• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Look, rule 1 in business is always try and use someone else's money rather than your own.

By deferring the tax bill, especially as HMRC charge interest on unpaid tax currently at 0% (or very close to it) it becomes a very cheap loan.

I genuinely believe that RM was hoping to defer and defer and defer the tax bill until the 11th hour and then some. He isn't the only businessman to do this and it is not, despite some assertions on here, financial mismanagement.

It is all to do with the legal identities of companies and individuals - and this is where the waters get muddied.

But once companies start borrowing money, then financial institutions want personal guarantees from the directors.

The key here is to make the company survive on it's own rather than keep bailing it out with finance, which cripples it in the long term. That means that, on occasions, creditors are not paid on time. Every company does it. It's how they survive.

Once the banks know there are personal guarantees, they can be as ruthless as they like as their assets are no longer at risk. So - if RM offers up personal guarantees for any borrowing, then it's his own personal assets at risk. I wouldn't do that (having done it once and nearly lost everything) and most professional advice is that it shouldn't be done. It really is a last resort.

So - getting any money from the banks is a non starter. Or at least it has been, until now.

What HMRC have done is forced an issue. They've given RM a week to stop borrowing their money.

Everyone here has been wobbling on about a crisis, it's the worst time ever, and jesus I'm not saying anything good has happened today. However, things could get far worse before the word "crisis" becomes apparent.

At this moment in time, we still have a fairly decent first XI (ok, we're a couple of defenders short and we have no reserves but we can still compete on the pitch). When our youth teamers are regularly in the side, we can claim crisis.

We aren't yet in administration with a 10 point deduction. When or if we ever are, it's not good, but doesn't mean we'll go down. When we are in the bottom 2 of league 2, then we can claim crisis.

We still have a decent following. When the crowds are down to 1000 again, we can claim crisis.

We still have the best management pairing this club has ever had. When we see Dick Bate as a viable option for caretaker manager, then we can claim crisis.

We may not own the ground but whilst we still have RH and the new stadium in the pipeline we are no worse off than we were last week. When we have to groundshare with Gillingham, we can claim crisis.

At the moment (or at least before today), taxman aside, RM was pretty much in control of all monies owed. He was the main creditor.

Now however, he is in danger of losing out big time. Not only that, didn't the accounts show directors loans outstanding? They also will be standing to lose. So, it's in the directors interests to raise £700K in a week.

It isn't a massive amount of money in business terms. If there was nothing on the horizon, then I'm sure any prudent businessman would not throw good money after bad. They'd let the club go into administration and start again, hopefully coming out stronger in a few years time. It's happened to plenty of clubs before and it'll happen again. The fault doesn't lie necessarily with RM - football as an industry is just not viable as too much is paid out in wages. Don't forget, we've had people on here moaning that we weren't splashing the cash and breaking the wage budget to get certain players. I can't be bothered to check, but I'll wager they are the same ones who are moaning now.

Now that would have been financial mis-management.

Personally I fully expect RM to have this debt settled by next week. He may have to bite the bullet and offer that personal guarantee to a bank. HMR&C's stance has effectively meant that if he doesn't, he personally loses loads anyway, so he may well take the view that it now won't make any difference.

The banks at the moment are lending. All you have to do is offer some collateral.

All you have to do is offer some collateral.

What does the club have by way of any collateral? And since when did any bank allow for the drawing down of £700k in the space of less than a week...?

Ron's bluff has been called, and his statement today had the ring of a man who has been caught out.

:(

What does the club have by way of any collateral? And since when did any bank allow for the drawing down of £700k in the space of less than a week...?

Ron's bluff has been called, and his statement today had the ring of a man who has been caught out.

:(

The club doesn't.

RM and the directors probably have.

Maybe, maybe not. If they've already got mortgages on their houses, then not.

Maybe.

But you get my point?

HMRC have turned push to shove.

