• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Poor form dwb. It's when Sir Stanley crossed from the left and Bert sidefooted in just under the cross bar at the South Stand end to beat the Spammers. What a night.

Wore my "Southend 1 West Ham 0" shirt with pride at Accrington - how things have changed.

Is it really 18 years ago! Better than beating Man U in my opinion.

Happy St Angells Day one and all! :happy:

I will never forget the looks on the dirty spammers faces sitting in the west. Makes you feel all warm & fuzzy.

Wore my "Southend 1 West Ham 0" shirt with pride at Accrington - how things have changed.

Is it really 18 years ago! Better than beating Man U in my opinion.

It does feel like just yesterday that Keith Jones was spraying it out wide to a ramaging Stanley Victor Collymore, who made a mug of Steve Potts, before crossing it in for Brettie Angell to smash home off the underside of the bar to shut up all those *****.

We had a young Simon Royce making just his second ever first team appearance and he played a blinder but the entire XI were heroes.

We actually had a bloody good side. Most of them went onto play premier$hite football and two went onto play for England.

What a night and what a side! Considering the shower of ***** we put up with from Murphy that season, was all made worthwhile by us getting Fry in, Collymore signed (albeit by Crazy Colin) and beating the hamsters.

Start of one of the greatest periods in my time following the blues, but just serves to remind what would have happened if Brady and Sullivan didnt come calling...?

As previously mentioned apart from the goal my main memory was Roycies goal keeping that night, we often talk quite rightly of Flavs v Man U but Roycies performance that night was the best I have ever seen from a Southend goalie. Got home put the score up on teletext and just sat there looking at it till midnight, yes sad I know but a night to be savoured.

Also mention must go to the North Bankers who swiftly and deftly dealt with a couple of scummers giving it large in OUR stand :smile:

A wonderful Wonderful night. Reading the thread gave me goosebumps !

Possibly my favourite SUFC moment tbh

My top 5 are

West Ham
Newcastle New years day
Man U
Liverpool
Lincoln at the Milstad

My top 5 are

West Ham
Newcastle New years day
Man U
Liverpool
Lincoln at the Milstad

Would take beating Fry and the Brum Scum on New Year's Day over Newcastle - just.

Match report in the Independent

My top 5 are

West Ham
Newcastle New years day
Man U
Liverpool
Lincoln at the Milstad

Bury?

Would take beating Fry and the Brum Scum on New Year's Day over Newcastle - just.

Agreed. Not sure I've ever wanted us to win a game more than I did that one and not only did we win but it could easily have been double figures as IIRC we had a couple disallowed, hit the woodwork and Ian Bennett in the Birmingham goal put in the best individual display I've ever seen.

But I think beating the scum 18 years ago beats even that.

Last edited:
Listened at home on Capital Gold! it didnt appear we got out of our own half in the second half and I was sweating like a pig by the end of it!

Back