• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hard to like SUFC at the moment

palexander

Life President
Anyone else feeling little but apathy for SUFC at the moment?

I've been a supporter since '86 and been all over the place and had season tickets etc. But this season and what is happening is just depressing.

The squad is being stripped bare and replaced by cheap alternatives, loans and in most cases, nothing at all. People saying Revell/Betsy are crap anyway etc are missing the point - we are surely a better squad with them IN it at the moment, than being further reduced in numbers?

Revell should probably have started Saturday and I'd rather have Betsy involved either in the first XI or from the bench, than playing for Wycombe.

Spencer is an unknown quantity and I'm not holding my breath given his record.

With all that is going on with the playing side, the generally average results and the rubbish being spouted regularly from the hierachy (management and directors), I feel like I have little inside to give in way of support.

I know if I was at a game, I'd be up for it and cheering the guys on etc, but finding the motivation to even care about getting to a game is the problem at the moment.

Perhaps I just have more important things to worry about.

Anyways, all the best to Revs and Betsy and thanks for your efforts chaps.

I've been a supporter since '86 and been all over the place and had season tickets etc. But this season and what is happening is just depressing.

The squad is being stripped bare and replaced by cheap alternatives, loans and in most cases, nothing at all. People saying Revell/Betsy are crap anyway etc are missing the point - we are surely a better squad with them IN it at the moment, than being further reduced in numbers?

Revell should probably have started Saturday and I'd rather have Betsy involved either in the first XI or from the bench, than playing for Wycombe.

With all that is going on with the playing side, the generally average results and the rubbish being spouted regularly from the hierachy (management and directors), I feel like I have little inside to give in way of support.

I know if I was at a game, I'd be up for it and cheering the guys on etc, but finding the motivation to even care about getting to a game is the problem at the moment.

Could not agree with you more, the way that the club has treated us, the fans, and the way that RM has alowed King to get away with some of the things that have happened (Revs) is disgusting and demoralising. I really hope the season turns out ok for us, but God knows this board at the moment don't deserve success and don't deserve the support of the fans, thankfully i put the team and the management in a different 'mental folder', i will always support Tilly and the team. UTB.

And the supporters as well.

I am not sure why you are so gutted about the departure of Betsy & Revell. Both were sub standard players. Betsy I thought was ok at this level but I dont think that he is really going to take us forward. If Tillys does not want them then bst we move them on.

I am pleased with the spencer signing not so much that i think he will be amazing but at least he is a full time signing.

Southend are generally a fairly average team lets be honest. we have been spoilt in recent years by over achieving but if you look at the history of the club then I am sure you will find we have spent most years as a mid table side.

I agree its a bit dull at the moment but I hope that its the lull before we kick off if Fossetts Farm does ever happen.

I am not sure why you are so gutted about the departure of Betsy & Revell. Both were sub standard players. Betsy I thought was ok at this level but I dont think that he is really going to take us forward. If Tillys does not want them then bst we move them on.

I am pleased with the spencer signing not so much that i think he will be amazing but at least he is a full time signing.

Southend are generally a fairly average team lets be honest. we have been spoilt in recent years by over achieving but if you look at the history of the club then I am sure you will find we have spent most years as a mid table side.

I agree its a bit dull at the moment but I hope that its the lull before we kick off if Fossetts Farm does ever happen.

What he said.

I don't think it's dull at the moment, more disheartening. With each passing week I can't help but feel that Ron's spinning the fans whatever he thinks will appease us just to keep us quiet. The more I read of what he or the club says regarding the finances the more concerned I get. I'm sure he's trying to reassure us, but as far as I'm concerned it's not working...

I don't think it's dull at the moment, more disheartening. With each passing week I can't help but feel that Ron's spinning the fans whatever he thinks will appease us just to keep us quiet. The more I read of what he or the club says regarding the finances the more concerned I get. I'm sure he's trying to reassure us, but as far as I'm concerned it's not working...[/QUOTE]

Hey, we'll be back in the High Court soon!:O

I dont think its a case at all of Tilly not wanting them. I'm sure if you asked him off the record, he'd rather be travelling to Huddersfield with them, than being forced to be without them...

And being pleased about any full time signing is a bit worrying. Its only a 6 month deal, I bet he is on very little in the way of wages - its quite obviously a like-for-like position deal with Revell - except probably a saving of £1000-15000 a week in wages. Not knocking that, just saying its hardly cause for celebration ON the field.

Not knocking the lad, genuinely hope he comes in and hits the ground running, but as I've said above - his record doesnt suggest he is much cop.

I agree with both points of view.
We would be stuffed without Tilly. He has built a trust and belief amongst our squad, that I fear would be broken immediately with him leaving the club.

Chin up , the last 24 years you have seen the almost all of the highs in the clubs 100 + year history, you have seen 7 seasons of 2nd tier football, 4 promotions, 3 mil stad visits, Stan Collymore and Freddy Eastwood.
True the end of the 90's were dire times , but pre Tilly it was only 5 years, and imo, this "slump" will be considerably shorter than that.