I don't think the problem will be getting the money. I think the fact it's needed in a week will be the stumbling block.

Maybe Ron could ask everyone to take out a credit card, £3000 credit limit from 250 people write a cheque to SUFC bish bash bosh, out of trouble.

Or even get 250 people to queue up at the tax office and whack on their card then get Ron to come round personally thank everyone and pass on the cash on the payment come Sainsbury's payday.

Maybe Ron could ask everyone to take out a credit card, £3000 credit limit from 250 people write a cheque to SUFC bish bash bosh, out of trouble.
Excellent, why not make some glossy brochures and create a Share Issue?

I can't be bothered to start another thread as there are enough on here, but I agree with FBM.

I am not in the least bit worried by all this, and frankly, am glad I've not be on the main parts of SZ for a while. When this all blows over, stand by for a big fat, I told you so.

I can't be bothered to start another thread as there are enough on here, but I agree with FBM.

I am not in the least bit worried by all this, and frankly, am glad I've not be on the main parts of SZ for a while. When this all blows over, stand by for a big fat, I told you so.

Part of me feels you are right also. I have steered well clear of here or I would probably slit my wrists given that normally a league defeat to a decent side often gets the grizzlers out in force.
I did become more concerned when the BBC had us as its main item earlier, but reason tells me that until anything happens we are still midtable in league 1 and are not in administration. I am no expert on Ron Martin but I cant believe he got where he is today by being an idiot in business. I am waiting for the statement before the weekend, and in the meantime avoiding all the emails from idiot premiership work colleagues who seem to think this is amusing

Maybe.
I don't think the problem will be getting the money. I think the fact it's needed in a week will be the stumbling block.

This is the point Uncle Ron was making in his statement earlier today.

Your first post on this thread was very well constructed and nicely sums up part of the situation. I think it'll happen and the debt will be cleared, but I would rather we had a month than a week.

Part of me feels you are right also. I have steered well clear of here or I would probably slit my wrists given that normally a league defeat to a decent side often gets the grizzlers out in force.
I did become more concerned when the BBC had us as its main item earlier, but reason tells me that until anything happens we are still midtable in league 1 and are not in administration. I am no expert on Ron Martin but I cant believe he got where he is today by being an idiot in business. I am waiting for the statement before the weekend, and in the meantime avoiding all the emails from idiot premiership work colleagues who seem to think this is amusing

I've avoided those so far but was on an "early" so left at 3 today

I work with an idiot W*** H** fan who pretends to take an interest in The Shrimpers, that is not a problem .. more potentially ominous is an utter prick of a Col Ewe "fan" who doesn't go to games and knows absolutely **** all about the beautiful game but thinks it funny to wind me up at every given opportunity .. my only saving grace is that his boss is a Blues fan who (hopefully) will look the other way when i smash the ****ing dick to a pulp if he dare utter a word about this

We've been in similar positions before, when the club really was up **** creek. Like the John Main era 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, but in the grand scheme of things, £660 grand doesn't seem that much. Granted, I don't have £660,000 behind the sofa (£50 short, otherwise I'd just pay this myself) but our lowest home gate this season so far, is 21 people short of 7000.

I'll state here, that I trust that Ron Martin has, is, and will continue to work his bollocks off for this club.

Now, to my mind, if Ron Martin knew he couldn't solve this problem, then he could have enlisted the help of the Trust, and the fans since the day HMRC issued their first petition/order. With 7000 fans every week, an extra quid on the ticket price could have brought in nearly £50k. Add to that the Trust/fans fund raising, and whilst it probably wouldn't raise the full amount, it would certainly help.

Panicing doesn't help anything, so don't panic.

A west ham fan in my office had a chuckle earlier, so I reminded him that £660k is 1% of their debt and he was quiet. Also, 0.1% of Man Utds debt for anyone who is bothered by one of those. About 0.5% of Arsenals too. Our problem is who the debt is with, but reading FBMs post I hope he's right.

Back