• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Happy Birthday to Robert Zimmerman

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
So Bob Dylan turns 70 today. Favourite songs/albums/moments? Not an easy task, but my top three songs right now (because it could just as easily be a different three next week) would be:

Tangled Up In Blue
Like A Rolling Stone
Buckets Of Rain

Happy birthday Bob, here's to the next 70 :stunned:

My fave three:

Tangled up in Blue (just pure genius).
Hurricane
Stuck inside of Mobile....

Happy Birthday Bob !!!

There's so many great great Dylan tracks but for me these are the top 3 (and in time honoured fashion) in reverse order ...

3. Blowin' in the Wind

2. Like a Rolling Stone

1. Positively 4th Street .. the lyrics are amazing, probably the greatest "put down" song of all time??

You’ve got a lot of nerve to say you are my friend
When I was down you just stood there grinning

You’ve got a lot of nerve to say you’ve got a helping hand to lend
You just want to be on the side that’s winning

You say I let you down - you know it’s not like that
If you’re so hurt, why then don’t you show it

You say you lost your faith but that not where it’s at
You had no faith to lose and you know it

I know the reasons that you talk behind my back
I used to be among the crowd you’re in with

Do you take me for such a fool to think I’d make contact
The one who tries to hide what he don’t know to begin with

You see me on the street - you always act surprised
You say “How are you? Good luck.” but you don’t mean it

When you know as well as me you’d rather see me paralyzed
Why don’t you just come out once and scream it

No I don’t feel that good when I see the heartaches you embrace
If I was a master thief perhaps I’d rob them

I know you’re dissatisfied with your position and your place
But don’t you understand it’s not my problem

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment I could be you

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
You’d know what a drag it is to see you

We were talking about this at the folk club on Friday.I've got too many favorites to narrow down easily but three that come to mind are:-
Tangled up in Blue
It's alright Ma
Jokerman.

Happy Birthday Sir Bob.

Always used to love hearing 'Like A Rolling Stone' on The Smack's juke box despite the punk revolution around that time ... his 'Nashville Skyline' voice was beautiful particularly on 'Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You' ... and I've a special fondness for 'If You See Her, Say Hello' ... but like Uncle Leo says, my top three will change again pretty soon.

Here's three, but I'll post this and then come up with another three.

Mr Tambourine Man
The Times They Are a Changin'
Subterranean Homesick Blues

I'm just off to meet SUFCEssex for a pint .. i'll think i'll take some Bob along to serenade me on my way :smile:

I've never really made my mind about The Zim - I appreciate how important he was, and how widespread his influence was, but let's face it he was only *really* relevant for about the first 6 or 7 years of his career. I know a lot of people rate Desire and BOTT as his best albums, but he was essentially old hat by then in the grander scheme of things. His music has never truly touched me in the way many of his peers has, but when he was vital there was definitely something about him and I do find him fascinating - I can watch Don't Look Back and all the old Newport footage over and over, and I do have a few favourite songs...

Tears of Rage
When the Ship Comes In
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

Without doubt my favourite musician, and surely the greatest lyricist of all time.

1) Changing of the Guard
2) Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
3) Things Have Changed

Saw him and Van Morrison live at Wembley Arena in '97, ranks high in my gigging experiences.

I forget how much I love bob and experience such joy rediscovering.

Don't Think Twice
Shooting Star
Like A Rolling Stone

Back