• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Happy St George’s Day!

Isn't it strange how St George's day isn't remembered, advertised or celebrated by most. And the flag, well, that creates bad feeling, even tho it's our National flag. I put up my cross of St George England flag during the 2018 World cup, and got asked to remove it by my foreign neighbour, as they were offended. I said, you must be joking. This is our National flag, and I'm showing my support for my National team. I said the flag stays up until England are knocked out of the World cup. This must be the only country that people have a go at you for putting your National flag up.

Because a huge brewer pumps millions into it every year.

A few years ago St Patricks day fell on a Sunday. Guinness promoted a St Patricks Eve on Saturday so they could cash in on a non school night.

Most of those St Patrick Day parades in America have nothing to do with beer.

Many in the US are from Irish descent and many other national days are also widely celebrated.

And there you have it. St Patrick is not really about celebrating St Patrick. It's really about celebrating being Irish and the Irish culture. We have taken to it as a good chance to have a p up in a happy event. Hence the brewery's taking advantage. St George should be the same, to celebrate being English.

I've never understood that - seems to me that far more English people celebrate St Patrick's Day than St George's Day. Can't all have Irish blood in them...
I've got blood of both English and Irish heritage, so I equally celebrate both. It's still perplexing that people feel wrong to celebrate England's national day.

I suppose I'm also an outlier as a younger person, not many people my age even seem to know what day it is today.

And there you have it. St Patrick is not really about celebrating St Patrick. It's really about celebrating being Irish and the Irish culture. We have taken to it as a good chance to have a p up in a happy event. Hence the brewery's taking advantage. St George should be the same, to celebrate being English.

Lot's of people spend St George's day complaining - what could be more English than that?

To be fair to True Blue, my flag was objected to on religious grounds, as my other neighbour told me the father and son said I was shoving Christianity down their throat. I didn't even think of that when putting it up, I was showing my support for England in the World Cup.

:Headbang: and this is probably why people don't bother celebrating St George's Day anymore...

For me, I think of my family who have passed, all done their bit to contribute to England as a country. Some of them servicemen, some were miners, some just good honest people who were an example to their community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it strange how St George's day isn't remembered, advertised or celebrated by most. And the flag, well, that creates bad feeling, even tho it's our National flag. I put up my cross of St George England flag during the 2018 World cup, and got asked to remove it by my foreign neighbour, as they were offended. I said, you must be joking. This is our National flag, and I'm showing my support for my National team. I said the flag stays up until England are knocked out of the World cup. This must be the only country that people have a go at you for putting your National flag up.

It's certainly a big deal here in Catalonia-(La Diada de) Sant Jordi.The (rather sexist) tradition is for the guy to buy his sweetheart a rose and the girl to buy her partner a book.I'd be happy to give it a miss (paying out for the wife and our two daughters growing up used to cost me a fortune) but my wife atill insists on her rose! TBF,I'm quite happy with my (second-hand) book too!.Good for the local florists and bookshops if nothing else.

Last edited:
Back