The decisions being made throughout the club are ones designed to ensure financial stability, the light at the end of the tunnel (FF) is moving backwards at the moment and the decisions made in the past 2 years based on FF happening sooner have dragged us back a bit (Players wages and the odd transfer fee we could honestly not afford) , so these are being addressed in the short term.
I would expect Tilly to be forced to revert to type, picking up hungry youngsters, lower league players and the odd "old" pro which is what got him success in the first place.
With the belts pulled tight and a bit of fiscal stability we are likely to find clubs falling around us as finances in football worsen in the next year, and hopefully when the clouds do break and FF realises it potential 2009/10 season will seem a distant memory

I dont think its a case at all of Tilly not wanting them. I'm sure if you asked him off the record, he'd rather be travelling to Huddersfield with them, than being forced to be without them...

And being pleased about any full time signing is a bit worrying. Its only a 6 month deal, I bet he is on very little in the way of wages - its quite obviously a like-for-like position deal with Revell - except probably a saving of £1000-15000 a week in wages. Not knocking that, just saying its hardly cause for celebration ON the field.

Not knocking the lad, genuinely hope he comes in and hits the ground running, but as I've said above - his record doesnt suggest he is much cop.

Well - I woud say to you how many times did Revell and Betsy sit on the bench when there were options to play them before the obvious money troubles. It was apparrant early on that Tilly didnt like either of them. For all we know we may have got rid of these two to bring in new players.

Secondly I think six months for Spencer is right. He clearly has had potential and we can have a look at him without comitting to him. If he is naff we can get rid of him come June if he is good we can try and sign him up longer term by Feb/Mar.

Would you rather we took him on a two year deal and see if h turned out to be good or not?

Chin up , the last 24 years you have seen the almost all of the highs in the clubs 100 + year history, you have seen 7 seasons of 2nd tier football, 4 promotions, 3 mil stad visits, Stan Collymore and Freddy Eastwood.
True the end of the 90's were dire times , but pre Tilly it was only 5 years, and imo, this "slump" will be considerably shorter than that.

The decisions being made throughout the club are ones designed to ensure financial stability, the light at the end of the tunnel (FF) is moving backwards at the moment and the decisions made in the past 2 years based on FF happening sooner have dragged us back a bit (Players wages and the odd transfer fee we could honestly not afford) , so these are being addressed in the short term.
I would expect Tilly to be forced to revert to type, picking up hungry youngsters, lower league players and the odd "old" pro which is what got him success in the first place.
With the belts pulled tight and a bit of fiscal stability we are likely to find clubs falling around us as finances in football worsen in the next year, and hopefully when the clouds do break and FF realises it potential 2009/10 season will seem a distant memory

possibly the best post I have ever seen, exactly how I feel, being in the twenty five year supporting club, its been one hell of a rollercoaster ride with plenty more to come woooooooooooo

possibly the best post I have ever seen, exactly how I feel, being in the twenty five year supporting club, its been one hell of a rollercoaster ride with plenty more to come woooooooooooo

check out the green that i gave the man. first come first served. blue army

I don't think it's dull at the moment, more disheartening. With each passing week I can't help but feel that Ron's spinning the fans whatever he thinks will appease us just to keep us quiet. The more I read of what he or the club says regarding the finances the more concerned I get. I'm sure he's trying to reassure us, but as far as I'm concerned it's not working...

On the field I think its pretty dull. I havent missed a home all season and done a few of the local ones away and I can honstly say its been one of the most unexciting seasons ever.

Who do you really looking forward to watching at the moment. Barnard is well worth the entrance fee for his movement and Laurent in about a third of his games can be exciting other than that I am struggling. Maybe Francis at a push but that is it.

It has been a poor season no doubt and the quality of football frankly has not been a patch on the last few seasons. Tilly has a big rebuilding job in the summer. By my calculations we only have 7 or 8 players contracted beyond this summer so we could have an even thinner squad next season. But I would never feel apathy, I love the club with a fanaticism I dont have for anything else in life. Its that love that makes a lot of us very angry and peed off with how Ron and the board have acted. I dont mind letting players go like Revs and Betsy but the replacements have more often than not been of a poorer quality. One poor striker is let go, another comes in, a rubbish wide player is let go, another is brought in. Only in the goalkeeping dept have we really upgraded over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

From 1921 - 1966 the blues played in Div 3. i wonder what the reaction to that would be now, although for most of that time there was no relegation and only ONE went up!

If 8 years ago someone said would you be happy mid table in league one every single supporter would be overjoyed.

You have hit the nail on the head, we have had a good run over recent years and peoples expectations are now so high that mid table isnt good enough.

By size alone we are what 8th biggest club in this division so even a play off place is playing above our natural place.

What has to be remembered is that this seasons hardships are as a direct result of Ron Martin trying to give us a chance to be more than the 8th biggest club in the league and so that we are in a position that we can achieve what many think we should be achieving already.

Breaking eggs to make the omelette at present, lets hope the eggs dont go off befre the omelette is built, or something.

Back