• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hard or Soft Brexit?

What should happen?

• Hard Brexit

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Soft Brexit

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Another referendum on the terms of the Brexit deal

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Forget it all and remain

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Bart

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
:net:

Fairly obviously,because the negotiations are likely to be a lot more complex than the British people are being led to believe by the endless repetiton of the mantra "strong and stable government".That won't be anywhere near enough,on its own, I'm afraid.As I've suggested before, I doubt if the EU care at all about the size of the Tory party majority going into negotiations.

Sorry Barna, it won't be the British people leading the negotiations....it will be a team appointed by whoevers in Government that has been elected by the British people.

Were you hoping to get a spot on the gig?:winking:

Sorry Barna, it won't be the British people leading the negotiations....it will be a team appointed by whoevers in Government that has been elected by the British people.

Were you hoping to get a spot on the gig?:winking:

Thanks.But I'm well aware that there will be a team led by David Davis,assuming the Tories do win the election,as seems likely. It's whether the team will be up to the job that I question.Far above my particular skill set,in any case.:raspberry:

"The Brexit secretary, David Davis, suggested on Friday that the economy and public services were dependent on getting a good deal from the negotiations to leave the European Union."

He's right you know.

Today's news is all about immigration though.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/19/uk-needs-more-immigrants-to-avoid-brexit-catastrophe

"Ageing population, labour shortages and low productivity mean UK needs net inward migration of 200,000 a year, says thinktank."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...uk-since-brexit-vote-fuels-net-migration-drop

Net immigration figures down for the second quarter running since the Brexit vote.

"The sharp fall in the politically sensitive net migration figure for the second consecutive quarter confirms that the Brexit vote last June has led to significant numbers of EU nationals deciding not to make Britain their home."

Will the last immigrant to leave please turn off the lights? :winking:

Say's who? Your beloved left wing Guardian by any chance was it? :nope: It was! Well stone me. Who'd have guessed :smile:

Incidentally, how many of those that have gone back to Poland or elsewhere in the EU had a full or part time job here in the UK and paid into the national coffers and how many were claiming benefits?

How many of those that have gone back to whence they came have gone back earlier than they'd initially planned?

How many of those not coming to these shore were actually put off doing so by the Brexit vote because as your oh so often quoted rag say's they may have 'possibly' been put off. Not definitely as you imply :winking:

I also see your not adverse to a little selective quoting either. No where does it say ..... "The sharp fall in the politically sensitive net migration figure for the second consecutive quarter confirms that the Brexit vote last June has led to significant numbers of EU nationals deciding not to make Britain their home." It does say "The sharp fall in the politically sensitive blah blah blah" but that's where it ends and you've just made the rest up yourself. Shockingly amateurish debating skills Barna, shocking.

Please, do try harder old chap. You also may want to try forming an opinion and arguing it on here rather than quoting, and quoting badly, from biased media.

Say's who? Your beloved left wing Guardian by any chance was it? :nope: It was! Well stone me. Who'd have guessed :smile:

Incidentally, how many of those that have gone back to Poland or elsewhere in the EU had a full or part time job here in the UK and paid into the national coffers and how many were claiming benefits?

How many of those that have gone back to whence they came have gone back earlier than they'd initially planned?

How many of those not coming to these shore were actually put off doing so by the Brexit vote because as your oh so often quoted rag say's they may have 'possibly' been put off. Not definitely as you imply :winking:

I also see your not adverse to a little selective quoting either. No where does it say ..... "The sharp fall in the politically sensitive net migration figure for the second consecutive quarter confirms that the Brexit vote last June has led to significant numbers of EU nationals deciding not to make Britain their home." It does say "The sharp fall in the politically sensitive blah blah blah" but that's where it ends and you've just made the rest up yourself. Shockingly amateurish debating skills Barna, shocking.

Please, do try harder old chap. You also may want to try forming an opinion and arguing it on here rather than quoting, and quoting badly, from biased media.

The "brave new world" that you and your fellow Kippers envisage for the UK after Brexit really doesn't interest me at all.I'm truly glad I won't be part of it.

Edit.The quotation that I took from The Guardian was accurate when I quoted it-which is precisely why I put it in quotation marks.As I'm sure you're aware,it's not unusual for articles in online editions of papers to be revised.

Last edited:
The "brave new world" that you and your fellow Kippers envisage for the UK after Brexit really doesn't interest me at all.I'm truly glad I won't be part of it.

Edit.The quotation that I took from The Guardian was accurate when I quoted it-which is precisely why I put it in quotation marks.As I'm sure you're aware,it's not unusual for articles in online editions of papers to be revised.

Nice try. Plausible deniability. A favourite tactic of many a rabid leftie lol

Identifying sarcasm isn't one of your strong suits is it Barna lol

And just for the record. Four professional and one amateur but there you go.

Actually,I was responding to your sarcasm in kind,hence the smiley.

As for journalists we're pretty similar,though one of the guys I know is the editor of an online Spanish daily and an ex-EL Pais correspondent in Moscow.

This is all up in the air again. Clearly May can not go to Brussels and expect anything other than scorn.
What happens next?
My guess is a lot of nothing, with no brexit talking movement; and the next move is for the EU to come up with it's plans for reform: and then the British public might be open to compromise.

After the election, it's going to have to be the softest of Brexits imaginable.

The funny thing is Brexit has actually had the opposite effect with some people I know. All three are Indian nationals that have lived the UK for a very long time. All three want to move back, and were making plans to do so. However, since Brexit all three now can't afford to because of the weakened pound.

Talk about the law of unintended consequences.

Last edited:
After the election, it's going to have to be the softest of Brexits imaginable.

No it won't. A 'soft Brexit' (i.e. staying in the single market and ergo freedom of movement) would not be Brexit. The EU has actually said this isn't on the table. Immigration was clearly a major factor in the referendum and if we kept freedom of movement it would be a massive betrayal.

Don't forget, Labour committed to Brexit in their manifesto, and they've said that when we leave that will end freedom of movement. Corbyn is arguably more of a Eurosceptic than May. I think there's more to this election result than the Remainers fighting back, if that was the case the Lib Dems would've done better as they positioned themselves as the anti-Brexit party. A lot of the panellists in the BBC studio this morning were suggesting that domestic issues (austerity, NHS, police cuts etc) have actually played a bigger part.

Back