel Road but in the whole of Southend - It was the front room of a house which they opened up into a shop. Next door used to be a shop which sold all sorts of cleaning things which had a really strange smell!

What about Southchurch Rd, between Belle Vue Rd and Chase Rd, umpteen takeaways all next to each other and an off licence on the other side of the road.

What about Southchurch Rd, between Belle Vue Rd and Chase Rd, umpteen takeaways all next to each other and an off licence on the other side of the road.

Thats my manor jassy, and i can confirm it is indeed batchelor heaven

and don't forget the 2 supermarkets for that dreaded "3 weeks since payday" feeling when one is actually forced to cook :stunned:

I grew up down Southchurch Road, it has always been a Mecca for take away food. Sunus was I believe the first Indian in Southend, Man Fung (George's) probably the first Chinese and the Porta Via (now the Kingfisher) was famed for it's spare ribs. No wonder I grew up to be such a fat *******.

I can't believe they managed to cram even more crap food emporiums down there, surely they can't all make money!

My parents both went to Hamstel school, and my grandparents lived in Castleton Road which runs parallel.

Don't forget lee... There is also 2 Hairdressers, a betting shop, Window firm (Southern glass), Taxi firm (Radio cars) trying to to think of others...

Back