• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Last tie of the round sees one of Southend's first ever players, Harold Halse up against Jazz drummer1960s midfielder Chico Hamilton.

As i nominated Halse il go for him over Chico, although very hard to justify that selection because of course Harry was so far back. Although i have no idea of the quality of football around that period, Halses goalscoring has to be the greatest of anybody that wore a Southend Shirt.

As i nominated Halse il go for him over Chico, although very hard to justify that selection because of course Harry was so far back. Although i have no idea of the quality of football around that period, Halses goalscoring has to be the greatest of anybody that wore a Southend Shirt.

Halse's goals were in all games - including friendly games, Essex Senior Cup type games and of course league games. However we were playing in the Southern League Division 2 (non-league football, although this was before the FL expanded), so it's difficult to gauge the quality of even his "league" goals. I think his legacy is more his transfer fee, which provided useful funds to help get the club going.

ps Poll now added.

Chico Hamilton for me, I think he was quite under rated by Blues fans at the time, but he went on to spend many seasons at Villa Park many of which were at the top level. He also moved from Roots Hall to Villa Park for a not inconsiderable 50k which at the time would have been about one third of the existing British transfer record. He was highly rated as a youngster at Chelsea and it was a surprise he was released by Chelsea at 18, but he obviously stayed on Tommy Docherty's radar as it was the Doc that signed him for Villa.

As Matt states ^^ Harold Halse made his mark for the Blues in the fee he commanded when he left for Manchester United in 1908 .. back then there was a transfer fee cap in place meaning no player could move for more than £350, United paid £350 for Halse and £350 for Jimmy Axcell though the latter would never figure in the first team up there .. so basically the £700 was all for the services of Halse who would go on and play for England though despite scoring twice would not figure for the three lions again

And this one finishes in a tie. Any last minute pleadings before I cast my deciding vote?

This is getting faintly ridiculous. Comparing two players almost a 100 years apart is daft. In Halse's case it won't be by memory, will it?

This is getting faintly ridiculous. Comparing two players almost a 100 years apart is daft. In Halse's case it won't be by memory, will it?

Couldn't agree more. Much as I enjoy taking part, I cannot justify a vote in this case. I suggest the timescale be restricted to Post War or even players from Roots Hall seasons only. That way, I believe more people would participate.

Back